Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
That is bad news bears I'm sorry...

Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #192
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I am getting really frustrated with this cube!! It appears to be still leaking and I think it may be the seal along the bottom where the black meets the glass on the left side.

I guess my $100 bio cube deal was a bust. I could just strangle that guy. He had the water in but not all the way filled up which is when it leaks.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to just empty it and toss the **** thing. I've spent several hundred bucks on this thing already and I'm not even sure its ok.
Wow that's messed up sorry to hear that

Old 04-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #193
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So, I'm done sulking and swearing over here. I am so p.o.'d but I got a problem to fix. On a good note, my bulbs and my koralia just came. I was VERY VERY worried about the lights working since he sold it to me with no bubs, but they work. whew... another huge disaster averted.

My plan is to go get some aquarium clear silicone and seal the lower left edge. I can see where the current silicone is not going all the way up like it does on the rest of the beading. I figure just go over it. I'm so not removing the whole strip and resealing the whole cube. I hope what I plan will work.

The leak on the back right corner is holding with the silicone I put on last night so thats a good thing.

Guess this is going to test how much I love this hobby cause I feel I gotta stick it out and see this tank to completion.

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions. if you have any other ideas please toss them in cause I'm just going on instinct here.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Took some shots of the cube now that I have lights. overall i am pleased with most of the rockwork. Might still break the big one on the right a bit.

i took pictures to show where the leaks are. Oh, yeah, bonus, I found one on the front so I guess I may seal around the whole bottom. It's gonna look like crapola but I think i can live with it.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #195
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've been working on the tank for the last few hours and i think I got it done.

The problem turned out to be where the black plastic meets the glass. If you press it with your finger water welled up from behind the black plastic. I went along the left side with silicone and it's holding. I also went ahead and relined the front. It doesn't look great really close up but I guess it will have to do. Won't know until tomorrow I guess if it holds.

I also got a few more lbs of LR when I was at the lfs. Added it mostly to my wet/dry compartment and the rest spread in the cube. Got some nice coralline algae on the pieces.

So what do I do now? Wait until tomorrow and start cycling? Or should I start tonight. The LR from the 55g has been in since yesterday. What should I dose up to with the ammonia? go straight for the 4ppm? Or start small since I only have about 15lbs lr?

Thanks!

Back on track- I HOPE lol
Old 04-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #196
Aquarium Advice Addict

You won't need to dose anything. Unless the rock you got from your LFS is uncured you'll probably see nothing but a small cycle since you added cured rock from your 55G

Test and post and we'll go from there
Old 04-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #197
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just tested. Shows some ammonia, maybe .25 or .50 cant tell...see picture..

You think it will cycle that fast with only 15lbs or so of LR? Will having 30lbs of base rock make the cycle take longer? How long do ya think til the base becomes live? It looks so white in there! lol

Thanks for your help!

Oh forgot, if you can't tell ammonia, trites and trates from left to right. D
Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #198
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm no good with determining that stuff lol.

If by "live" you mean the same coloration as your LR, then months. If you mean containing BB, then a month or less.

I think the BR might make it take a bit longer, but not too much. You're already seeing the cycle start and that tiny bit of ammonia (Comparing to a regular cycle) might just be all you see as far as a spike
Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #199
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow, I really figured I'd have a couple weeks to go. I'm in no rush to put any fish in just nice if it was cycled. i was thinking on first adding a shrimp and a couple snails, maybe couple hermits. Nothing crazy...

So I guess it's just a wait and test kind of thing now? Would dosing help or just do what I'm doing?

I love my big tanks, but this is my baby and I wanna do it right.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #200
Aquarium Advice Addict

The die-off from your established LR should be enough to get you through the cycle.

Gonna get those crazy platinum clowns?

Tags
bio, bio cube, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com