Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would you say is the typical weight in rocks that should be in the 29g?

IMO break 'em up and build a bit higher. I'm more a fan of fancy scapes though :)

You think so? I was thinking no corals in this so I don't need coral "platforms" but I haven't built tall rockscapes yet..Maybe the big rock on the right could get crushed a bit? I was using it as a cave and to cover the ugly live rock i added..

I'm just a fan regardless. Especially when the hardscape is nothing but rock, then you can't have ugly pieces covered in coral

I don't necessarily mean tower-like, just higher in the tank. Maybe take a look at Zer0's build threads, he makes awesome 'scapes

Anyway this is JMO, you can leave it how you want of course. I won't knock you for not having a rock structure that I don't like

I still have to drain the tank again to move it back in place after fixing the leak so maybe4 I will re arrange and break that large on up. I planned on getting a blenny/goby so I wanted them to have a hidey hole. lol

:2gunfire:I am getting really frustrated with this cube!! It appears to be still leaking and I think it may be the seal along the bottom where the black meets the glass on the left side.

I guess my $100 bio cube deal was a bust. I could just strangle that guy. He had the water in but not all the way filled up which is when it leaks.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to just empty it and toss the **** thing. I've spent several hundred bucks on this thing already and I'm not even sure its ok.

Awe I would try to repair it, that sucks though:( I was looking forward to this, and im sure you were even more!

I do like the rock better, not that it matters now :(

carey said:
:2gunfire:I am getting really frustrated with this cube!! It appears to be still leaking and I think it may be the seal along the bottom where the black meets the glass on the left side.

I guess my $100 bio cube deal was a bust. I could just strangle that guy. He had the water in but not all the way filled up which is when it leaks.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to just empty it and toss the **** thing. I've spent several hundred bucks on this thing already and I'm not even sure its ok.

Wow that's messed up sorry to hear that

So, I'm done sulking and swearing over here. I am so p.o.'d but I got a problem to fix. On a good note, my bulbs and my koralia just came. I was VERY VERY worried about the lights working since he sold it to me with no bubs, but they work. whew... another huge disaster averted.

My plan is to go get some aquarium clear silicone and seal the lower left edge. I can see where the current silicone is not going all the way up like it does on the rest of the beading. I figure just go over it. I'm so not removing the whole strip and resealing the whole cube. I hope what I plan will work.

The leak on the back right corner is holding with the silicone I put on last night so thats a good thing.

Guess this is going to test how much I love this hobby cause I feel I gotta stick it out and see this tank to completion.

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions. if you have any other ideas please toss them in cause I'm just going on instinct here.

Took some shots of the cube now that I have lights. overall i am pleased with most of the rockwork. Might still break the big one on the right a bit.

i took pictures to show where the leaks are. Oh, yeah, bonus, I found one on the front so I guess I may seal around the whole bottom. It's gonna look like crapola but I think i can live with it.

img_1302048_0_a7b61119bf973ea33aa4c9ed6034d1df.jpg

img_1302048_1_c35ab928dc400a4e909703288853e48d.jpg

img_1302048_2_d37fc805b1ae9ac24f97053e481f6ca2.jpg

img_1302048_3_0cfdd05a54aa9f72a1378355682b38c8.jpg

I've been working on the tank for the last few hours and i think I got it done. :-D

The problem turned out to be where the black plastic meets the glass. If you press it with your finger water welled up from behind the black plastic. I went along the left side with silicone and it's holding. I also went ahead and relined the front. It doesn't look great really close up but I guess it will have to do. Won't know until tomorrow I guess if it holds.

I also got a few more lbs of LR when I was at the lfs. Added it mostly to my wet/dry compartment and the rest spread in the cube. Got some nice coralline algae on the pieces.

So what do I do now? Wait until tomorrow and start cycling? Or should I start tonight. The LR from the 55g has been in since yesterday. What should I dose up to with the ammonia? go straight for the 4ppm? Or start small since I only have about 15lbs lr?

Thanks!

Back on track- I HOPE lol

You won't need to dose anything. Unless the rock you got from your LFS is uncured you'll probably see nothing but a small cycle since you added cured rock from your 55G

Test and post and we'll go from there

Just tested. Shows some ammonia, maybe .25 or .50 cant tell...see picture..

You think it will cycle that fast with only 15lbs or so of LR? Will having 30lbs of base rock make the cycle take longer? How long do ya think til the base becomes live? It looks so white in there! lol

Thanks for your help!

img_1302371_0_d3a7ebb2c8d1d80908a69c3c17b34ce1.jpg

Oh forgot, if you can't tell ammonia, trites and trates from left to right. :-DD

i'm no good with determining that stuff lol.

If by "live" you mean the same coloration as your LR, then months. If you mean containing BB, then a month or less.

I think the BR might make it take a bit longer, but not too much. You're already seeing the cycle start and that tiny bit of ammonia (Comparing to a regular cycle) might just be all you see as far as a spike

Wow, I really figured I'd have a couple weeks to go. I'm in no rush to put any fish in just nice if it was cycled. i was thinking on first adding a shrimp and a couple snails, maybe couple hermits. Nothing crazy...

So I guess it's just a wait and test kind of thing now? Would dosing help or just do what I'm doing?

I love my big tanks, but this is my baby and I wanna do it right. :)

The die-off from your established LR should be enough to get you through the cycle.

Gonna get those crazy platinum clowns?

Back
Top Bottom