Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #1111
Aquarium Advice Addict

Midas and lawnmower should get along, I researched it before I added my starry blenny (which was going to be a lawnmower at first). There was quite a few people who had both midas and lawnmower, my midas didn't even acknowledge the starry blenny when I put him in, first thing he went and sat right beside the midas's rock too. They now are usually always very close to each other, never acknowledging each other though haha.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #1112
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok cool. Then maybe I'll order them together.

I'm having another problem with the return pump....I have the new overflow which is rated for 1200 gph going and the return pump still has to be throttled back almost halfway to keep the chamber full enough.

Looking at the inlet pipes it doesnt look like a ton of water is going through into the filter sock. My hoses from the overflow to the sump are about a foot too long each, could this have something to do with it? One is actually kinda sideways almost. Also, does the water level in the tank have anything to do with this?

Thanks looking forward to some enlightening answers!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #1113
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can you adjust your overflow up and down ?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #1114
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space lord View Post
Can you adjust your overflow up and down ?

Yep. Does that matter?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #1115
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah it slows the flow rate and raises it so you aren't killing your return pump.

midas blenny is so perdy i want one
Old 06-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #1116
Aquarium Advice Activist

Leo- can you expand on what your saying about the overflow. I have the same problem of having to throttle way way back but I have the built in overflows. Are you saying this will hurt my return pump in the long run?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #1117
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yes, elaborate please, I don't get it.....LOL
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #1118
Aquarium Advice Addict

RandJ you are best to put a Y on your return pump and have at least one side of the Y all the way open (probably the one going up) and then you open the other side until you reach the desired flow rate... or you start with them both open and you close the "sump return" until the "tank return" is at the right flow rate. It's better for the pump that way... but If Leo has a way to increase your overflow rate and you want more flow in your tank (most tanks do) you should do that first and then if you still need to slow down the flow to your tank, you should try my suggestion.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #1119
Aquarium Advice Addict

you shouldn't really have an issue throttling back the pump. if anything the propeller may not last as long but also you're forcing your pump to pull more power and its not pumpign at its full potential so you are creating wasted electricity.

RandJ - how come you have your pump dialed down if you have gravity over flows? are they not rated as hig has your pump can do?

carey - in your case its the same thing ony you can adjust the flow rate of the siphon, so why not use the pump to its full potential and get the max flow rate to the wattage you're using
Old 06-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #1120
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How do I adjust the flow rate of my overflow though? Thats what has me stumped.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com