Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #751
Aquarium Advice Freak

I say put a mandarin in your 55g. If you wait until you can get a 125, you'll have to wait even longer for it to mature enough for a mandarin. I think an ORA one will be a safe choice.

Love that little fish too!

1Vampiregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #752
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I love getting votes for the mandarin, alot of people automatically just say no it can't be done. lol

I totally understand the needs and requirements and I think I may be up to the task, but thats a big maybe. And it's totally not unheard of for a prepared foods eating ora one to suddenly refuse those foods and starve.

When I go to the 125g the 55g will be going bye bye, not enough room for them both. So putting him in the 55g means I gotta keep him in there or hope the cube can support him or returning him after I upgrade.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #753

Plan the cube as if you'd be putting him in there and you will have no issues
Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #754
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've gotten alot of mixed feedback as far as the mandarin. Even with me setting up pod tank. I have to take the naysayers into account cause they know more than I do, but then again they don't know how hard i'd work to make it work. So it's a double edged sword. lol
Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #755
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
They also dont want to see such a prettyfish parish.. I say give it a try though
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #756
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Carey, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this and i don't have time to catch up on the thread (studying) but why don't you use that extra 10 gallon for a training tank for the mandarin, set it up with a bit of sand or even just a few pieces of live rocks. Get the mandarin and with it being the only one in the tank it will be a lot easier to train it on frozen foods (if it's not already). You could buy some live food for a backup or even put the mandarin in the 55 gallon if it's not eating.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #757
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms907
Hey Carey, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this and i don't have time to catch up on the thread (studying) but why don't you use that extra 10 gallon for a training tank for the mandarin, set it up with a bit of sand or even just a few pieces of live rocks. Get the mandarin and with it being the only one in the tank it will be a lot easier to train it on frozen foods (if it's not already). You could buy some live food for a backup or even put the mandarin in the 55 gallon if it's not eating.
Thats an excellent idea!!!

But what do you mean you dont have time to catch up there's only 700 some posts in this thread
Old 04-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #758
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
Thats an excellent idea!!!

But what do you mean you dont have time to catch up there's only 700 some posts in this thread
haha yah i know! Every time i take a break to come check there is like 5 new pages. Better get back to studying now, just thought of that idea and had to share haha (you can tell where my mind really is)
Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #759
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If I were to get a mandarin it would be an ora already on prepared foods. My concern is what if he changes his mind and doesn't want prepared food anymore? Even a 20g pod tank wouldn't keep it fed for that long.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #760
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
If I were to get a mandarin it would be an ora already on prepared foods. My concern is what if he changes his mind and doesn't want prepared food anymore? Even a 20g pod tank wouldn't keep it fed for that long.

okay one more post! haha I've read that when they change their minds it's always after bringing them home from the store (maybe all the shipping stresses?). If you had the spare tank set up for it you could ensure its eating well and is good and fat before moving it to the nano (retrain it if necessary). If it's not, move it to the 55 gallon.

Tags
bio, bio cube, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com