Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #781
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Arent the black & white butterflys hard to keep? I would LOVE another butterfly, the one I have is so great. Very active and social.

I added stuff today!!!!

Got my red knobby starfish from reefs2go and a purple urchin. I temp accliamted them for 30 min then took an hour and a half to water acclimate.
Th urchin was easy, just used a small net and scooped him in.

WELL, the starfish is a problem. :-( I ended up almost double filling the bucket with my tank water so I drained all the water that I could out and left just enough for the starfish to be submerged since I know its a BIG no no to let him get exposed to air. I then dumped the small bucket into my tank and the starfish slid out, but where oh where did he land? Yep, he landed on the one coral I havent moved out of the 90g yet. Right dead center on my candycane. I've tried to nudge him off but he is really really stuck on there.

I hope he just leaves the coral so I can take it out but if doesnt then I just killed my candycanes. See what happens when you don't think things through all the way? I don't believe I did such a dumb thing.

Anyone with ideas how to get him off the coral? I sure would appreciate it!

Here are 2 pics, one of the new urchin (who is VERY cool to watch, who knew? lol) and one of the flame hawk. He is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I think I'm gonna name him sumo, to me he looks like a japanese sump wrestler. LOL Look at his eyebrows, he so looks like one!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #782
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not really hard to keep heniochus. Mine ate like a pig . He was just a jerk and had to go back to the Lfs .

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #783
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Anyone else think it's an ok idea to get another butterfly? I've read that in general they are peaceful with their own kind but not sure if thats reality or not. lol

Also, starfish is STILL on top of my coral....grr.......
Old 02-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #784
Aquarium Advice Addict

sweetie pie's star ate all of her flower pot corals.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #785
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

aww man, I gotta get that thing of my coral. It's wrapped around the base now touching the flesh just a little bit but I cannot for the life of me pry it off. It's really on there. maybe when it gets dark it will slink away to go to sleep?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #786
Aquarium Advice Addict

it may. if it does your lucky this time. we ended up, too late, putting him in our 125
Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #787
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome carey! I love the new additions! I know for anemones on corals some say to hold the coral with the anemone on it upside down over a bucket so the anemone will eventually fall off. Not sure if that will work in the water though, or with with starfish. Not sure if it hurts anything either.

Good luck!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #788
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well I finally got the starfish off the coral last night. Doesn't look like he did any damage to it.

On my journeys today I came across a fairy wrasse so he is acclimating now. I think I have hit the magic number for wrasses so now it's just a couple more fish and stocking will be done!

Pictures in a bit. I know it's a fairy but not sure what kind so when I post the picture if anyone can help me out that'd be great.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #789
Aquarium Advice Addict

That urchin looks super awesome.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #790
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks. I never had an urchin so I figured it was time to try one. lol he's pretty cool so far and amazingly quick. One minute he's in a corner next he's on the other side of the tank. hehe

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com