Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yep, I went and got tank number 7. LOL

It is in perfect condition but is missing the lights, paid $100 bucks. :-D

My plans for this one are quite simple. I want designer clowns of some type, a blenny and a mandarin goby. I have to wait til my 10g is open so I can use that for breeding pods. But I can always get the goby last anyways.

Not sure how this build will progress as I am gonna take this one slow I think. First step, order the lights! Second step, find a stand for it!

Thanks for reading!

img_1291422_0_0bb48b1416616cbe28e38a19f666c3d9.jpg

Ok first question! How much circulation do I need? I was gonna buy one powerjet should that be ok?

its a 29. I have a 29g sw but I was using 2 koralia 750's in there lol. The one for the bio cube is 250gph. I don't want sand blowing all over though.

How far are you into your nano build?

carey said:
its a 29. I have a 29g sw but I was using 2 koralia 750's in there lol. The one for the bio cube is 250gph. I don't want sand blowing all over though.

How far are you into your nano build?

id say one lower powerd korila and the one with biocube and put them on a crash course so they make a nice light random current n as for my nano all i have is the tank :p check out my thread if u have any info

I have a nano koralia in my 29G on the right side pointing to the front left to intersect the pump output for water movement. I don't know if I'd want to add anymore movement than it already has. I just ordered a nova extreme 4 (24W) bulb fixture for mine to replace the original top. It looks like one of the compact ballast failed, and I figured I'd replace the whole top instead of messing with it.

I have a nano koralia in my 29G on the right side pointing to the front left to intersect the pump output for water movement. I don't know if I'd want to add anymore movement than it already has. I just ordered a nova extreme 4 (24W) bulb fixture for mine to replace the original top. It looks like one of the compact ballast failed, and I figured I'd replace the whole top instead of messing with it.

Super so the one jet should be enough then. Thanks a bunch!

The setup came with bioballs, I want to toss them don't I? Is LR an option in it's place? I've never really looked at a bio cube before today so I am a bit clueless. lol

lol Try again i have a ton of questions!

Bioballs or no bioballs? Skimmer or no skimmer? substrate?

See, more questions. :-D

I tossed out my bioballs and put in LR rubble. I also added the skimmer (personal choice. Really diligent water changes would do the tank well) and used aragonite for my substrate. No real reason for the substrate choice, i've used it in every tank and have quite a bit of it floating around. :)

I started with them (bio balls), but after a month took them out and replaced them to LR rubble. The latest thing I did was take out the grid in the first chamber and put my heater in there. When I took out the grid I found a nice sized feather duster living in there, crown between a quarter and half dollar. What I plan on doing with the lights is allow them to overhang the back of the tank, so I can keep some macro algae if I can fit it above the LR rubble since there is some good water flow in there.

Ahh excellent! I love getting answers and opinions! I had read that LR rubble was better. I don't need any light in there do I? Or is the hood light enough for the rubble? If it even needs light.....

I figure I'll probably go with pwc's instead of another skimmer. But they are cheap so who knows I may buy one eventually.

As far as water movement, am I on the right track with just one nano ph?

Thanks so far, keep it coming. The faster I know what I'm doing the faster I'll get this thing up and running.

The rubble shouldn't need light at all.

The skimmer is my preventative measure if I get a bit behind in waterchanges due to finals week or something. It's helped in the past, :p

As far as powerheads (I tend to not be a fan of too much flow.) I haven't ever needed one in my 14 (not that there's much room for one...), that pump slings water through the tank. You may find the 29 is different.

Yeah, LR won't need any light to do its job. The only reason I want the light to overhang on the back is to put some macro algae in there.

Oh Ok. I get it now. lol

Ok I ws just examining my new cube...there are 3 sections and I have some questions hehe

the first section is the filter section, it has a filter cartridge.
the second is the bio balls, I understand what i have to do
the third s the return section. Is there supposed to be a sponge in there? I have one kinda sitting in there. The return pump is in a box separately does that go all the way down into this cavity or rig it to sit high up?

Thanks again!

Which section do I add a heater to? I almost forgot I need heat

Back
Top Bottom