Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I asked Mr x in a pm about the sand issue and he suggested starting new would be the easiest and less problematic option. :) I am gonna be bringing the sand home so I can always see how bad it is or just dry it out and sell it off in the future.

It is 2:50 am and I cannnot wait to leave tomorrow morning to go get the setup! I feel like a kid on christmas eve. lol

Plan is to setup everything but the tank in the living room and put the tank out back so I can clean it out thoroughly. Depending on how dirty it is after the water is out will determine when I can set it up officially. Best case scenario is it goes on the stand tomorrow night worst case it sits on the backporch for a week. lol Shouldnt have to water test it as I know it holds water and it will be travelling in a van so it should have minimum movement.

Yay only 9 hours to go!

Took 5 hours to break it down and we just got home. lol Unloading now and need to go back tomorrow and hour and half each way to get the stand, it wouldnt fit. :-(

Got all the sand and rock though and the rock is really pretty underneath all the algae. Its alot of tonga and some other nice rock. The sand is in a 30g garbage can now and didnt look too bad.

I myself like the wood tone over just black

plastic I always used acetone to clean it up remove any oils and crud plus it softens up the plastic and paint adheres better

Ok, I finally have things settled so I can write a nice long post. ;-)

I currently have 2 30g garbage cans full to the brim with live rock as well as a large storage bin. I'm figuring there is well over 200lbs of rock, maybe close to 300. About a third of it is encrusted with some really sharp little things, like dried up tubes from feather dusters. I have no idea really. lol

How long can I keep the rock in there or should I keep it in? The rock dried up a bit on the 2 hour ride home so I expect there will be some die off, but how bad? I don't have any cans left to mix water so I want it out as soon as possible, as long as it's safe. Since there is so much rock I was going to add like 50lbs to the 60g rimless and remove all the crappy aipastia rock out. Theres a couple of aipastias that are almost the size of my hand so I gotta ditch that rock. ( at least dry it out and make base rock). That will leave over 200lbs of rock for the 180g. I was looking the rock over more carefully and there is a good amount of tonga and shelf rock, will be easy to make a reef structure out of it for sure. Theres also some not very porous and rock solid heavy rock, but it still has some great shapes so I think I did real good on the rock side of things. If there is say 250 lbs of it and it runs about $5 a lb here thats over a grand in rock alone. I think my math is right, lol.
Now for some mystery things that I need some help with. I am not sure what skimmer I actually got, it is an ASM, but I thought it was a g2 but might be a g3. It has a sedra5000 pump on it and that comes stock on the g3 but could it be a replacement pump or upgraded? How can I tell the model number of the actual skimmer. If its a g2 then its only good to like 200g if a g3 then it says good for 250g tanks. OR does it not matter about the model # and only goes by the pump?

Mystery number 3- The lighting. It has 3 huge , like HUGE bulbs and 2 6 foot bulbs for actinics. The bulbs are fatter than t5 so then vho? And where the hell do I get 6 foot bulbs at? lol Should i just bag the lighting and sell it off and buy some led's? The bulbs are all new too according to the previous owners. It also has some HUGE ballasts, I didnt get a picture of them but they are huge and gave no markings on them. There are also 2 controllers that say "Icecap" on them, do they control the vho's or the halides?

Some of the other stuff that was in the package: 2 mag 9.5's, a couple cheap powerheads, a couple rio pumps, bigger ones that he said wouldnt spin but I bet its just impellers. lol I also got like a half dozen power strips and what I think is a dosing pump. I'll put pictures up in a separate post so you guys maybe can help me out with what the heck I bought. lol

And finally I got TWO canopies. One holds all the existing lighting and the other is brand new, but the shorter canopy size, the guy apparently bought the setup new and had the custom canopy made to fit those big azz lights. lol

I paid $500 for it all, I didnt even have the heart to try to get a few bucks off as the tank setup is actually fine furniture and the rock was pretty spectacular. I might sell the small short canopy and the lighting so the net price of this could go way down. :) Would this be considered one of those "good" craigslist deals? hehehe

Those of you who know me know I LOVE posting pictures so here goes:

Thanks everyone and anyone who is following. It's been a while since I had a real build so this should be fun.

Found a couple more goodies in a bucket, a pinpoint ph monitor and some jeger(sp) heaters.
I have another question for you guys, he was running this dual overflow off a single mag 9.5....I happen to have a mag18, would that be better or to much flow?

Awesome grab! Sounds like the sharp things on the rock are barnacles 2nd pic is a dosing pump 3rd pic is a battery powered bubbler The ballast are for the VHO 6ft tubes. I see a nice timer for the lights too The skimmer im not sure on how tall is it? Overflow what size are the drain tubes?

I was just looking at the overflow holes a little while ago and it looks like the pvc is 1/2 inch out and 3/4 inch for the in. Thats kinda small isnt it? My 90 is 3/4 and 1 inch......

I need to get new bulkheads too as we had to cut off two of the connections. lol

If those bulbs are 1" diameter then they're t8 if they're 1.5" then t12. T5 is 5/8" t8 are 8/8 etc.. I would've thought the 180 would have 1.5" or at least 1" for overflows I wonder if you could bush up to 1.5 if so use the mag18. Ive read 1" drains can withstand up to 1200 gph each with just gravity. Oh and by the way, you got the deal of the century!

I think I solved the size of the plumbing, lol, the guy used reducers on the return lines so they are 1/2 inch but the original opening is 3/4. I think the same of the input plumbing. Not sure why someone would reduce the output seems like a waste to me. lol I willhopefully be getting new bulkheads this week and will run them as they are with no reducers. This also leads to which return pump to use? The mag 9.5 that was in it or the brand new mag 18 I have? Its pretty much double the output.

Got the sump and the stand today and cleaned up the sump. The guy used what looks like a 40B and made his own baffles, theres even an extra baffle I think. Here are the pictures

Those overflow drains are small it will only drain around 1200 GPH combined To safely drain 1800 GPH you'll need a 1 inch id pipe on each drain
Using the following input parameters

Gallons per Hour = 1800
Drain and Overflow sizes are calculated as

Recommended minimum drain pipe diameter = 1.75 inches
Recommended minimum linear overflow size = 27 inches

I think the inputs hole is 1 inch. Does that still put me at 1200gph max? i have been trying to figure out where an extra mag 9 came from, and I think the guy was running dual pumps, one for each return. lol I didnt take apart that part of the setup so no way to know for sure.

I would think so,:( with the OD of the pipe being 1 in. that puts the ID at about 3/4 I would set things up for the mag 9 Maybe the second was a spare, Or one of them could be bad?

You could always set everything up and try the 18 If it pumps the return area dry then you'll know it's to much for the overflows

There's a group buy in R2R for those dc pumps I just joined the gb maybe you can try one of those I'm getting the 9000. They are doing the wp's also just a heads up.

This site has a chart that tells you flow capacity of PVC pipes. According to this 1" sch 40 PVC will drain up to 960 gph with gravity. I really wouldn't worry about the 18 being too much bc you will have at least 300 gph of head loss, more with any elbows, unions, or ball valves. One other thing you need to account for is overflow box linear coverage as grizz previously posted. Also if the 18 is too much I would still use it just add a t onto the return line w a ball valve going back to the dump in area. I hate low flow I have a 75 with a 7 on it and wish I did at least a 9.5 maybe even a 12.

flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

my 125 has 2-1" drains on it. because my tank isn't 100% level, the right side drain is running on full syphon and the left drain picks up any slack. although the single 1" cant handle my mag18, its pretty close. id def run the mag18 and t it off like previously mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom