Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never had one that caused any major issues, but I suppose there's some who have. I've also had a yellow mimic tang that decided it liked to eat $1500.00 chalices.....ya never know.

You paid $1500.00 for a chalice? What type? Any pics?

If keeping a pygmy angel from eating coral is as simple as keeping it fed I think i may have that covered. lol SInce the mandarin is going in this tank I will be feeding multiple times daily. :) How about a lemonpeel? I LOVE the bright yellow and blue eye thing, I had one for a few days a few years ago but she didnt make it. One of the few fish that came from liveaquaria that died before its time.
I was also thinking of a firefish, or should I maybe put the firefish into the 180g as it has lids? The firefish that I did have never jumped or made any indication that they wanted to jump. lol
I'm trying to get excited again at the prospect of stocking, to be honest I havent had much fish "desire" lately which I chalk up to losing so many fish in such a short time frame, more so because I really really wanted them to make it. Since stocking is one of the best parts of keeping a tank I figure I'll concentrate on that for now and see if it doesnt get me jazzed up. :)
I'm really thinking the angel will be a good choice. Great suggestions guys, thanks. Now, what else to add? The fish I have for the 60g will be mainly small, except for the eventual growing of the perc clowns so I know I have a ton of room to go. Any ideas on any out of the ordinary fish? I love to have different fish that you dont see in tanks everyday. lol

Ive had my flame for 5 months now and hes never even taken a look at any corals. I used to have a lemon peel but he ate half my lps's.

I like the stop light red cardinals, very different, great options red! I want some color in the tank so that might fit the bill. :)

ANyone else have an opinion or experience with the lemonpeels?

I like the stop light red cardinals, very different, great options red! I want some color in the tank so that might fit the bill. :)

Ive never seen one in a reef tank.

The flasher or longfin wrasses would be colorful swimmers. I'm a big fan of fire fish as well. I was about to get a lemon peel but my lfs said they eat, not nip, corals so I decided against it. I can't wait to see the rimless project by the way, very clean and sleek look.

Yep, Cardinals are pretty awesome! In 2011, I had a Lemonpeel. He was a beautiful fish, and I had him for a few weeks. From what I can remember, feeding was a bit stressful for me, but I think he began to come around. He probably passed due to inadequate water quality, as I was just getting back in the hobby back then. :)

We've got a lemon peel in our display tank at the fish store I work at. It's loaded with mainly soft coral but everything seems intact and he's been a model citizen. I just make to sure to feed daily and supplement with nori.

You paid $1500.00 for a chalice? What type? Any pics?
Nooooo! I would never pay a lot of money for corals. That was the reason I got into the retail business, because The prices folks drove certain corals up to was absurd. It was a "Tyree watermelon chalice" , and I came to that price by the size of it, and what tiny frags of it were selling for at the time.

Nooooo! I would never pay a lot of money for corals. That was the reason I got into the retail business, because The prices folks drove certain corals up to was absurd. It was a "Tyree watermelon chalice" , and I came to that price by the size of it, and what tiny frags of it were selling for at the time.

Oh lol that sould have been devistating to loose a $1500 chalice!

Update:
Sold the biocube tonight. Its been on craigslist for a few weeks and some guy just called me today and just left with it all. Got my asking price, no haggling, but I really miss it already.
Had to setup an emergency tank for the fish and corals since it was so last minute. It looks like either the linear blenny was in a rock that went with the tank or jumped somewhere onto the floor that I cant find.
So the fish and coral will stay in the 25g til the stand for the 60g is done, hopefully this weekend. For fish we are at: 2 percula clowns, two clown gobies and the mandarin.
Looks like there will be lots of stocking to do!

LOL you people are gonna just die if this goes through....

"carey's first 40b Coral Tank"

Hows that sound? I should now tomorrow some time for sure.

Just got back from picking up a brand new 40b and stand! God I love a new tank! LOL

ANyway, its in the garage until I figure out where to put it, probably where the biocube was at. I am thinking I am going to make it the coral tank for all my frags and wanna be corals. :) I will keep only leathers and softies in the 180g and concentrate on fish for that tank. I had a sps stylophora in the 180g I just bought and within hours the filefish had eaten half of it so no hard corals in there either. :-(

I think I will go back to my original idea of having micro fish in the 60g and I am seriously thinking of making a rockscape in there using rods and making it really really awesome.

The 40b, well I was up all night thinking of stuff to do with it. lol I will make a build thread for it in a little bit since I have questions about it. :) Nothing new there lol

Back
Top Bottom