Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

He's awesome! But quite the price tag for a blenny. lol If i were spending that kind of money I would get a tusk and/or a chevron tang. But I wont', I've kept really well to my under $50 rule, I've hit $50 but never gone over it for one fish.

I've been trying to organize my thoughts for this build so I guess i need input from you all out there. This topic is the return pump. I have a mag18 that I bought like 2 years ago cause I've always known I was going to go up to a 200g tank one day. Should that be enough of a pump to power a six foot tank with I'm guessing 4 outputs? one for each drilled return hole in the hidden overflow thingees? I'm still blindly finding my way with sumps so sorry if thats a dumb question. LOL

Thanks guys, this is just the beginning! i can't wait to get to the stocking part of the build.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey Carey! I've heard of people having good luck feeding anthias with some of the Fauna Marin products, in particular, the Marine Base Color version. Either way, it seems you have to seem them off frozen to the dry stuff over time. They seem to require many feelings throughout
The day too. Hope this helps you along!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #113
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
Hey Carey! I've heard of people having good luck feeding anthias with some of the Fauna Marin products, in particular, the Marine Base Color version. Either way, it seems you have to seem them off frozen to the dry stuff over time. They seem to require many feelings throughout
The day too. Hope this helps you along!
"Ween them off" not "seem them off". Stupid auto-correct...
Old 08-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #114
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
He's awesome! But quite the price tag for a blenny. lol If i were spending that kind of money I would get a tusk and/or a chevron tang. But I wont', I've kept really well to my under $50 rule, I've hit $50 but never gone over it for one fish.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that tried to set a limit. Mine was $30 and that didn't go very well, I bought my midas blenny for $40 and my black occ for $60, I think my coral beauty was $35. So I broke my rule on 3 of my 4 fish.

I wish I could help you out with the return pump thing but I have only bought one and it is still in my dry sump and hasn't seen water yet.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

The mag 18 has what 1800 gph split into 4 returns = 450 gph each return without head loss. I dont think it's enough for a coral tank, i'd say your gonna want some power heads to add more flow. Just be sure the over flows can keep up or the sump will run dry

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #116
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh, I fully intend to go with powerheads, thats another day's conversation though,. LOL i wanna make sure thats enough flow to got hrough my sump. I am going straight berlin, no refugium this time around. I want a HUGE center section so I can get the biggest baddest skimmer I can afford! (we'll see how that plan works out lol). I want 2 separate filter sock inputs too I think, it should cut back on the amount of sock changes wouldnt it?

This tank won't have any SPS really, maybe some monti's, love those, some stunner chalice or something similar. So does that all make a difference then knowing that? I don't want to over power the sump but I also want the most filtration I can get.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes that's plenty of flow through the sump remember the slower the flow the longer the dwell time longer dwell = more filtration. I'd go with 4 socks if you have the room.

Also you can put a valve on the return to slow the flow through the sump as the overflows can only dump as much as there fed. Or tap off and use the extra to run a reactor.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How would I use 4 socks with only two lines coming in?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I like being controversial. I don't use any socks or fine particulate filters at all, never have. My water is clear because my algae scrubber catches stuff. My theory has always been that there are tiny floaters present that are beneficial.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

I avoid them also i figure with a tank full of filter feeders im starving them
Carey you can split the two lines with a T thereby making 4 drains.

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com