Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, 36wX12 is what i have. I've grown some SPS in there, mostly higher up though. Just got a phone call, a guy is coming by to buy the 125g with light and all!!! Very excited! This means I can get the custom stand for the 60g a few months before I thought I could. I sold the guy the whole setup, including the light fixture, so now I am committed to the leds. I am so nervous too, my backup lighting option is going bye bye. I am so sad to see the 125g go, it was an awesome tank.

Congrats on getting a purchaser! While it is always sad to let go, there is still much adventure left with the 180g!

I know Red lol. Its just hard, I bet I cry when he wheels it out. I had tanks before the 125g but they were alot smaller and while the corals did well before this tank the 125g still was the best tank I have had. The corals came alive in there, it was my first tangs home too. LOL I remember putting pootie in there when he was just so small and well, now he is a huge monster. On the subject of tangs, it seems twitchy the yellow, isnt really doing that well in the new tank. :-(
Not sure if its the lights being so low or what, but he stays hidden most of the day and barely comes out anymore. I am also not 100% sure he is eating. I'm starting to get worried. he wont eat the algae sheets, that much I know. Hoping its just a phase with him while he adjusts. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

I know Red lol. Its just hard, I bet I cry when he wheels it out. I had tanks before the 125g but they were alot smaller and while the corals did well before this tank the 125g still was the best tank I have had. The corals came alive in there, it was my first tangs home too. LOL I remember putting pootie in there when he was just so small and well, now he is a huge monster. On the subject of tangs, it seems twitchy the yellow, isnt really doing that well in the new tank. :-( Not sure if its the lights being so low or what, but he stays hidden most of the day and barely comes out anymore. I am also not 100% sure he is eating. I'm starting to get worried. he wont eat the algae sheets, that much I know. Hoping its just a phase with him while he adjusts. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

Yes, hopefully he is just getting used to the light! Maybe Pootie is becoming the king of the tank and Twitchy is staying out of his way. :)

You have had these Tangs for a while now, right? They must be happy!

I remember Pootie came in August 2011, but I don't really remember the purchase of Twitchy too well (I think it was because it was before I became a member). I like to think I have a very good memory, lol.

I had twitchy a month or so before the blue tang and the tomini went in. :) Nice call Red, I dont believe you remember so well. lol

Yep, I'mhoping you guys are right about the yellow, I've seen pootie chase him once or twice so maybe thats it, the new king may be pootie. LOL Though out of the 3 tangs I think the tomini is the most aggressive and he is the most comfortable in the new tank it looks like. Always swimming around, while pootie has been having rouble navigating the new rockwork, I think he doesnt realize how big he is and is always confused when he cant get through a small opening. hehehe....

Selling the 125g also means I can pick up that blonde naso and the copperband. This is gonna be the last copperband I try so I hope he makes it. This is assuming the lfs still has them of course, with my luck he sold em both.

Yep, 36wX12 is what i have. I've grown some SPS in there, mostly higher up though.
Just got a phone call, a guy is coming by to buy the 125g with light and all!!! Very excited! This means I can get the custom stand for the 60g a few months before I thought I could. I sold the guy the whole setup, including the light fixture, so now I am committed to the leds. I am so nervous too, my backup lighting option is going bye bye. I am so sad to see the 125g go, it was an awesome tank.
You are going to be fine. Patience.
My point about the T5 fixture was that there is a pretty large difference between the Tao panels and six 39 watt lamps IMO.

Yeah, I would have to agree X. I guess I just had the perfect combination of corals and placed spot on that the light was perfect. lol But I am 100% on board for the leds now, I can wait it out. I just hope I dont lose the toadstool, the thing is huge and I really really enjoy it. I just turned on the lights and it had polyps extended halfway from just the ambient room light. So, its still alive and trying. lol

With all that's going on in that tank Have you tested for copper? There's been to much die off for a simple upgrade.

I had twitchy a month or so before the blue tang and the tomini went in. :) Nice call Red, I dont believe you remember so well. lol Yep, I'mhoping you guys are right about the yellow, I've seen pootie chase him once or twice so maybe thats it, the new king may be pootie. LOL Though out of the 3 tangs I think the tomini is the most aggressive and he is the most comfortable in the new tank it looks like. Always swimming around, while pootie has been having rouble navigating the new rockwork, I think he doesnt realize how big he is and is always confused when he cant get through a small opening. hehehe.... Selling the 125g also means I can pick up that blonde naso and the copperband. This is gonna be the last copperband I try so I hope he makes it. This is assuming the lfs still has them of course, with my luck he sold em both.

Oh, you still have the Tomini? For some reason I thought you lost him with the flatworm medication. That is fantastic, I always liked him! That is funny how he is aggressive now, I remember he used to be such a shy little fish!

Nope havent tested for copper yet, but Ifigured it was safe since the inverts are all fine and some of the corals are doing ok...the one batchof cinnamon palys is ok, my pavona is looking good and the torch wasnt doing too badly in there. Ithink I have a copper test kit somewhere in my "fish closet", I will try to dig it out and test, just for ha ha's and to be 100% sure.

The toadstool closed up within an hour of the lights going on but is trying to open a bit now, so I figure its kinda accliamting. lol

Yeah Red, the tomini was a shy little thing way back when, but he is the first fish on any new additions, he has quite the attitude these days. lol

Well, its a done deal. guy came this afternoon to pick up the 125g! Took a few hours to get it all broken down and moved and three trucks to transport everything. lol

Now fingers are crossed that the leds pan out cause I have no backup now. :)

Well, its a done deal. guy came this afternoon to pick up the 125g! Took a few hours to get it all broken down and moved and three trucks to transport everything. lol Now fingers are crossed that the leds pan out cause I have no backup now. :)

It is going to be weird looking at that wall without the tank! That is how it was with me with mine! :)

I miss the tank already. lol There is now a large loveseat in its space. It has stuff in the spot but just doesnt feel the same, like a huge empty place on that side of the room.
Next video I do you will see. ;-)

Ok, so today was a big fish stuff day!!!

First off, I ordered and paid for the new custom stand for the 60g rimless. It's going to be 36 inches tall with an open back so I can get the sump in and out, the front door will allow me to get the sump in and out as well. :) It will have a lip going around the top so that the bottom rim of the tank isnt seen, should look pretty good I think.

And yes, I did buy some fish. woot! I picked up the red sea blonde naso tang and the copperband. I watched them both eat twice today over a bout 2.5 hours so I am pretty confident they will do ok. The owner said to call him in 2-3 days to let him know if they continue to eat, if not i can bring the non eater back. he also said he would give me a reasonable guarantee period so that I can be sure I didnt waste my money. he has kept them both in a copper system for 4 and 5 weeks respectively so they should be clear of any disease. I know some may disagree with my buying another copperband since they are so hard to keep, but I promise, this is the last one I will try no matter what the outcome is.

Both are acclimating in the bucket that the store lent me for transport so I should have some photos at some point tonight if they come out after being introduced lol.

Wish me luck guys! :)

Great! We all love new fish and pictures/videos!

He sounds like a much better owner of a store than the other one!

Back
Top Bottom