Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #861
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
Oh yeah, I was also going to say that he could be hiding like Candy or the Yellow Watchman did!

I wanted to ask you....waht is your water change system? (like as far as taking water out, where does it go, putting water back in, how you get it there, how long it all takes etc.) Thanks.

I have two 32g brute garbage cans about 15ft away from both tanks on the patio out back. I use a mag drive hooked up to hosing and drain the tank that way, much faster than the python I was using. lol Then I have my B/f at the ready near the can and he drops the same pump in the can to fill the tank back up. I'm guessing it's about a half hour job start to finish. I hold the hose to fill the tank and when I say 'when" the b/f pulls the pump.

It's still a major ordeal doing the water changes but it's much better than the buckets I was using. I used to fill up like 15 buckets and do it the really hard way. lol

Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #862
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, very helpful!!

I am still doing the whole bucket thing.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #863
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can use any pump to do the changes with, even a smaller one if necessary. Rio makes some really cheap pumps or even maybe an aquatraders one. It used to take me hours with the buckets. i also used to drain into buckets so I could see how much water I took out. LOL so thats like 30 buckets to lug. i also only put 3g in the buckets since I'm a chick and can't lift them with a full 5g in them. lol Even using the python will help you out if you have one.

You have to make the water changes easy and more pleasant or you won't keep doing them. LOL
Old 03-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #864
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I have two 32g brute garbage cans about 15ft away from both tanks on the patio out back. I use a mag drive hooked up to hosing and drain the tank that way, much faster than the python I was using. lol Then I have my B/f at the ready near the can and he drops the same pump in the can to fill the tank back up. I'm guessing it's about a half hour job start to finish. I hold the hose to fill the tank and when I say 'when" the b/f pulls the pump.

It's still a major ordeal doing the water changes but it's much better than the buckets I was using. I used to fill up like 15 buckets and do it the really hard way. lol
So the pump drains the water out of the tank by reverse siphoning? Or is the pump in the tank? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #865
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I actually drop the pump into the main tank and turn it on. The hose goes to the bathroom which is like 6 feet away, into the tub.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #866
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you, which kind of mag drive do you have?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #867
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use either a 5 or a 7. They are both 1/2 inch fittings. If you go to a mag 9 then it's 3/4 inch.

I only use such expensive pumps cause i happen to have them. You can get the same result from a rio pump too.

I even use a maxi jet pump now to water change my 20g and the cube. I just use it to drain into buckets instead of me ladling water out. It seems to be an easier time on the fish as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #868
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! So regardless what pump you buy, how many GPH should it have?

My 125g and 55g are in my basement, so I need one to get it up the stairs, LOL.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #869
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

oh, if youre going to be running a long length then I would suggest the biggest pump you can get. I'm only going 15 feet give or take. Can it go out a basement window maybe?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #870
Aquarium Advice Addict

There actually is one but on the other side of the basement, LOL. No fair, now I will have to pay a fortune for a pump,

Thanks for the help!!

Tags
build, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com