Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #1501
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate View Post
well now i truly know not to EVER treat my saltie with copper...

It's the tank and live rock you dont want copper to come in contact with. In a separate tank its fine with no inverts.

Copper will wipe out half my display tank so thats not an option.

So far the fish are still acting normal.

Does anyone know how long it might be if it is indeed marine velvet until I see some signs on the other fish? The tang was clearly sick from day one and the anthias looked perfect but wasnt eating from what I could see and hiding since the tang died.

I'm not totally adverse to removing all my fish but I want to be sure before I do it. Its gonna be alot of work if I do it.

Another question though.

How long should I QT new fish for? Some say 2 weeks some say 2 months. While I want to do whats good for the fish, I dont see being in a tiny tank for months would be helpful. Which brings me to this question, how do I qt a large fish? Like a tang? If I got another blue tang I would be getting a larger one so it'd be blue this time. I cant put that in a 10g qt....

Sorry its so long, so many things running around in my head.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #1502
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
some times its so hard to tell what your fish are sick with sorry for the loss

Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #1503
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ANy other ideas hack? The water parameters arent enough to be contributing to fish death are they? Or maybe I just got a bad batch of fish?

And what do you do as far as qt'ing new fish?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #1504
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i have a 20G tank i use for QTing i actually just started doing this maybe 2 months ago i leave them in QT for 2-3 weeks and monitor to see if they show any signs of disease
Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #1505
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you think I should get a larger qt tank while they are on sale? I have 2 10g ones so far. i also have the 55g but I dont wanna mess that up with meds or anything sickly.

Do you treat anything in the qt while you wait? any copper or any other meds?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #1506
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
No, dont treat for anything unless there is something on the fish in there.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #1507
Aquarium Advice Addict

The reason for QT your fish for 2 months is to let the display have no fish in it. Most parasites can't survive without a host so if you QT your fish and treat them, then they are usually not infected after about 2 weeks, but your tank can remain infected for longer while the parasites search for a new host so it is recommended when "resetting" a DT to keep it free from fish for two months or more.
Ich can survive QT if it stays in it's cyst form on the fish, there is no way to treat or get rid of it in this form, although the conditions of a QT are "stressful" enough then it can cause the Ich to prepare to leave the host, at which point it releases it's self from the cyst stage and would die in a treated QT.

A parasite by definition has a vested interest in co-existing with it's host. As long as no unusual disturbance takes place, it will continue it's idyllic existence , in harmony with it's host. However when a new specimen is introduced to the Aquarium, often the established inhabitants become quite excited, feeling that the newcomer will in some way, take their "space", eat their food, or even team up with their favorite fish/companion. This causes some form of chemical message to course its way through the fishes system, in much the same way, as adrenalin causes us, to become excited if we get a fright or suchlike. This chemical message, in some way alerts the parasite, which in effect says to itself, "Oh boy!, maybe I should get out from here, & look for a new host". The consequences are seen the next day, when it bores out from the host, leaving the telltale white spots.

To counteract this reaction, as much as possible, it is advised when introducing new fish to an established Aquarium, to do the following:

1) If possible quarantine the new specimen for 2 weeks. If the fish isn't eating or seems overly stressed you may need to make it shorter in order to save the fish, but you don't want to kill your other fish in an attempt to save the new one so digression is advised.
2) Introduce all specimens with the lighting as subdued as possible in the room, & with no lights on in the tank, continue this at least until the following day.
3) Change if possible one or two rocks, so that the existing fish are concentrating their attention on the change in the habitat they are used to, & not on the newcomer(s).
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #1508
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
No, dont treat for anything unless there is something on the fish in there.
If you are not treating your fish I suggest you keep them in the QT longer rather then shorter. A fish can be infected and not show signs for the first week or more. Most importantly, watch your fish closely in a QT to make sure that they are okay and haven't started to develop any signs of infection/infestation, especially in the final few days leading up to introduction to the DT.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #1509
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Do you think I should get a larger qt tank while they are on sale? I have 2 10g ones so far. i also have the 55g but I dont wanna mess that up with meds or anything sickly.

Do you treat anything in the qt while you wait? any copper or any other meds?
If you are not going to treat everything then I would QT in the 55 for supervision and if they develop symptoms I would move them to a smaller tank for treatment, once treatment has completed I would put it back into the 55g (after cleaning and "sterilizing" the 55g) Unless you would like to purchase a larger QT, if you have space and money, that is probably the better way to go.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #1510
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok, so I shouldnt treat any incoming fish unless there is a problem? Put them in a qt for 2 weeks and observe is the best course of action?

I still have the fish in my 125g with no symptoms of anything wrong.

I think I'll pass on the 55g especially if a fish has something I dont' wanna be sterilizing a tank. LOL

Plus I am selling it. Just havent gotten around to it yet.

I was thinking of getting several schooling fish, a 10g wouldbt be enough for that many fish for 2 weeks would it? I have an extra 20 bucks so I can go get another tank i suppose. Just trying to avoid any more deaths.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com