Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #1101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Wow, one or two cubes? LOL

I must be a stingy feeder. Maybe that's why i generally have 0 nitrates? hehee...

lol I only feed every other day (not right now though since the fish have ich) and there is like 14 fish in there! It doesn't have nitrates or too much of an algae problem so it's all good I also thaw the food in tank water and strain it before I add it, all that gross junk that causes algae and nitrates is usually thawed into the water.

edit - I actually rarely feed them a full two cubes, usually thaw out two cubes for the seahorses since they need to be twice a day and then feed my nano from that also and my pico, then I give the leftovers to the big tank and sometimes add an extra cube if there isn't much left. I keep any leftovers in our basement fridge for later use.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #1102
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm gonna have to find a happy medium somehow. I'm gonna figure out how to throw one power strip and kill the powerheads so at least the fish can see the food. I'm not gonna kill the return pump just for feeding, that'll drive me nuts. lol

I'm also worried about my new flow rate. Right now I only have one of the tubes in the overflow with siphon so I have the return pump throttled back at the ball valve i installed. BUT today when I install the new overflow it's rated for 1200gph and I'll be almost letting the return pump go full throttle. I can't imagine what thats gonna do to the fish.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #1103
Aquarium Advice Addict

i thaw my food in RO water befopre i feed it to my fish. i feed mysis shrimp to them two tiems a week and NLS marine pellets every day
Old 06-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #1104
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My tang is spitting out the nls pellets. :-(

The clowns caught a couple of them though. I haven't seen the blenny eat yet either but I'm sure he's fine. I left an algae sheet out too
Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #1105
Aquarium Advice Activist

In the 180 I feed 2 cubes every other day. Or 1 cube and part of an algae sheet. That's for like 12 fish, 4 shrimp, and the dendrophelia (he's the only coral I spot feed)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #1106
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My new overflow just arrived!! Yay!

I'm trying to set it up but I forgot to have my b/f help me move the lights off the top so I'm kinda dead in the water. I turned everything off too so theres like no flow in the tank until he gets home. :-(

On a brighter note ALL the fish are now out and swimming. I think I might have too much flow in there for them. They are all eating flake right now and just swimming everywhere.

I have the return pump @ about 1200gph and 2 Koralia 1400's. Do you think thats too much flow? This is the first I've seen the gramma or the blenny since they went in last night so it's gotta be the flow.....
Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #1107
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
My new overflow just arrived!! Yay!

I'm trying to set it up but I forgot to have my b/f help me move the lights off the top so I'm kinda dead in the water. I turned everything off too so theres like no flow in the tank until he gets home. :-(

On a brighter note ALL the fish are now out and swimming. I think I might have too much flow in there for them. They are all eating flake right now and just swimming everywhere.

I have the return pump @ about 1200gph and 2 Koralia 1400's. Do you think thats too much flow? This is the first I've seen the gramma or the blenny since they went in last night so it's gotta be the flow.....

Maybe, I only have two Koralia power heads on our 260 tank and then a wave box, I don't know how powerful the Koralia's are. You have four power heads?
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #1108
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe make it so the powerheads are pointed at the glass first rather than going straight across the tank? I don't know if that's what you're already doing but worth a shot. Or point them more towards the top of the tank too.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #1109
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm just running the 2 1400gph koralia's and the output of course. I still have 2 750's I could use but I was thinking that wouldnt be enough flow.

I got my new continuous overflow working all by myself! I should have just gotten this one at first! I'm such an idiot sometimes. LOL But it's simple as pie to use, no sucking on an air hose and it's quiet.

I've been searching the LA site and am trying to narrow down what I'm gonna buy. They just got back in stock the lyretail anthias in both male and female and I was wondering if I should add them first? Then maybe add the 3 tangs at the same time? I changed my mind about the sand sifting goby, I think I can keep a clean sandbed without him, I hope anyways. But I have really wanted a midas blenny for my cube but now that I am getting a mandarin instead I figured maybe I could add the midas to this tank.

Will the midas and my lawnmower get along ya think? i could order the anthias and the midas at the same time I guess along with the inverts i want for the pico.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #1110
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o.Kelsey.o0 View Post
Pics???

I'd return the kenya tree, once happy they drop arms like crazy and will very quickly take over your pico, or any tank haha. The xenia is fine but should be kept isolated to one rock because it will also grow quickly and can take over tanks.
Xenia is hit or miss, with me, didn't matter where I had it, it is everywhere, even have to scrap it off the back glass sometimes, I wouldn't take the chance. I have it in two of my 3 tanks.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com