Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #301
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Awesome guys, thaqnks for all the information. i will use the new mag18 then.

Do you know how much the wp's are with the group buy? And the DC is a controllable pump right? lol

I just drained the tank after soaking it in vinegar overnight but there is still ALOT of scraping to be done. lol All the poweheads and skimmer are clean now though at least, the two heaters look brand new now, its amazing. The sump just needs a rinse and then thats ready too.

Thinking of moving the stand into position maybe tonight or tomorrow, living room is gonna be uber crowded until I get the 125g down. Poor big screen tv is gonna be wedged in between the two tanks. I elevated all the cords and strips in case of any accidental water spillage, hope thats enough.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #302
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just be careful, frankly, I have come closer to killing myself playing which electricity and saltwater than flying, diving or anything else I do.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #303
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL, yeah I will be. After I blew out my reefkeeper with water I vowed to be ultra careful.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #304
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The 25 are 55$ and yes in the dc pump.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Awesome guys, thaqnks for all the information. i will use the new mag18 then.

Do you know how much the wp's are with the group buy? And the DC is a controllable pump right? lol

I just drained the tank after soaking it in vinegar overnight but there is still ALOT of scraping to be done. lol All the poweheads and skimmer are clean now though at least, the two heaters look brand new now, its amazing. The sump just needs a rinse and then thats ready too.

Thinking of moving the stand into position maybe tonight or tomorrow, living room is gonna be uber crowded until I get the 125g down. Poor big screen tv is gonna be wedged in between the two tanks. I elevated all the cords and strips in case of any accidental water spillage, hope thats enough.
I would think it would, unless water spilled directly onto the outlet or onto a plug.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #306
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
I would think it would, unless water spilled directly onto the outlet or onto a plug.
Saltwater unlike fresh water is pretty conductive. A splash of fresh water is unlikely to short a circuit, but SW takes just a drop. I would wrap some garbage bags around any power strips and outlets if you think it's gonna get crazy. That flat screen won't like saltwater either...
Old 10-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post

Saltwater unlike fresh water is pretty conductive. A splash of fresh water is unlikely to short a circuit, but SW takes just a drop. I would wrap some garbage bags around any power strips and outlets if you think it's gonna get crazy. That flat screen won't like saltwater either...
Oh my mistake, didnt know that
Old 10-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #308
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Oh my mistake, didnt know that
No problem, I learned this the hard way. I set a outlet on fire once because of a saltwater accident.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #309
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The new tank is going to the right of the TV, against the adjoining wall and the 125g is already on the left about a foot away. Havent had any issues with the 125g and the electronics but with a new install there is bound to be a splash here and there. I just may use that idea of putting a garbage bag over the strips, very nice idea btw!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #310
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So I posted a thread on my local reef clubs site asking for help moving the tank into the living room from the garage. It's cleaned up pretty well so I am ready to actually get going with this finally. lol

So, the hope is to get it moved this weekend, the stand we can just move ourselves since its not too heavy. The sump is pretty clean too. I put the skimmer for now into my 125g and it is a beast! I wish i had that skimmer the whole time,it is pulling out all sorts of gunk, it should do a great job on the 180g.

I'm still kinda torn on the lighting though. The canopy already has 3 250 watt halides and 2 vho actinics (they are almost 6 feet long!). Now, if I could sell this setup off I would consider buying 3 Tao Led panels but should I? I figure I can get the panels for about $400 give or take but I know the lights in the canopy arent worth that. Does anyone have any ballpark idea on how much lights like that would be used? I would love to save some money on the electric bill with the LEDs' but should I keep what I have? I plan on keeping mostly softies and LPS with maybe some easy hard corals like monti's. I ALSO have the 12 bulb T5 fixture over my 125g that i could use, BUT I need new bulbs and thats like $200 so thats not a very cost effective option.

What do you guys think? Please post your thoughts, I need some help deciding.

Thanks guys!

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com