Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #1211
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

These eshopps square ones are different though. they are uber thick like a filter pad and very stiff. Thats why I'm gonna try to find an alternative. It also doesn't help that I have to take my skimmer out to get to the sock. :-( Makes a 2 minute job take 30 minutes.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #1212
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey

Yeah, I'm kinda skittish about the bleach myself. I wish I had day's nerve LOL. I'm hoping the 7" round socks fit I woudnt mind buying 2 of those a month hehe....But 4 of the other ones? It'll bust my budget

I'll have to think about the bleach idea...
Well,..ya gotta do what ya gotta do but,...I've been doing this every single week for the last six months and haven't noticed any problems,...IMO it's just making sure that the socks are rinsed and dried out properly,....I understand your guys being cautious, but this is just what I myself have been doing,,wether you want to implement it or not is up to you,...just MY view on the subject,.. But until I notice a problem or mr.x yells at me I'll probably just continue doing so,... :- )

Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #1213
Fish R friends, not food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
Even the thought of bleach within 50 feet of my tank frightens me, I don't doubt anyone's personal experiences but I wouldn't clean anything with bleach regardless of how well I rinsed it after.
Bleach is Chlorine. Water with Prime neutralizes it. No worrys at all. I clean all my decor and fake plants with it.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #1214
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont use prime, RODI water only for me.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #1215
Aquarium Advice Addict

But I see your point, I never said you can't do it, I just said I wouldn't.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #1216
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
what i did when i used filter socks is -every 2 or 3 days i would change them out, then, when i got all but one dirty, i would turn them inside out and put them in the clothes washer without soap. they came out pretty good.
i had about 5 of the 7" socks. i never used any bleach on them, and don't think it's necessary. the washer does a fine job. they aren't 100% pure white when they come out, but they are plenty clean for re-use.

btw, be careful when you turn them inside out- there will be lots of pods to gently pick off and toss back in the tank, and occasionally a bristle worm or two as well. once in a while even a fish may be found in there.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #1217
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ahhh I was waiting for you to chime in!

So I would assume gentle wash on cold water? I have a front loader washer hopefully that won't make a difference.

I will get some more socks this week and give it a try.

Thanks very much.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #1218
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yes, we had a front loader at the time as well. i put it on sanitary most of the time, but "quick wash" seemed to work ok too....
Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #1219
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
what i did when i used filter socks is -every 2 or 3 days i would change them out, then, when i got all but one dirty, i would turn them inside out and put them in the clothes washer without soap. they came out pretty good.
i had about 5 of the 7" socks. i never used any bleach on them, and don't think it's necessary. the washer does a fine job. they aren't 100% pure white when they come out, but they are plenty clean for re-use.

btw, be careful when you turn them inside out- there will be lots of pods to gently pick off and toss back in the tank, and occasionally a bristle worm or two as well. once in a while even a fish may be found in there.
Mr x ,..thanks for chiming in as well,...do you find anything wrong in using the bleach method as long as everything is rinsed out well ?
P.s. Thanks for not yelling at me
Old 06-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #1220
Aquarium Advice Freak

All this talk about bleach brings me back to a time when I was 10 years old and would bleach my coral skeletons overnight, then rinse the heck out of them, and finally sun dry them on the porch.

Back in the tank they would go in a breath taking never-possible-in-nature layout. God, how cool I thought it was......

Enjoying the build Carey, keep the pics come'n =-)

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com