Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #991
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So todays mission was to buy stuff for the tanks. LOL I wanted an ORA mandarin, none in stock. Wanted sexy shrimp, none in stock. wanted pom poms, none in stock. :-(

BUT I did get 6 new corals.

I got a favia and colt coral for the 125g, nice sized specimens.
I also got for the pico, zenia, a mushroom, kenya tree and a zooa rock.

Not bad for today, kinda wanted some fish but I guess I'll just wait. hehe

Old 06-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #992
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pics???

I'd return the kenya tree, once happy they drop arms like crazy and will very quickly take over your pico, or any tank haha. The xenia is fine but should be kept isolated to one rock because it will also grow quickly and can take over tanks.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #993
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I heard about the kenya tree but it's so very tiny now lol. I also know about the xenia, grows like a weed in the 55g. I paid $8 for each so it was a good investment I think

here's the favia and the colt i got today. I have them in the 125g already, didn't feel like moving it twice.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #994
Aquarium Advice Addict

seriously though, mini maxi and porcelain!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #995
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In the 125g? Won't they get lost in there? lol Maybe the crabs I saw weren't porcelain....they were itty bitty.

I just re tested the water and came up with 0 across the board again. Do you think I can start moving over the 55g? I hate the fish in there with no rock really, I feel bad...
Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #996
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
In the 125g? Won't they get lost in there? lol Maybe the crabs I saw weren't porcelain....they were itty bitty.

I just re tested the water and came up with 0 across the board again. Do you think I can start moving over the 55g? I hate the fish in there with no rock really, I feel bad...

I commented on my pico thread, they are usually similar in size to the emerald crabs I think, the one I just got is pretty tiny though. They would stay in the mini maxi anemone though and live there, therefore won't get lost . Clowns won't bother the crab either since they don't like the mini maxis.

I'd move two or three fish over, I think it's safe.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #997
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm 2 or 3 fish huh? I only have 5 in total LOL.

I think I will move over some later, maybe the clowns, they have been swimming in one place near the sand since I took all the rock out. They are gonna be so lost in this tank.

And on another note, the Tang has finally mellowed out and I can go right up to the tank usually and she just keeps swimming. And it's right about the 6 foot tank, this fish is constantly back and forth, she'd be bummed in a 4 foot tank i bet.

So excited! This tank is gonna start looking like a reef soon!

Gonna see if they still have the nems when I go back probably next week. The guy at the lfs said the min maxi's dont move around alot so maybe i can have my nem now. I think I have the light but it's a new tank...it's not recommended to put a nem in a new tank...or so I've been telling people! LOL
Old 06-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #998
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i think the two starfish mentioned are actually the same starfish. i also think that pet/fish stores don't even pay attention to reef safe/non-reef safe, they just look for good deals on colorful fish on stock lists. i don't believe a store would just not carry a species because it's not reef safe. i think that was a lie.
there is a popular store around here that actually had a crown of thorns starfish for sale at one time.
well, if you can imagine purchasing a tiny coral frag of an exotic coral....perhaps something from australia, and it grows like crazy until you have about a thousand dollar colony thriving in your system, and then you wake up one morning and it's completely gone (except for the skeleton of course), if you can try to think really really hard about how that would make you feel, you'll have some idea of what it's like to have a coral eater in the tank!
a similar thing happened to me with a watermelon chalice.

i too agree that you should get rid of the kenya tree immediately. it's a mistake that will end up haunting you. the favia is a lower light coral and if you find it losing some color, drop it down to the sand bed.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #999
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was waiting for you to chime in X, I was gonna send you a PM to ask about the starfish.
I can appreciate the gravity of the potential hazard, really, heck, I returned that sand perch lickety split.
As far as it being the same star fish, I will have to disagree. It seems very clear from research and other peoples experiences that it is in fact, two separate star fish.

The little kenya tree that cost $7? It's so nice and tiny now...how does it reproduce? By limbs falling off?

I'll for sure keep an eye on the favia, they had it higher up in their tank at the store so I wanted to replicate the light that it was used to, but if it shows any sign of bleaching down it will go.

Thanks very much X.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #1000
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Gonna see if they still have the nems when I go back probably next week. The guy at the lfs said the min maxi's dont move around alot so maybe i can have my nem now. I think I have the light but it's a new tank...it's not recommended to put a nem in a new tank...or so I've been telling people! LOL

Newish tank lol, everything put in it is pretty old (kinda). I just put my anemone in my new pico so I hope it does well They are an easy to keep and hardy anemone apparently so I think it would do fine.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com