Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think that should be enough flow for it to begin with, if you want more flow later on you can always add more.

as for the sand it should be fine, just be sure to rinse it off

Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The "quikrete" kinda throws me off since I associate that with cement. LOL Will it be silicate free do you think? It doesn't say on the close up of the bag. Or is all "play" sand silicate free?

Cool deal for the powerheads, I was so hoping I didn't have to drop $100 each on magnums or something. I figure I'll put the smaller ones on the back wall and the new ones on each side and have them all crash somewhere in the middle.

This is gonna be so much fun! I can't wait til Monday when I can get some cash! I'm thinking of getting 100lbs of base rock from reefcleaners insted of 50...not sure yet though. I';d love to save some money. I already have 100lbs in my 55, 20lbs in my pod tank and 50lbs in my 29g that I have for sale. I may even steal some out of my cube.

Good idea to stick with just 50lbs? I don't want the tank to be empty but I don't want rocks all precariously balanced like they are in my 55 now.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict

even if there were silicates in the sand i wouldn't worry to much about them. glass is melted down sand, and if the silicate in the glass don't disolve, then how likely are the silicates in the sand going to do this.

the whole play sand thign is a myth , have a friend who uses only play sand and has never had an issues and the hole algae causing myth is also a crock also
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
carey i used that sand from lowes in my old 180 didnt have any issues
Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

The "play sand" isn't as good as "pool sand" because the play sand tends to have more sharp edges (like broken glass) where as the pool sand tends to be more rounded like it is in lakes and oceans. The play sand can cut sensitive fish like sand sifting gobies... Or at least that is what I have heard. It could be wrong but if you could get the pool sand I would say that would be your best bet.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Addict

you'd think that over time these sharp edges would eventually round off from the movement and brushing up against other particals of sand, but it can be possible to get glass and stuff in it if you don't clean it properly
Old 05-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think I will hit up a pool supply place. What EXACTLY do I need to buy? I've seen people go and get the wrong one. Silicate free right? Is there any size in particular?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes if you have lots of movement in your sand then over the next few years it would round off the sharp "glass like" edges of your sand. Most play sand has been mined from dry ground and is "sorted" often times the "sand" is just the smaller portions of broken rock and has not had the chance to get rounded off. Play sand has lots of silica crystals in it. The crystals are often very sharp, like little shards of glass...
Old 05-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice Addict

Silicate isn't a huge deal... given that glass is silica... the silica in the glass actually dissolves into the water long before the crystals in the sand do. But I'm not sure if what you are supposed to get is the "silicate free" one. Size is personal preference, but to large and some of your fish won't like it, or if it is almost dust like then you will get a mud pie at the bottom that gets kicked up every time anything touches it
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wish I lived closer to you Carey. I have a Marineland Model 3 sump I need to sale never even been used. Was saving it for when I upgraded my 29 to 75. Instead I just bought a 125 that is coming with everything including sump, fish, coral, lights, stand etc for $400. On my way to get it now.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com