Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so I've done my research. I think I'm ready. For now I'm gonna go with the eshopps dual overflow box 1000gph and a mag drive 12 @ 1200gph. I think this will be ok since that gph isn't including the head of say 4ft. I will buy an extra cheap pump though for those just in case moments.

My next big question is do I use 3/4" return tubing or go with 1"? The return nozzle on the mag12 is 3/4 but the intake on the overflows is 1".

Personally I am thinking on running everything with 1" to make everything easier down below. I am thinking on adding and inline heater and maybe a uv sterilizer. (with or without its benefits might give it a try). Also where would I put the ATO down there? in the refugium section or the return compartment?

I can buy a bunch of adapters, they are really cheap actually and do it that way. OR am I trying too hard and just stay with the same as the return pumps 3/4"?

Thanks. I feel I have come sooo far in just a few short days, and it's all due to you guys helping me out.

As a side note, anyone wanna snap a picture of their sump/refugium setup? Just so I know what I'm aiming for. :-D

It doesn't matter either way you go, but just to be safe you could go with the 1" tubing.. though I doubt it will pump any faster than it would with the 3/4" tubing since that's how big the return is.

(posting cuz i'm tired of reading and not being notified of updates, LOL)

LOL Thanks Scott. I'm aiming for getting this tank up and running by next weekend so theres alot to be done. And alot more questions as I go.

Just trying to get my final buy list together now so I can start ordering. I think I'm gonna set it up in my garage first and run all the plumbing while in there. I know I'm gonna have a problem balancing input and output. I also will be adding a valve on the return line to regulate it.

I found this online

Aquarium Filters: Continuous Siphon Overflow

If I used this and the power goes out will the siphon break? cause that would ROCK if it did since my power goes out several times a week for a minute or less. Anyone think it's worth the extra $$ ??

Thanks guys. I'm almost there......

i'd use 3/4", the way i see it is the higher yougo the more weight and the harder the pump works. so the smaller tubing would hold less water restricting less flow and increase the head output at higher levels then the larger tubing

Yep, I didn't post it but I decided on 3/4" earlier today. Just makes more sense. plus i won't be adding anything inline like a heater or UV, researched them out and I'm gonna pass.

can i list my final list of equipment and can you guys let me know if I got it right?

You and ME both LOL.

You never know how things will turn out with me. :-D

As long as this one doesn't leak and I dont' flood the house.

It would be the BIGGEST bum if that happened again. Hey Carey, can you get a black and white clownfish? LOL. They are SO pretty. Well IMO :)

So here is the list. I have spent days compiling it and comparing prices and this is what I've got.

Model 200 Eshopps Refugium Filters | Filters | PetSolutions

2 1400's Koralia Evolution Pumps | Power Heads | PetSolutions

Overflow dual 1000 model Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

Return pump- Aquarium Water Circulation and Water Pumps: Taam Rio® HyperFlow

JBJ Macro Glo Adjustable
Refugium Light

Eshopps PSK 150 In Sump
Protein Skimmer, 100-150 gal.
tank

For the new lights:

6 ATI aquablue specials
2 ATI Blue Plus
4 ATI Actinic

So what do you think? I went with a cheaper pump for now and the skimmer looks to be Ok.

Any input, opinions or experience with anything listed above?

I so need the help, I've got just a couple days to finalize all this. I'm gettting soo excited!

hmm most places i read say that the true actinics look off, and the PAR on the blue plus is still high so you can use the blue plus as your actinics and aquablue plus as your day lights, oooorrrr i'm still lookign into this a mix pf purple plus and blue plus

I have 4 bulbs on one switch and two on the other. I was gonna use the aquablues as the whites like I do on my 55g and add one blue plus to run with the whites on the one switch. The 2 true actinics on each side will be my blues.

I put my sump on a battery backup like they sell for computers. Figure that will by me a little time if power goes off and thus decrease chances of flooding. Also put my heater on it.

Flooding shouldn't be an issue so long as you put valves on the piping from the overflows to the sump.

Of course I suppose is the power goes out and your not home, you should have a large enough sump anyways.

i always though the check valves go on the return pump thats what really creates a back siphone when the water in the pipes fall back down and suck more in through the return jets

I put my sump on a battery backup like they sell for computers. Figure that will by me a little time if power goes off and thus decrease chances of flooding. Also put my heater on it.

what size is your UPS? is it goign to supply enough amp hours to supply the pumps and heaters for atleast 20 minutes?

I don't remember off the top of my head. I figure if I'm home then once I know it won't flood, I can just run the heaters. I've checked several times and the syphon breaks worked, but I just wanted the added protection.

makes sense, i know there are many different sizes and the normals ones only run a computer for 30minutes to an hour and computers pull next to no power compared to heaters and pumps

makes sense, i know there are many different sizes and the normals ones only run a computer for 30minutes to an hour and computers pull next to no power compared to heaters and pumps
That statement is untrue... Pumps take next to no power... it's the heaters lets say you have 2 300W heaters and a pump (100W) that's 700W most high end computers take between 500W-1500W. Although the low end computers take 300w-700w and laptops take between 200w-500W

Yeah my comp has a 1500 watt power supply and I use about 60% most of the time but during a gaming session its over 80%. My comp isnt the norm but I agree with greenmaster unless you have several pumps and heaters a tank wont compare. Also those numbers aren't taking in account for a monitor (energy hog) which backup units also power

So I added everything up and of course I'm over budget. LOL

I was going to get this skimmer
Eshopps PSK 150 In Sump Protein Skimmer, 100-150 gal. tank - AquaCave
but I think it will be same as using my remora hang on. :(

Also, should I replace all the t5's? There are 12 bulbs and they cost over $240. If I cut one or both of these items I would have some extra money for maybe more base rock. :)

How important are these 2 things? I have no idea when the bulbs were replaced last if thats any help.

Thanks guys, looking forward to some more input. We're getting closer.....:-D

Back
Top Bottom