Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #1671

I'm not really being mean. I'm just stating facts and offering some advice. Your crucial error has been rushing in all your builds. I posted because I felt bad, it seems like every other day you are posting that you are discouraged because of losses. I mean, correct me if I am wrong but you have lost almost half of what you'be introduced. A handful of shrimp, the tangs, clownfish, corals, etc... I am trying to be helpful, you are taking it the wrong way.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh
@fishavenger, its good to voice your concern about te mandarin, but caey taught a scooter blenny to eat prep, and has sveral tanks with pods.
I dobt know if you followed the whole thread but i dont think her tank was really rushed, and neither did many members on here. Some diseases are going to get through any fishes immune system when exposed, plus there is no assurity it was a disease that killed her fish.
This is a great point. But when you experience issues and can't pin the cause stop building on a shaky foundation and go back to genesis. Yes many members told her it was ok to keep throwing livestock in a tank that was running for two weeks, that doesn't make it right. I can't say what happened for sure, but I can tell you going back to inception works every time.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #1673
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is just getting silly. Normally I would just let it blow by me....I almost lost a coral due to my clowns hosting it. I ended up saving it in an empty tank and giving it to someone. Other than that my corals have absolutely flourished, most triling in size since early this year.

The death count from that one incident were the 2 tangs, 2 clowns, a gramma and the anthias which wasnt eating. The shrimp I feel are being eaten by something, whether it be the tangs, clowns or the pistol shrimp. I won't be restocking them as I know where it may likely lead. While 6 fish is alot in my mind, in comparison to the actual number of fish I have bought it is a small number.

We've all made errors in judgement and I know I learn from my mistakes.

Can we just get back on track and admire my new fish? The one I've been coveting for soooo long? That was the point in my posting.

And if it absolutely came down to it, and she couldnt make it any of my tanks do you really think I would let it starve to death? Really? Cause if you do then you are making a HUGE assumption and you'd be wrong. The fish come first in my life, as silly as that may sound.

Oh, and the 125g was an upgrade from my 55g, it wasnt a brand new build that I threw fish into. I have 200lb of good solid healthy rock and had no cycle other than a tiny spike in ammonia, which of course subsided before adding any livestock.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #1674

I know the 125 was an upgrade, I read the thread. But you were doubling your water volume. This was no small upgrade and you ran it nowhere near enough time before the switch. I'm glad your starting to learn, but my point is when shrimp are being preyed upon how do you wait until all 5 have become shrimp cocktail to take action. Mistakes like that are completely avoidable. Your beautiful new fish is already off to a bad start, stressed from both relocation and separation as opposed to only the former. So you are learning in some regards, but completely ignoring issues in others. Denial doesn't get you anywhere in this hobby. You have to own mistakes, you fried a brain coral, the answer is not never buy another. The lesson is figure out what happened, and make it a successful endeavor. You've had some issues with fish so get off to the right start next time. Are you going to QT this mandarin?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #1675
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
why dont we all just move on
Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #1676

I am moving on. Is she going to apply a lesson learned from the 125 and quarantine the mandarin?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #1677
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The mandarin was ordered and held for me for the last 3 weeks.

I am getting sick of this. Really. You made your point in the first post why continue? And yes, I forgot about the brain coral, again, things happen. So one dead coral on my record. And I didn't fry it, it was on the sandbed and went downhill quickly. It happens. And I take great offense to the do nothing action with the shrimp. I do whatever I have to for my livestock, to my own detriment at times so please lets move on.

this is supposed to be a happy thread, with people enjoying a new beautiful fish. Not with this back and forth.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #1678
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAvenger View Post
I am moving on. Is she going to apply a lesson learned from the 125 and quarantine the mandarin?
this post doesnt seem much like moving on to me lol
Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #1679

There is no more back and forth, I asked if you intend to QT the mandarin so you don't risk another wipeout? It's an honest question.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #1680
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I think I'm done here too hack. Took all the fun outta my new fish, but hey what am I gonna do? lol

On another note, it was so cute when I put the mandarin in, she immediately went to the scooter who was so startled by this itty bitty fish he almost jumped out of the tank! He was scared of this tiny little thing. The citron goby is doing well with her and the watchman doesnt seem to care either way. Gld I moved those clowns out of here, they would have given her grief I just know it!

Tags
bio, bio cube, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com