Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #941
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think he will be fine, scooter blennys are a lot easier to train onto prepared foods, mine is the fattest fish in my seahorse tank, he will even swim into open water to grab at the food. Yours does look a little skinny but mine was probably just skin and bones when i got him, close to death I'm sure. I think this fish will do much better in your care than if you return him to any fish store.

Here's a video of the tank hes in, you can see him in the end. I've never tried to feed him flakes before though since the seahorses won't eat flakes so that tank only gets frozen.

YouTube - 40 gallon seahorse hex tank

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #942
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you ever tried live shrimp

Old 04-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #943
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm doing what was suggested above. I'm trying all my frozen foods. I tried baby bbrine shrimp last night but no luck as far as I could tell. He didn't take to the emerald entree one either. I'm trying brine shrimp in a few minutes when it melts.

I have to start making phone calls soon and see if I can get someone to take him in. I'm not optimistic. :-(

I may try live brine or see if I can buy pods locally. I wanna start the pod tank but reeflcelaners is out of pods right now. I saw them elsewhere but they are $15 a bag and I need five and their $40 shipping!!!

I'm still totally beside myself on this issue. On a brighter note the dragonet seems very happy. He buried himself to go to sleep. He's out and about already. As a side note, this is a dragonet right, technically. It's not a blenny is it?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #944
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is a dragonet just like a mandarin, commonly called a blenny just like the mandarin is commonly called a goby. Just keep the feeding up, repetition is the key.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #945
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thom, thanks so much. Your advice is keeping me from totally freaking out in tears. I would never had bought it if I knew. I've been tossing around getting a mandarin but I would have been alot more prepared and I would have made sure the ora one ate before purchase.

Part of what really upsets me is the store didn't tell me. I specifically asked if it was for more established tanks casue I had wanted a sandsifter goby awhile ago but she told me no, needs critters in the sand to feed. She also refuses to sell me a mandarin. She told me maybe at the end of the year when my 55g was up to it. So why go to all that trouble and then sell me something comparable? I really have trusted this store and have not had one single problem with anything I have bought there. Do I hold this against them and find a new store?

I'm sorry I'm rambling, I'm just, like I said above, distraught and I'm just typing what I'm thinking.

Thanks for listening folks.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #946
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think that your LFS sounds like a conscientious and well informed group of folks. They have given you good advice and have gotten to know a bit about your situation, refusing to sell you things that they know you aren't ready for. But in the end it boils down to this. They are a fish store who are in the business of selling fish. They appear to do it in as ethical a manner as they can, but they sell things to people who want to buy them. If they only sold fish to people who they thought were prepared to care for them in a manner which was 100% beneficial to the fish, they would be out of business in less than a year. The responsibility of research falls directly on your shoulders. I think it's a little unfair to blame buying an unsuitable fish on a fish store. That being said...
Don't be so hard on yourself. We've all done the exact same thing. You're aware of the issue and this little guy/gal will be better off in your hands than those of someone who doesn't understand why his fish won't swim to the top of the 3 gallon tank to eat the fish food he bought at walmart. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya
I think that your LFS sounds like a conscientious and well informed group of folks. They have given you good advice and have gotten to know a bit about your situation, refusing to sell you things that they know you aren't ready for. But in the end it boils down to this. They are a fish store who are in the business of selling fish. They appear to do it in as ethical a manner as they can, but they sell things to people who want to buy them. If they only sold fish to people who they thought were prepared to care for them in a manner which was 100% beneficial to the fish, they would be out of business in less than a year. The responsibility of research falls directly on your shoulders. I think it's a little unfair to blame buying an unsuitable fish on a fish store. That being said...
Don't be so hard on yourself. We've all done the exact same thing. You're aware of the issue and this little guy/gal will be better off in your hands than those of someone who doesn't understand why his fish won't swim to the top of the 3 gallon tank to eat the fish food he bought at walmart. Good luck and keep us posted.
But the 3 gal tank was okay with the informed walmart person ... LOL
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #948
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post

Thanks for the encouragement maya, I think I could use all I can get right now. I wasn't blaming the fish store, this one is totally on me. I was just vexed cause I trust them so much and asked exactly what i was supposed to. i even ask when I know the answers so i can see if they are truthful too.

I think I may have had some luck with the frozen brine, I turkey basted it on the rocks he is munching on so I'm guessing he got some.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #949
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't hold the whole store accountable for one employee's actions. They were likely a little confused on the matter anyway. A while ago I typed up this, it may be of some help to you....
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...sh-123776.html

I also have a few other links buried if you want them.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #950
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thom, I've read ALL your mandarin links and because of reading them in the past is why I didn't run out and get one. lol

I know how absolutely difficult they can be and took your warning and others very seriously.

I think it can be done, just gotta have the implementation down. People do in fact keep these fish so it's not impossible.

And here I thought I was just gonna start stocking and go along as usual. This has thrown me for a loop. lol

Tags
bio, bio cube, build, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com