Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he will be fine, scooter blennys are a lot easier to train onto prepared foods, mine is the fattest fish in my seahorse tank, he will even swim into open water to grab at the food. Yours does look a little skinny but mine was probably just skin and bones when i got him, close to death I'm sure. I think this fish will do much better in your care than if you return him to any fish store.

Here's a video of the tank hes in, you can see him in the end. I've never tried to feed him flakes before though since the seahorses won't eat flakes so that tank only gets frozen.

YouTube - 40 gallon seahorse hex tank

I'm doing what was suggested above. I'm trying all my frozen foods. I tried baby bbrine shrimp last night but no luck as far as I could tell. He didn't take to the emerald entree one either. I'm trying brine shrimp in a few minutes when it melts.

I have to start making phone calls soon and see if I can get someone to take him in. I'm not optimistic. :-(

I may try live brine or see if I can buy pods locally. I wanna start the pod tank but reeflcelaners is out of pods right now. I saw them elsewhere but they are $15 a bag and I need five and their $40 shipping!!!

I'm still totally beside myself on this issue. On a brighter note the dragonet seems very happy. He buried himself to go to sleep. He's out and about already. As a side note, this is a dragonet right, technically. It's not a blenny is it?

Thom, thanks so much. Your advice is keeping me from totally freaking out in tears. I would never had bought it if I knew. I've been tossing around getting a mandarin but I would have been alot more prepared and I would have made sure the ora one ate before purchase.

Part of what really upsets me is the store didn't tell me. I specifically asked if it was for more established tanks casue I had wanted a sandsifter goby awhile ago but she told me no, needs critters in the sand to feed. She also refuses to sell me a mandarin. She told me maybe at the end of the year when my 55g was up to it. So why go to all that trouble and then sell me something comparable? I really have trusted this store and have not had one single problem with anything I have bought there. Do I hold this against them and find a new store?

I'm sorry I'm rambling, I'm just, like I said above, distraught and I'm just typing what I'm thinking.

Thanks for listening folks.

I think that your LFS sounds like a conscientious and well informed group of folks. They have given you good advice and have gotten to know a bit about your situation, refusing to sell you things that they know you aren't ready for. But in the end it boils down to this. They are a fish store who are in the business of selling fish. They appear to do it in as ethical a manner as they can, but they sell things to people who want to buy them. If they only sold fish to people who they thought were prepared to care for them in a manner which was 100% beneficial to the fish, they would be out of business in less than a year. The responsibility of research falls directly on your shoulders. I think it's a little unfair to blame buying an unsuitable fish on a fish store. That being said...
Don't be so hard on yourself. We've all done the exact same thing. You're aware of the issue and this little guy/gal will be better off in your hands than those of someone who doesn't understand why his fish won't swim to the top of the 3 gallon tank to eat the fish food he bought at walmart. Good luck and keep us posted.

Maya said:
I think that your LFS sounds like a conscientious and well informed group of folks. They have given you good advice and have gotten to know a bit about your situation, refusing to sell you things that they know you aren't ready for. But in the end it boils down to this. They are a fish store who are in the business of selling fish. They appear to do it in as ethical a manner as they can, but they sell things to people who want to buy them. If they only sold fish to people who they thought were prepared to care for them in a manner which was 100% beneficial to the fish, they would be out of business in less than a year. The responsibility of research falls directly on your shoulders. I think it's a little unfair to blame buying an unsuitable fish on a fish store. That being said...
Don't be so hard on yourself. We've all done the exact same thing. You're aware of the issue and this little guy/gal will be better off in your hands than those of someone who doesn't understand why his fish won't swim to the top of the 3 gallon tank to eat the fish food he bought at walmart. Good luck and keep us posted.

But the 3 gal tank was okay with the informed walmart person :(... LOL

Thanks for the encouragement maya, I think I could use all I can get right now. I wasn't blaming the fish store, this one is totally on me. I was just vexed cause I trust them so much and asked exactly what i was supposed to. i even ask when I know the answers so i can see if they are truthful too.

I think I may have had some luck with the frozen brine, I turkey basted it on the rocks he is munching on so I'm guessing he got some.

Thom, I've read ALL your mandarin links and because of reading them in the past is why I didn't run out and get one. lol

I know how absolutely difficult they can be and took your warning and others very seriously.

I think it can be done, just gotta have the implementation down. People do in fact keep these fish so it's not impossible.

And here I thought I was just gonna start stocking and go along as usual. This has thrown me for a loop. lol

Well look at it this way, there are several positives in your situation, it's a smaller tank so it's easier to watch, it's the only fish so there is no other competition, and you have already said it may have eaten something. That's a pretty good start in my book.

I'm preparing for the worst case scenario. lol better safe than sorry. here's a shot of what I want to turn into a pod tank. Just needs some cleaning.

I'm figuring a 20lb bag of lr sand (or can I use the sand from my 29g thats empty now?) and a few lbs of LR rubble. Any ideas how much rubble to put in? I also have a preset heater to add in and I think thats it right?

None of my fish stores are open yet so I can't start calling around to find him a home or to find pods.

img_1328687_0_b8242de113851bd25629920776bbde85.jpg

LOL Update. the free 10g I have above is not worthy. the whole bottom fell out when I scrubbed it.

This week is not going well at all.

Well No one will take in the scooter. I did find my lfs will give me some pods for now so heading over there. At least he won't starve today. I'll just have to keep at him with the prepared foods.

You don't need to use a tank, a simple mason jar or glass with a small layer of sand and a few chunks of live rock/rubble stuck in a window will get you started in the meantime while you come up with the correct supplies. Hope this helps you a bit.

Well I went and got the 10g tank and some sand. I'm gonna try to get this baby up and running today. The lfs gave me a bag of pods for the scooter and a huge bag of sand and big pods from their sump for the pod tank. Should be a good start. I also got a thing of brine eggs to raise in a jar too, seemed like a good idea for $5 just incase they like brine shrimp too. :)

I also couldn't resist and got 2 peppermint shrimp for the cube too. I figure they won't hurt anything. Pics below of todays purchases so far. lol

img_1328968_0_cdff65b1f520576f60c3ab2c3d483a30.jpg

img_1328968_1_7f05d5680b95325a3b45a82a37d1fc5e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom