Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #1301
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks. I'm thinking of getting 3 females to go with this male anthias. The females will be yellow but I think it would look great.

On good notes, my tangs have finally calmed down and my skimmer is actually finally producing some gunk. yay! I also hooked up my remora on the sump just in case I need more skimming. So far so good. Parameters are still all at 0 though. Any idea how long it takes to build up nitrates in a 125g tank?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #1302
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it sounds like you are overstocking your tank to me. 3 tangs and 4 anthias, along with whatever else you have is too much IMO.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #1303
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Think the anthias will be too much? I was gonna go with green blue chromis instead but I'm just so in love with the new anthias. LOL

i've also decided against the four tangs, the 3 I have now are good.

I could always keep the male squareback as my centerpiece fish.

Not that it's a valid opinion, but the lfs i was at the other day told me I could keep 30 fish in a 125g. LOL he suggested a school of bartlett anthias and the chromis, like 10 of them. hehe.....I kinda figured he was overstocking..
Old 06-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #1304
Aquarium Advice Addict

chromis are boring IMO. a waste of bio load. there are so many more colorful and interesting fish i'd rather have. even a blue reef chromis is a nicer looking fish.
those anthias will get to about 4" and a 125 is not a huge tank. along with 3 tangs which aren't the lowest bio load fish you could have added, it's too much.
sure, you could keep 30 green clown gobies in a 125, but not 30 look down fish. that LFS is giving bad advice to make sales. either that, or they are just plain ignorant.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #1305
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I initailly wnated the blue reef chromis but I've been hearing that they aren't the easisest fish to keep and that they die really easy. Some sites online don't even have a live arrival guarantee on them. :-(

i would much rather have someof the caribbean chromis then. Unless of course there is a reason I shouldnt .

And the lfs wasnt actually trying to sell me the fish, they know I go to anothe lfs usually. The only thing I've ever gotten from this place were my b&w clowns and a new green clown goby for my pico. This particular lfs also advocates NSW for water supply. They get it themselves and have been pyushing it on me every time I go in. part of the reason I dont go there much. lol

I know the tangs are huge as far as bio load but I did get the 125g so I could have some. )
Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #1306

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Some quick shots of my squareback anthias. The pictures do not do the colors justice.
Beautiful fish! (I still think the tank would of been cooler with like 200 barnacles and 200 barnacle blennys...)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #1307
Aquarium Advice Addict

you'll see that the blue/green chromis are similar. they will die off for no apparent reason and you might be left with one. i didn't have a hard time with the reef chromis i kept. i don't know why they say they are hard to keep.
why do they say collected sea water is better than the other? i wonder how long it stays in bins until you buy it. don't forget that calcium precipitates out. it's just a matter of time.
i would keep 3 tangs in a 125, but not until they were full grown.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #1308
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh I don't believe in using direct from the ocean sea water, too many variables. lol

I think I may go back to my original idea of the reef chromis. Real colorful fish and they look like they would school if i had enough.

Thanks for the input Mr. X.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #1309
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Carey, wow is all I can say!! I and some odd pages to a build that's not even that old...I read 30 but started getting sick lol. Absolutely amazing build! Hope all is still well with the tank (structurally speaking)... Watch out for my 125g salt build coming now! Found an offer I couldn't pass up
Old 06-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #1310
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks!
I'll be watching. i always watch the new builds, saves me from doing them myself LOL

125g i've found to be the perfect tank. Just the right size, not that I'm not considering a 220g for my future upgrade but 125g is a nice place to be at. You have a whole door of new opportunities with different fish and corals.

Good luck!

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com