Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just woke up from a nap, had a busy morning!

The fish arrived at exactly 10 this morning. They were packed very well and secure and had lots of water in each bag. All fish arrived alive and look good. The filefish look kinda odd, they didnt do much swimming or anything at all for that matter while I acclimated them. Took almost an hour and a half to get them all set and put into tank.
The chromis are schooling, it looks awesome, but they are tiny so we will see how it goes once they get bigger. The copperband is hunting already for food, but since I have no pods I will have to go get some live brine tomorrow hopefully and maybe i can get him eating.
The rabbit fish is out and about, looks good and went in with the net with no issues.
The midas blenny went in and found the magfloat ASAP and has been perched on it for hours. His colors werent very good when I put him in but he seems to have ll his yellow back now.
AND the filefish. I can locate one right now, not sure where the other got to lol. Couldnt have gotten far, probably just getting used to the tank.
All in all I am very satisfied with liveaquaria, from ordering to delivery they have been great.
I also just made an order from reefcleaners.org for some snails and hermits, they will be delivered friday. :)
I'm off to see if I can get some pictures of my new little guys, I justput the lights back on and they seem ok with it so maybe I can catch a shot or two of some of them.
:)

Got some decent shots, here they are. I found the filefish together in the corner all snuggled up with one another, it was so cute! They moved apart when I took the photo.

Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing with us!

Thanks for reading guys, I love sharing everything fish with other fish minded peoples. lol

I fed the tank twice today, lightly of course, with only the chromis and one filefish eating. I also threw in some flake, again chromis were ALL over it, the midas tried some but kept spitting it out. I am going to take a roadtrip tomorrow and pick up some live brine, that should start some of them eating I'd hope.
Chromis are racing back and forth the full length of the tank in a school, I really wanna get a bunch more, it looks so impressive. The copperband and rabbit are like best buddies, they havent left each others side since they went in. The copperband is a bit on the fat side, which gives me hope that he will start eating soon.
I'll work on a video soon, still exhausted from the all night fish-thon and only got a 2 hour nap in this afternoon.
Thank you all for the really nice comments!

Thanks for reading guys, I love sharing everything fish with other fish minded peoples. lol I fed the tank twice today, lightly of course, with only the chromis and one filefish eating. I also threw in some flake, again chromis were ALL over it, the midas tried some but kept spitting it out. I am going to take a roadtrip tomorrow and pick up some live brine, that should start some of them eating I'd hope. Chromis are racing back and forth the full length of the tank in a school, I really wanna get a bunch more, it looks so impressive. The copperband and rabbit are like best buddies, they havent left each others side since they went in. The copperband is a bit on the fat side, which gives me hope that he will start eating soon. I'll work on a video soon, still exhausted from the all night fish-thon and only got a 2 hour nap in this afternoon. Thank you all for the really nice comments!
Chromis sure are beautiful, especially in a school. I love it when fish become buddies, it certainly makes for some interesting viewing!

I am sure you are very tired! I have never stayed up all night before, :lol:.

Carey, is going to be a FOWLR? Went to LA and they state the filefish nips at softys and sps' s? Love that fish by the way and want one for my new build.

Yeah, I saw that they Can nip but I'm hoping they dont. I tend to keep a well fed tank as I overfeed usually so that might help.

Wanted to take a video today but the power went off before noon and just got turned back on so all the tanks have been dark for like 6 hours, not much to see here lol

Yep, they went straight in. I purposely purchased so many fish at once to save on shipping AND to allow a few weeks to see if they get sick. I know if they do i wont be treating in the DT of course, but it I am pretty certain that they will be fine as far as illness, they came from liveaquaria and their divers den which typically holds fish for a quarantine period anyway.
The other fish I am adding have been in my home system for minimum 6 months, most over a year so any illness would have presented itself by now.
I have a unique situation with my tanks so it should work out.
The only thought I am having is whether to qt the additional tang I get and add him in with the others in a few weeks or what. I can qt him when I get him and then wait it out and see if he is sick, if not I can move him and the other three all at once. BUT I am not sure how long I can have the 125g up and running with the 180g going. Tangs and stress do not work out well so I need to add the 3 I have and the new guy all at once to try to cut down on stress and aggression.
I have not qt'd any fish since my tangs and the anthias. I know tangs can be ich magnets and the anthias' sometimes have parasites so I kept them purposely qt'd for several weeks. Before that I did not and lost several fish all due to a sick tang coming into the system. But all the small fish I have gotten since the tangs have gone into the tanks directly. I have been lucky. Very lucky in fact that I have only had one tank wipeout since I didnt qt. My best advice is to qt if you can. Especially if you have a new tank and buy your fish locally. I have never had a sick fish from an online retailer, every sick fish I have had that died came from any number of lfs's. Harsh, but true. Not sure if everyone has had the same luck but thats been true for me for a couple years now.

Depending on your situation, I'd try running the 125g as long as possible and get your new tang as soon as you can and QT it. Everything seems to be going great so far and it would suck if that one tang causes a catastrophe.

Yeah, that would mess things up pretty badly. I can also order one from the divers den on liveaquaria, they quarantine and check all those fish out pretty well. But the shipping would kill me with one fish. lol But it might be worth the extra cost. I have only one shop that I trust completely but he doesnt always carry tangs. he is a very ritzy aquacultured boutique really but he has the best rep and I totally believe him when he tells me things. Thats the shop that held a copperband and trained it to eat from hand for several months before he would sell it, luckily I wanted one at the time and he was the bestest fish ever. lol
I'm also to the point where I have to pick a tang. Or two smaller ones. I'd prefer one bigger one I think though. I was thinking a whitecheeked or a blonde naso. I dont wanna mess with the powder blue or brown, too many bad stories about those two.
So, what do you guys think? Which of them or any other suggestions? Cant be a purple though, just cannot rationalize that much for a fish at this point in the game. So any other suggestions? They would have to get along with the three I have now though.
Let me know what you all think.

Good to know you've got a quality shop near you. Unfortunately, as much as I wish I has one I can trust fully I still wouldn't take the chance of not QTing. Then again, I still have a lot of shopping around to do :p

As far as the tang goes, I really do love naso tangs and I think a blonde naso would be a beautiful addition.

Blonde Naso for the win!! without a doubt. although I must admit that a purple tang really is worth the money

Back
Top Bottom