Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #1781
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For those wondering about the skimmer for the biocube....

So today i found a nearly new biocube protein skimmer for $20 and just figured I'd try it. I know they get bad reviews but for $20 i was willing to get first hand experience. I have it adjusted already so just the tiniest bit of foam is going to the top of the neck. I installed it in the furthest to the right compartment as I have a fuge and media baskets in the center compartment.

I will update as it goes and let you all know.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #1782
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yikes!!!! My eyes are crossed

Carey,

Thanks for the thread, I read IT ALL today on my day off. Its like reading a book for crying out loud!!!

I will start a thread when I get a little closer to launching my build but I wanted to say thank you for all the info....really really great stuff. I think you made all the right moves and plan on doing an extremely simular tank setup (if not exact). I hope to have a pair of clowns as the focus but have alot more soft coral when i'm done with mine.

Couple of links to You Tube vids that have me interested if you dont mind taking a look (You Tube is such a great place for ideas):

Biocube 14 Gallon Saltwater Aquarium - YouTube

BioCube 8 Reef Tank with LED upgrades, as well as a Fuge, Protein skimmer, Auto top Off - YouTube

These tanks are more of the "feel" I'm going to shoot for and Ill be sure to ask you for your opinions and any advise.

Again, thanks for all the great info and the Im sure my eyes will uncross by morning.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #1783
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks so very much, I am really glad when someone says they learned something from my threads, thats the whole reason I make em.

That 8g cube you linked is awesome, I love the corals. I havent put corals into the cube yet, if ever but thats something to strive for.

Make you you have a thread when youre ready, would love to see what you incarnation will be. Tanks are like like fingerprints, no two are ever the the same. lol
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #1784
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Great news today!! My mandy finally ate some mysis shrimp. I saw her eat at least one and it was quite large too. Finally!! I knew all this pampering with the food choices she would come around. She still is eating the cyclops and plankton but at least she has added something else to her diet. Off to get some more pe-mysis hopefully today. woot!! I feel so much better now about keeping her in the cube now.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #1785
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congratulations! That Is a great start to a healthy mandarin! I saw one at my lfs today and it was absolutely beautiful. You are so Lucky lol
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #1786
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks, it's taken her a few weeks to get to this point and so many times I was prepared to move her to the 125g and let her just eat pods.

My stupid little bio cube skimmer still inst working well btw. I regret spending the $20 now. But at least I know for sure. Will keep it running to be sure its garbage. Then I'll probably sell it on CL.
LOL
Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #1787
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
One of these? Oceanicģ BioCube Protein Skimmer - Saltwater - Fish - PetSmart

They are junk.

BUT for the 29gal if you remove all the crap out of the middle chamber you can fit in a tunze 9002 ( Tunze DOC 9002 Nano Protein Skimmer by Tunze - AquaCave )

You'll have to cut the hood or go to here to and get the rectangle collection cup. Id pick up the media basket then too.

Biocube 29 Media Basket
Upgraded Tunze Cup

The skimmer is a BEAST and works wonders.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #1788
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I already have a media basket and fuge in the center compartment. I am looking at the tunze for my newest build.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #1789
Aquarium Advice Freak

My skimmer isn't working to bad still needs some tweaking but for what it is it's ok
Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #1790
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The aqualife 115 fits in the 1st chamber and is a skimming beast!

Tags
bio, bio cube, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com