Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #1311
Aquarium Advice Addict

i like the standard 180gs

they have the same length and 2 inches taller then the 125 but they are 6 inches wider, so aqua scaping is great and lots of room for fish to turn and play.

last time i went to my LFS i saw a 125 predrilled with dual overflows and was temped to buy it, but i restrained myself :P

Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #1312
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL. I would def like a 24 inch wide tank, that would be awesome!

For anyone who wants to know how filter socks come out after using a steam heavy duty washing machine cycle, I'll let you know. Just threw them in, has almost 2 hours to go.

Also figured out that the round filter socks don't fir exactly righ in the eshopps refugium mount. :-( I have one in there for now just seeing if it will hold up. The rectangular socks are pricey and only come in felt not mesh so they clog up all the faster.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #1313
Aquarium Advice Addict

that sucks, i wish there was a way to modify it for round socks.

on a side note, today i just bought some KZ lamps for my 4 lamp fixture, i got two super blue, one figi purple and 1 new generation coral lights, and let me tell you, they look awesome, its a really nice blue with a slight purplish tinge to it. and from what i've read after some googleing is they produce 25-30% higher PAR then ATI or gmanns.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #1314
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question carey but how's the light fixture working for ya?? Could you possibly suggest some beginner salt fish for me?? Wanna start off easy and work my way up
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #1315
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm gonna get a few round socks and a few of the rectangular ones. Just to be safe.
I was looking at the KZ's but I couldn't find a color combo I'm interested in. I'm still debating the ATI's for this week.

I want to replace the whites first, the tank does have a yellowish tinge to it and I prefer a bluer tank.
So the plan is for 6 aquablue specials now, then maybe in a few weeks get the two true blues and 4 of the actinics. Sound like a plan?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #1316
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate View Post
I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question carey but how's the light fixture working for ya?? Could you possibly suggest some beginner salt fish for me?? Wanna start off easy and work my way up

It all depends on what you like. And what fish you already are getting in the new tank. Gotta make sure they are combatible. i alwasy recommend gobies, blennies and clowns.can't go wrong with those guys.
For your bigger fish, well, now thats up to what you want as far as size, color and tempermeant.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #1317
Aquarium Advice Addict

also if you want to go reef or FOWLR
Old 06-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #1318
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I did the washing machine thing for the filter socks and they appear cleaner. Def not the white they were but I will find out in a few days if it works.

Another great suggestion from this forum. Excellent.

I've been going back and forth with stocking, the only thing I've ruled out is the additional tang and the school of anthias. After alot of research I think 4 anthias will be too much as Mr. X said earlier.

I'm thinking a school of blue reef chromis now. The regular blue/green ones are a bit boring I guess. After the chromis it's just a matter of adding stuff I like. Nothing too big or anything like that. Unless I see a purple filefish, then I will be adding that.

Still toying with putting another goby and a midas blenny in the tank. I'm back on small fish now. LOL I'm still against an anenome but I'm open to most anything else coral wise.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #1319
Aquarium Advice Activist

Carey what's a purple filefish look like?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #1320
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Heres the one I want. Still researching.....lol

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Purple Tilefish

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com