Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #171
RJT
Aquarium Advice Freak

Which anthias is it?

Old 08-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #172
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It was a squareback, male. I've had them before but they always were eating up til this one. :-(

I still havent found him in the rocks yet, he;s gotta be in there. he was pretty big.

Just sitting here and messing with the biocube. Pulled some algae out and removed the rocks that had it and put them in my "blackout" tank til it goes a away. lol Changed out some filter pads and gonna go kill some aipastias in a few minutes. I am getting convinced to buy all new rock for this large build, not sure how much of my live rock is salvageable. The aipastia is in every single tank really bad except for the 90g. There was one like 2 years ago but it never came back, I think one of the fish prob ate it. lol

So that would mean I'd have like 300lbs of live rock that I would be stuck with....

Any thoughts guys?

Old 08-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Here's how you "reboot" your rock; no real cooking required, but a clothespin for your nose is helpful.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f1...ock-66551.html
Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Awesome read! I bookbarked it so i can go through all the posts. Does that really work, he mentioned he got rid of algae but aipastia? They can survive in some harsh conditions. LOL

How long do you think I would cook them for it to work?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Unless aptasia is photosynthetic i wouldnt count on that method killing it off. You ever think of possibly going a bit overboarf with a cuc?? I believe reefcleaners sells cuc that they guarantee Will eat aptasia. Id just get a whole bunch of them and give them a few months to clear out the tank
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #176
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They only carry the peppermints i believe and I have tried that. :-( Put in half a dozen in the biocube and within a week or so they all had disappeared. And no munching on the aipastia before they went mia. lol

There are berghia nudibranchs but they are very expensive. I put another copperband in the 125g so I'm hoping he will handle that tank.

I just want a guarantee that i won't be moving aipastia over to the new tank i guess. They are the only challenge I havent' beaten yet.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #177
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Aptaisia isn't photosynthetic and it can survive sewer water. Leaving the rock outside for a few weeks in the sun, then a thorough scrubbing will probably do it, otherwise bleach and a long soak to remove the bleach, then reseed the rock either way. Boiling it in a pot works, but can be dangerous if any zoas are attached.

Just bought some 18 gauge 3.5" long spinal needles (EBay). They work great for stabbing aptaisia and dosing it with lemon juice.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #178
RJT
Aquarium Advice Freak

^+1
That's what I did years ago when I got them. Dry, scrub, bleach and rinse with rodi.

I got one head recently from a frag, Zap tasia works perfectly. It was overkill since I used an entire syringe of it for a 1/2inch head.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #179
RJT
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm surprised the squareback isn't eating. I remember you had a large one before. Maybe putting the food in front of a powerhead to have the food moving fast. A lot of anthias like to eat fast moving food.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry about the Anthias, Carey.

I am really happy about the Copperband though! Congratulations!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com