Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #851
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I wouldn't keep 5 tangs in a 180.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #852
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I kinda know......:-(

But I can do the four right?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #853
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think adding the smaller would be okay, but the Desjardini might be pushing it. They do get big. Hopefully the new addition won't stir things up with the pecking order.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #854
Aquarium Advice Addict

I might be time to build that under sea bio-dome

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #855
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Its crazy how fast the tank filled up. lol I kinda didnt expect to have any overstocking issues ever but I guess I may have hit that mark, or am close.

I still planned on adding a couple lyretail anthias's and a couple more green chromis. hehe

I was thinking the smaller bristletooth but I have a tomini already which is very similar to the one I could get. I was thinking the sailfin since when he is opened up he is quite different from the rest, but I don't know. LOL

The tank is table and I have zero algae so I thought it might work. And this is with doing 40-50% water changes once a month. If I upped the frequency would that help or is it just too small for the two additional tangs? This is all depending on if the tangs will become available, it's still in the thinking stages on my friends part so it may never happen but I would hate for her to sell them or give them away to someone who may have an even smaller tank or less stable one.
I appreciate all your opinions and comments though.

There is one other option but I doubt it will be good, and that is to add the bristletooth to my 90g fowlr but there is already a tang in there. Not a good option is it?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #856
Aquarium Advice Addict

short term I think it would be ok. The same goes for the 180, but eventually, you are going to be like a hamster on a wheel trying to keep the water quality right, and/or you might see some aggression issues or possibly stress from the overcrowding.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #857
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm yeah, kinda what I thought X. I appreciate your input, its really on the ball with no punches pulled. lol
So in a nutshell I probably shouldnt do it I guess. The water parameters i can keep a handle on thers no doubt about that but the possibility of aggression is an angle I havent really thought about. My tangs are quite nasty already so it would be likely to happen.

if I could add one of the tangs which would you chose X?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #858
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ugh! I dunno. I don't want to say the wrong thing and screw you up. I like the red sea sailfin's looks better than the bristletooth variety, but that's just my personal preference. Which bristletooth are we talking about?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #859
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I were going to put one in based on appearance, the Desjardini wins. They are magnificent. They do get big, especially when they flare their fins out. I would also guess that the waste would eventually be twice what a fully grown bristletooth would put out.

This was mine that just died...
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1144901681.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	219786
Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #860
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow what a gorgeous fish todd! Too bad she passed.... :-(

i actually forget which bristletooth it is, I was there too when she bought him. lol
I remember it being very light colored with no markings or anything special like the blue eyes my one in the 90g has, or like the tomini with its flame fins.

I can't honestly with any certainty say i am going to upgrade any further at this point as far as tank size. I mean, of course I would love to, but I can't say I will actually get it done in time for these two tangs to need it.
I hopefully will concentrate on the 60g rimless rebuild and the 40b build.

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com