Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you seen melsous's tanks? OMG! awesome ness. Thats the tank i strive for. Mr. X also has had some really spectacular setups as well. :)

But thanks for the compliment. :)

Yea like the old ciggy add used to say "You've come a long way baby"(y)

I did it. I actually bought another 125g tank and stand. Paid $100 for it. Needs some work though. I plan on painting it all black to start off with. Also, one of the plastic support pieces is melted a little. Is this going to cause me any problems?

I'm afraid I jumped the gun on this one a bit because of the price......Theres also a small chip of glass missing from a corner which I didn't see til I was unloading it. :-(

Pictures below, any input or opinions on this issue please post!

img_1503872_0_25fdaf46221c5fa035c1c394c3a4a0ef.jpg

img_1503872_1_2724422d91228920dc8a841f50f9face.jpg

img_1503872_2_7c7be0b9e89ea71ec45f6f4b141221bf.jpg

I know right? I can't believe it's the same tank! Alot of work went into it though so I'm glad its all worked out.

ha half makes me want to throw my cichlids back in the 75 gallon sw im working on and do it to my 125. still have yet to put a drop of salt in it... im on my way to check for leaks.

It's been two weeks since I got my blue tang and put him into qt. He hasn't shown any signs of ich, stress or anything else. other than him sleeping in his side under a rock he has been a perfect fish, a little shy but happy and healthy. He also never lost his bright blue color which I gather is something that happens to tanhs when they get stressed.

When do you think I can move him over? I wanted to order a set of blue reef chromis next so I would want the tang out of the qt just in case the chromis have something.

Is two weeks enough? I've spoken to some veryhighly regarded members and some don't even qt! I know alot of people will qt for a month of longer but in my case is that necessary? The 125g has been stable since the deaths a few months ago, none of the fish have exhibited any issues or stress.

I'm just kinda sad watching the blue swim around all by himself all the time, I think he needs company.

Would moving him over this weekend sound ok?

carey said:
It's been two weeks since I got my blue tang and put him into qt. He hasn't shown any signs of ich, stress or anything else. other than him sleeping in his side under a rock he has been a perfect fish, a little shy but happy and healthy. He also never lost his bright blue color which I gather is something that happens to tanhs when they get stressed.

When do you think I can move him over? I wanted to order a set of blue reef chromis next so I would want the tang out of the qt just in case the chromis have something.

Is two weeks enough? I've spoken to some veryhighly regarded members and some don't even qt! I know alot of people will qt for a month of longer but in my case is that necessary? The 125g has been stable since the deaths a few months ago, none of the fish have exhibited any issues or stress.

I'm just kinda sad watching the blue swim around all by himself all the time, I think he needs company.

Would moving him over this weekend sound ok?

That is what I would do. My blue hippo sleeps sideways under a rock also.

I'll 2nd it As long as it's not showing signs of stress it should be ok Most times just shipping then moving them from box to tank causes enough stress to show any problems

i know this doesnt quite answer the question but i have to share, i found my Picasso trigger doing the same exact thing, sleeping in his usual spot, but he was on his side. i used my feeding extension to gently poke him...he didnt move...fearing the worst i pushed him a lil more, finally he slowly woke up and backed out all groggy...guess i caught him really snoozing good lol

LOL, thats funny. I thought my porcelain crab was dead yesterday for sure, so I started poking at it and nothing. Went to get my tweezers to pluck him out and he was gone. lol Silly fish scaring me like that. lol

My tang is a lazy one too, the house lights are on now but he's still under his rock asleep. Wish I could sleep that well .hehe

Ha. Is that the official method enforced by aa users? "when in doubt poke it with a stick?"

Still waiting until the weekend to add to your dt? That must be a long wait. I envy your patience.

When in doubt poke it with a stick LOL.

I am just itching to get the tang into the 125g. :) means I can get my blue reef chromis and add them to the DT. I'm always planning ahead.....

Also considering a diamon back sand sifting goby but Idon't think i will DT him cause of the live food in the sand thing. I know theres plenty in the 125g not so sure about the DT though.

Id QT em he'll eat the food you toss him it's just he'd rather have what he can find in the sand bed
And thats my motto "When in doubt poke it with a stick" :whistle:

Carey, I just have the same problem as you with the ich, I will like to know if you left all your rocks and sand like that or did you empty your tank and restart again? Sorry to bother you but I am at the same point right now, thanks in advance.

Oh, I didn't have the ich. It's still unclear what killed the 6 fish and left the others alive. I had no spots or rubbing, justone day they would hide and not eat the next day instant death.

I did let my tank stay as is without adding anything for about 2 months to be safe in case it was velvet.

I know a bit about the ich, and if you put your fish into a qt tank and medicate, THEN leave the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks the ich will be dead. It doesnt host onto inverts or corals only fish. So remove the fish and they can't live. I think the full life cycle of ich is 6 weeks but people are usually a little cautious and add some time.

You can treat in a qt with copper like cupramine or you can use the hypo salinity method in which you lower your salinity each day by a little bit to get the ich to dislodge off the fish.

here's a link for you

Marine Ich or White Spot Disease

I hope you beat this thing!! Let me know what you decide to do. I'm rooting for ya! :-D

Back
Top Bottom