Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #1481
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

More BAD news.

My anthias is dead. Just pulled him out of the tank. No visible signs of trauma or anything so I'm at a loss. He has been hiding for the last 2 days but I thought it was the flow in the tank. I got this guy the same day as the blue tang, but they def didnt die from the same thing.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #1482
Aquarium Advice Addict

where did you buy them?

keep an eye on the rest of your fish, maybe those two had some sort of illness.

it seems like today its a bad news day for both you and lefty

Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #1483
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, another member just lost a fish too. hopefully it travels in threes this bad luck.

I got the fish in the same store I've gotten all of my fish. I got the anthias the same day as the blue tang that died, but the anthias def didint have anything physically wrong with tyhe corpse. the bleu tang was all sorts of messed up.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #1484
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Yeah, another member just lost a fish too. hopefully it travels in threes this bad luck.

I got the fish in the same store I've gotten all of my fish. I got the anthias the same day as the blue tang that died, but the anthias def didint have anything physically wrong with tyhe corpse. the bleu tang was all sorts of messed up.
So Carey ,..what's your plan of attack??? ..... Obviously there's something afoul ,.... Maybe pm mr x ,... He might know the answer or at least give you a plan to get started.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #1485
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
It is possible that if that tang actually had velvet that it's in your display. But since the fish doesn't APPEAR banged up, not sure what to tell you.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #1486
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well I know I'm gonna watch the other fish intensely. They all look normal and have nothing on them No ich or white stuff. The browning that was on the tang wasnt on the anthias at all. He was fully intact, looks like he just died right before I got up.

How long does marine velvet take to announce itself and how long do I know if I have it in the tank? Is it worse than ich?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #1487
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's another parasite, so it's similar but there are some less obvious symptoms as well.

Marine Velvet/Amyloodinium ocellatum: A Discussion of this Disease and its Available Treatment Options - Reefkeeping.com
Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #1488
Aquarium Advice Addict

this sucks carey, i hate to see a fellow reefer run into problems
Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #1489
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm it could be velvet i guess. The link didnt' have any pictures, but was VERY informative. More of a reason to QT the next fish i get.

SO, could this be an isolated thing with the 2 new fish or should I do something? I'd hate to remove the fish and treat them if it's not necessary. I have a 10g ready to go and of course the 55g but I'm hesitant to muck up the live rock and sand in there since I will be selling it off soon.

It took the tang less than a week to die and about 9 days for the anthias to pass. Could the anthias not have been eating? I cant say I saw him eat once, but I did see a line of poop so i assume he was eating something.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #1490
Aquarium Advice Addict

Velvet was the first thing I thought of when you said skin peeling. Its possible the anthias could have stopped eating, I've seen those squarebacks refuse food.

Just keep an eye out. If it is velvet, its a parasite and could very easily be floating around that tank, if anyone looks slightly weird, pull em.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com