Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I just placed a liveaquaria order!!! I ordered the following:
5 blue green chromis
2 (mated pair) of filefish
1 copperband
1 midas blenny
1 blue spotted rabbitfish

Should be delivered tuesday! Very excited, these will be the first fish to go in this 180g.
The new led's are set for delivery most likely wednesday. :)

So anyone have any comments or opinions? I had to get the mated filefish from the diver den as they were out of stock in the regular section and the rabbitfish was also in that section. I have tried a midas blenny twice already but they both jumped so hopefully I will do better with this one. I wanted blue reef chromis but they were like $18 each so the cheaper chromis will have to do! LOL

Thanks for following for those that are! Lots of pictures to come next week!

What kind of filefish? IMO, those blue/green chromis are a waste of money...you always seem to end up with just one....
I have an orange spot rabbit right now, and I think he's the sharpest fish in the tank.

I got the bristletail filefishes. and I know about the chromis, lol but Ihavent had the cheap ones yet so I figured I;d give them a try for $5 each. lol

Glad to hear the rabbit fish is a good choice, I have not had one as of yet but I was so close to the $225 free shipping so I added him on. Plus the divers den tends tohave fish you dont see everyday at the lfs.

Hope I made some good choices.

Thanks Mr. X for the lighting answers you proivded, I am 100% happy with what I ordered now. :)

Hey X, since I have your attention, whats your experience with filefish and aipastias? I know the copperband can be a monster with them, as long as I can get him to start eating. lol I am not moving any rock with aipastia into this tank but just in case one slips by me. lol

I was thinking of maybe, just maybe putting some of the infected rock in another tank and putting the filefish in there to see if maybe I can save some of it.

When I say its infested, I mean it just that, its not one or two but hundreds maybe thousands of them between the three tanks. Some are almost as big as my hand, I let it go really badly and they are thriving.

I have never seen my aptasia eating filefish eat aptasia. I have seen him take a nickel sized chunk out of one of my lps corals, but that's about it.
I have had much better luck with peppermint shrimp. A half dozen and don't feed them.

haha, i bought ten a few weeks ago and they did eat a few but I only have 2 left now. :-(
no idea where the rest went, they didnt jump and I never found any dead really, I did fish one out but the other 7? no idea what became of them. they dont eat each other do they?

Just the regular crew, some hermits, some snails and a huge king crab. lol I've leanred to stock my inverts based on my likes rather than for a purpose. I've never had any sever algae issues so never felt the need to get that many.

I know there are berghia nudi's , but there arent many options for purchase and they are super expensive. Are there any other options?

Not that I know of. You already have the filefish coming....let's see if you have better luck than I did with them. BTW, I love my filefish. I would not remove him if I had the chance, he's just as useless as tits on a bull for aptasia removal...

Just the regular crew, some hermits, some snails and a huge king crab. lol I've leanred to stock my inverts based on my likes rather than for a purpose. I've never had any sever algae issues so never felt the need to get that many.

I know there are berghia nudi's , but there arent many options for purchase and they are super expensive. Are there any other options?

Any pics of the tank ATM?

Great fish order. Hopefully all of them ship well

Thanks guys!

here are some pictures, not looking so great with two white bulbs but its getting there. Starting to see diatoms on the exposed rocks and a little on the sand. Gonna do a silicate and phosphate tests in a bit, just curious.

ANyways, here is where I am at:\

The poor toadstool is all flopped over but it is looking alot better since he was ripped from all the rocks in the other tank. He opens up and all just hasnt anchored to a new spot. I have him rubberbanded to a rock for now. The other leather is also looking alot better too. The only thing not happy is one of my duncan frags, hasnt opened since I put him in. The other duncan frag is doing just fine. ANd the torch just loves the lighting and flow, at least for now, I still have to add the wp40 in there and adjust the other powerheads.

Cool that you got a pair! We need pics when they arrive!

Glad to see your tank is moving along. We were neck and neck with our tanks and mine just took a vacation.

Did you see that $3000 tint wrought iron butterfly they had in divers den? Its gone, so apparently people but stuff like that.

Looks great! Cant wait to see it when fully stocked!!!

oH you guys will get pictures all right, lol, I am notorious for attaching way too many photos. I like to show how the fish are shipped and packed for those that havent gotten fish online before so they can judge for themselves how the quality is. And being as I ordered from liveaquaria it should all be packed and shipped beautifully as they have in the past. :)

Yeah, I saw the pair of filefish and thought whats better than one filefish? Well two would be the answer. lol I like how they are odd shaped and look a little weird so even if they dont eat aipastia they will be a cool set of fish to have. I always wonder how liveaquaria knows if a pair is mated or not, lol, I mean they dont know hwo they were captured so how could they tell?

Back
Top Bottom