Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mr. Micro: I appreciate the links! i was thinking of replacing the entire top plastic depending on price. The bar that is melted is still pretty straight and it seems to be holding pressure. i also have the other brace that is 24" down.

Do you guys think I can put a one brace top piece on instead of the two brace top? Not sure if it makes a difference. lol

Purevil: I will scope that fixture out like a hawk and see if I can't get some pictures for you too. I wouldn't ever recommend anything I wouldn't buy myself. And yep, its a 6ft one

Also going out to price a used filter. I may have to go wet/dry for now until I can get something else together. I just want all these tanks up, running or gone.

If I get a filter what is the flow I need for a single overflow box? I was looking and it looks like I need 800gph after you take the head into consideration. So would I go with like a 1000gph pump? I was thinking on keeping my skimmer for the immediate future to make this build go faster. Just need a new pump for it is all.

So what say you guys?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I saw your 29 on CL, lol. Thanks, I don't see an issue with wet/dry. I never had a nitrate issue using one, I know everyone has different experiences, but I never saw more than 5 out of my old tank. What you could do, is put some rock rubble underneath the bioballs where it would stay submerged.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was just going to ask what I would put in place of the bioballs. lol Would a filter sock work if I ditched the balls? Or is that not enough?

Yeah I listed the 29g for $350 hoping to get $300 out of it, or maybe sell it without the rock since I need that soon anyways.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

I kept the bio balls, never had an issue. I actually filled two pairs of dress socks with activated charcoal and put them on top of the bio balls, then I had rock rubble in the section below them. If I'm not mistaken, nitrate issues arise when there is a water flow issue with bioballs. As long as there is sufficient flow, you should have no issue. The rock is just further biological filtration, and the charcoal really polished my water nicely. A refuge would be the optimal choice, but I see no issue with the wet/dry set up.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I was just going to ask what I would put in place of the bioballs. lol Would a filter sock work if I ditched the balls? Or is that not enough?
Carey,

A filter sock is for mechanical filtration and Bio-Balls are for BIOlogical.. So technically you'll need both. I use Bio-balls... always have and never had an issue with nitrates...I like it better than using all rock or sponges...

Also, when going wet/dry.. you know flow rate is a matter of opinion... but yes, if you went 800gph on the overflow box.. A mag-drive 950 could work, at 5' head/lift it pumps 750gph, but at 6' that drops to 720gph. But with the bio-ball/rock/media sock restrictions... you should be spot on!

In regards to the cross brace... a one brace frame prolly wouldn't work right as the tank is 6' long the other half of the tank would have no support... You might be able to get the frame for free... both Oceanic and AllGlass have solid customer service... if not, i would venture to say it would be under a $100, prolly closer to $50 range....

Best Regards,
J
Old 05-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Heading out to pick up my lights! can't wait to see how they look!
If I find a decent wet/dry I think I may go the bio balls route for starters. Least til I understand everything better LOL

thanks guys!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck with the lights! Let me know how that halide fixture looks, if you can snap some pictures I would be very grateful.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Got my lights! Woohoo! All looks great.

I looked at the mh system he had, its 72" and is a hanging unit. Has 3 250w and I think it was four t5's. Looks to be in decent shape, the glass covers could use some cleaning. lol If I had the $500 I would have considered buying them. i couldnt get a picture though, it was up against a wall.

I still have to figure out the bulbs and switches, it looks like there are 2 blues and 4 whites on each side. I would prefer an even split. There might be a blue bulb in a white bulb spot so I gotta go check it all out. Just so excited!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yaaay for you Carey
Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for looking at them for me, I might consider them. Has he posted them on CL yet? The nova looks good on your tank.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com