Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #601
Aquarium Advice Addict

i say yes, that much lr will circumvent the need to cycle.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #602
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

woot! i was thinking that. Kinda glad now I threw in all that extra rock a few months ago. I had hoped to start this tank with all base rock so I'd have no critters but I just don't think I can wait that long. lol

I think the first two fish i will put in will be the butterfly and the angel. Then wait til sometime in February to add anything else. At least thats the plan. It seems most of the fish i want I may be ordering from LA and it 's so much cheaper to get multiple fish at once what with their $35 shipping.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #603
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
woot! i was thinking that. Kinda glad now I threw in all that extra rock a few months ago. I had hoped to start this tank with all base rock so I'd have no critters but I just don't think I can wait that long. lol

I think the first two fish i will put in will be the butterfly and the angel. Then wait til sometime in February to add anything else. At least thats the plan. It seems most of the fish i want I may be ordering from LA and it 's so much cheaper to get multiple fish at once what with their $35 shipping.
Sounds awesome that the tank will cycle quickly! I can't wait!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 AM   #604
Aquarium Advice Freak

You will still see a cycle just not as big as usual I would still force cycle it to be safe. I've moved a couple tanks with them only tore down for a couple hours and still see a mini cycle even with keeping the rock wet.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #605
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've been moving my live rock from tank to tank over the last year. I've only actually cycled one time and that was with my very first 29g regular tank. I used established rock from a tank breakdown and ended up dosing up to like 20ppm ammonia. LOL It took about a week for it to cycle through that.

So should I dose up ammonia in this tank when I move the live rock over? It's only about 10 feet from the 125g to where the 90g will be so I don't expect any die off. Also using brand new sand too so that shouldnt cause any issues.

I am starting to get this setup ready and putting everything together btu have a couple questions....

I am going with a 2-3 inch sandbed, can I still lay down eggcrate on the bottom of the tank and add my sand adn rock, OR is that not enough sand to cover it properly?

And this is a silly one, but I can't get the collection cup off of the reef octopus skimmer I have. It has a gray plastic screw type nut/bolt thing under the cup. Anyone know what I'm talking about? lol

Thanks for the input everyone, makes me very happy as I get closer and closer to setup time!

Just waiting for this lady to come by tuesday to get the rock and then its tank moving time! lol The only thing left is to drill a hole for the overflow in the stand and that should be easy. Here's hoping anyways hehe...
Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #606
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I've been moving my live rock from tank to tank over the last year. I've only actually cycled one time and that was with my very first 29g regular tank. I used established rock from a tank breakdown and ended up dosing up to like 20ppm ammonia. LOL It took about a week for it to cycle through that.

So should I dose up ammonia in this tank when I move the live rock over? It's only about 10 feet from the 125g to where the 90g will be so I don't expect any die off. Also using brand new sand too so that shouldnt cause any issues.

I am starting to get this setup ready and putting everything together btu have a couple questions....

I am going with a 2-3 inch sandbed, can I still lay down eggcrate on the bottom of the tank and add my sand adn rock, OR is that not enough sand to cover it properly?

And this is a silly one, but I can't get the collection cup off of the reef octopus skimmer I have. It has a gray plastic screw type nut/bolt thing under the cup. Anyone know what I'm talking about? lol

Thanks for the input everyone, makes me very happy as I get closer and closer to setup time!

Just waiting for this lady to come by tuesday to get the rock and then its tank moving time! lol The only thing left is to drill a hole for the overflow in the stand and that should be easy. Here's hoping anyways hehe...
I wouldn't worry about the rock either, I think everything will be fine since it is such a short difference. I hope all goes well when drilling the whole, good luck!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #607
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You have to drill a hole in the tank?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #608
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nah, in the stand for the drilled overflow. the stand has a solid top.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #609
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh that is much better, lol!!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #610
Aquarium Advice Addict

About the protein skimmer, they get stuck pretty easily. I usually just have to twist it really hard.

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com