Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #1661
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I went ahead and did it!!!! I now have an ORA Blue Mandarin! She's acclimating right now so I'll be posting pictures soon!

SOOOO excited! She's a tiny little thing, she was part of a pair but I couldnt take both so I choose the female that was eating mysis.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #1662
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Some not so great pictures, I'm too excited so zi just took a couple shots! Couldnt wait LOL

Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #1663
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Such a beautiful fish, im glad you got it!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #1664
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've been wanting one for almost 8 months and finally feel I am ready. Well, maybe as ready as I can be anyways.

My new baby...she's almost ready to go in the tank! I hope she doesnt disappear like the other fish in the rocks, I'd love to see her out and about with her blue little fins afluttering...
Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #1665

Hey AA!

I have been coming to this website for almost a year now and finally decided to make a profile. I have been keeping saltwater fish and corals for 3 years now. I just had to post on here about this mandarin.

Mandarins are among the most beautiful but most difficult fish to keep. I'm not sure that you are ready to properly care for it. I don't mean any offense, but it really looks like you are trying to run before you crawl. You have been doing saltwater fish for 4-5 months and have rushed resulting in several deaths thus far. I can't help but notice people refer you to new posters because your post count is so high they assume you are an experienced reef keeper. I really am just posting to advise you to slow down, take a step back and focus on keeping one reef for a significant period of time with sucess before you try to keep three. I wish you good luck with your ORA, but they usually revert back to pods and it will starve in your biocube.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #1666
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well thanks for making a profile to comment.

If you havent noticed I am the first one to warn people about mandarins, they are so beautiful yet most die of starvation unless cared for properly. I've had the biocube up a few months but had a sw tank before that one. I have a total of 7 tanks starting from last year. I've had successful reefs and that has propelled me to buy bigger tanks and keep upgrading.

My rushing into stuff had nothing most liekly to do with the death count in the 125g tank, a sick fish was introduced and I didn't qt. For that, shame on me.

If the mandarin reverts back to pods I have a supply already in the cube, I keep a fuge for the tank and for in case my scooter dragonet reverts back as well. I had a bit of trouble getting him on prepared foods but that worked out fine so far.

And as a worse case scenario the mandarin can go into the 125g which has an over abundance of pods.

Bases are covered I believe, to the best of my ability. Part of the reason I forked over extra cash and waited so long for an ORA one was to give me the best chance at keeping her alive and well.

As for the rest of your post, think what you will. I believe I have a great knowledge base from all my experiences and am only here to help others. If thats a bad thing well, so be it.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #1667

You say you have kept sucessful reefs but you've only been keeping saltwater tanks for 5 months. I wouldn't consider a tank established after 5 months, let alone successful. I just feel you aren't doing due diligence. You just separated a pair of blue mandarins, putting more stress on an already difficult species.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #1668

BTW, rushing had more to do with your 125 then you apparently believe. Introducing that much live stock in such a short period of time increased stress. This weakened your fishes immune systems making them more susceptible to the disease introduced by lack of quality QT.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #1669
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Maybe you havent gotten the "gist" of this website. It is for helping others not for attacking them.Constructive critisism is always welcome but not in the way youa re going about it. Thus far I have not had any issues with people like you and hope it goes back to that way. I'm not a child, I've been keeping fish for over 25 years so I do have a clue.

I introduced 3 fish over 3 weeks in the 125g, so don't tell me I stocked too quickly. It was a sick fish, while I take responsibilty for putting him it was not human erorr. Those were the first fish I ever lost, sw or fw and I took it very hard.

Refer to the old adage, if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #1670
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
@fishavenger, its good to voice your concern about te mandarin, but caey taught a scooter blenny to eat prep, and has sveral tanks with pods.
I dobt know if you followed the whole thread but i dont think her tank was really rushed, and neither did many members on here. Some diseases are going to get through any fishes immune system when exposed, plus there is no assurity it was a disease that killed her fish.

Tags
bio, bio cube, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com