Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #361
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I forgot you guys have to mix your own water and salt!! Here in San Diego we have scripps water which is filtered ocean water for aquarium use! I haven't mixed my own water in a long time haha! Can't wait to see the tank!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #362
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahhh, this is so exciting! Congrats on the tank filling!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #363
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks guys. Theres about 6-8 inches of water so far, so a long way tog o still. lol As soon as it gets halfway though i am adding the rock, so the water level will really jump.
I still havent done those water tests on the rock containers, lol, took a little nap but i guess i will do that now.
Still havent figured out where to put the power strips, I am leaning towards the inside right wall, its about 3 feet away from the sump. I considered putting a plastic shoebox over it like was mentioned here but I would need 2 of the boxes and they just wont fit really. This build i am looking for simplicity and cleanness, I dont want a squid of wires or a messy pile of crap LOL.
On a bright note i have been window shopping for leds. So far the cheapest dimmable ones are like $130 each with free shipping so that would be $390 total which is a steal. I've also been pricing the ones with timers and the cheapest I have found are about $200 each. While I would love to have them I dont know if I will be able to swing it. So far I have about $50 saved in my paypal account towards them. I guess it will kinda depend on how well i sell stuff. LOL I got married one month ago today and have an entire room full of wedding decorations, linens and so much other stuff that I have been listing online and selling. If a few of the high price things sell then i can do the timer led's, if not I will be stuck with the regular dimmable panels.
I also checked out my reefkeeper controller's warranty and it expires around Christmas, so I sent them an email about the 3 bad power strips and am waiting on a response from them. Keeping my fingers crossed but I dont think it will work out, but its worth a try.
Hmmm Hmmmm..... trying to think of the thousands of things I have planned or am doing, so much to do! I love it! The best part of a build right next to stocking is this part. hehehe
Does anyone use power strips that have individual controllers and on/off switches for each socket? I use one on my biocube and it rocks!
I have this one

Amazon.com: Mr. Dj PSC200 8 Channel Power Strip with Lighted Toggles ON/OFF Power Panel: Musical Instruments

ANy other options that you guys know about?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #364
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Idk if it would hold for months at a time but why not use epoxy or something to hold the powerheads in place?
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #365
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks for the input, but the theme of this tank is clean and neat. lol

Do you know if the larger koralias, the magnums have stronger magnets?

The previous owner had little dinky rio pumps held by a bracket into the water, they are nasty gross and really really weak, not even worth it all to use. I cant use those brackets either cause they dont fit, tried that thought already. lol
Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #366
Aquarium Advice Activist

Home Depot sell super magnets on the hardware
Old 10-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #367
Aquarium Advice Activist

Try this they may be strong enuf to hold it up
Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #368
Aquarium Advice Addict

is that tank to the left of your 180 your 125 reef?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #369
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yep, thats the 125g to the left.

tested the water in the garbage cans with all the live rock and it definitely is doing something....
ammonia: maybe .25-.50
nitrite: 0
nitrates: about 40+
phosphates: .80

This water was fresh saltwater with 0's across the board so in a week I;ve gotten these results. The tank is almost half full so I want to get that rock in asap so it can cycle with the new sand.
here's my test results:

Old 10-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #370
Aquarium Advice Addict

can't wait to see all of this come together i am following from this point on what kind of sand are you planning on using, fine grade?

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com