Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That statement is untrue... Pumps take next to no power... it's the heaters lets say you have 2 300W heaters and a pump (100W) that's 700W most high end computers take between 500W-1500W. Although the low end computers take 300w-700w and laptops take between 200w-500W

just because a powersupply is rated at 500 watts doesn't mean it pulls that much. they pull 500 watts at 12 VDC but they pull about .5 amps from your standard 120 volt wall outlet which is about 60 watts

carey, if you gon't have enough money for the skimmer then why not just wait. let your tank sit and cycle itself, so in about a month or so you should have enough money for the skimmer and everythign should be good to go. all nitrifying barteria should be set and waiting for live stock

Last edited:
well cause I'm impatient. LOL no, really. Is the eshopps 150 skimmer that bad of a choice? If it's gonna be decent I think I can find my way to buying it now.

I will be holding off on the bulbs though. I decided to wait til I sell at least one of my current setups. I have a 29g on CL and the 55g goes on as soon as I move over to the 125g.

i've never used the eshopps, it looks to be an alright skimmer, the construction looks to be pretty good, but the only thing is the pump i'm not sure of, thats really the biggest factor of a skimmer. yes, all the little things do change how it skims but the main thing is the pump and if it pumps enough air and chops up enough to make tiny bubbles that have a good contact time then it will be fine.

i say hold of and be patient, let everything setup the way its supposed to, you can even use your remora for a little while and keep it FOWLR until you can get the skimmer you really want

Only you could get 17 pages in 7 days...jeeze it took a long time to catch up! I hope everything works out :)

just because a powersupply is rated at 500 watts doesn't mean it pulls that much. they pull 500 watts at 12 VDC but they pull about .5 amps from your standard 120 volt wall outlet which is about 60 watts...

ROFL most CPU's take over 100W at idle. The .5 amps is the power it takes when turned off... just to power the switches and softstart/Network start.

As far as the lights are concerned I'd replace a pair every couple of weeks to defer the cost out. Starting with some currently... that way you get new lights in a "timely manner" but also take less of a chance of an algae bloom from poor lighting... my 2cents if its worth it these days.
Also as long as you have a HOB skimmer I'd use that until you can get a better one. You are not even cycling yet, Lights and skimmer aren't really all that important currently right? as you should be lights off skimmer off for the next month. If your tank limps along for another month with a few bad bulbs and a skimmer that barely makes min. it'll be ok, especially if you're going to drop something worth the wait in the end. That's all we do in this hobby is wait and save for the next best thing right?

Actually, I was intending on moving the 55g right over to the 125g. I was gonna set things up for a week or so then move half the rock over and rockscape with the base rock I'll be getting. I've moved tanks before and haven't had an issue. I don't expect a cycle. I will of course be checking like a madman LOL

I think I came up with what I'm going to add!!

I want a Atlantic blue Tang, a yellow tang and a school of anthias. I will add a sifting goby and a mandarin by years end.

ahh yes i forgot you were breaking down your 55 for this tank!... My advice is still the same. what you have will work, but there is better stuff out there and saving to get it imo is worth it rather than getting something that you can afford and regretting it later when you're replacing it.

All good. Just emptied it today so i can clean the underneath of the tank and so I can add epoxy into the glass gouge. :)

I hope to get started with the painting this weekend.

ahh yes i forgot you were breaking down your 55 for this tank!... My advice is still the same. what you have will work, but there is better stuff out there and saving to get it imo is worth it rather than getting something that you can afford and regretting it later when you're replacing it.

Duly noted. I'm still not sure if I'm gonna go with the skimmer yet. I may see how this all shakes out moneywise and see if I can't squeeze out an extra $100 for a better skimmer.

id hate to see you have to do a 50% pwc for nitrate n stuff that'd be hard work! hey Carey could you you check out my thread im havein major issues

Back
Top Bottom