Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #1611
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
you probably already checked but do you have any ammonia or nitrite

Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #1612
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Carey those new fish brought in something, probably marine velvet. I would qt and treat everything still alive. Leave the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks and start over.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #1613
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This probably doesn't have anything to do with the tank or your parameters. These fish are dying within days of each other. This is something contagious. Look through that list and see if the symptoms are matching. If you catch the other pre-symptom you may save some of them. Did you quarantine the 4 new fish you bought or place them straight in the DT?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #1614
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I already have the other clown removed in a 10g now. he has some sort of skin recesion. It's not peeling but its disclored. I added some voogle and some melafix but thats all I could think to do.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #1615
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

QT lesson was learned after the blue tang died. The kole was in before the blue and was fine. The yeloow went in a week after the kole and the anthias and blue went in together.

amm-0
trite-0
trate-10
phos--.13
salinity-1.025

I just don't understand how they go from fine to dead in a few hours.
The only things left are the blenny and goby. havent seen the gramma in 2 days so I'm not optimistic, but you never know I suppose.

The candycane is aas good as dead then, since I could never find a half inch fish in 6 ft of rock.

what about my sea hare and shrimp?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #1616
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
QT lesson was learned after the blue tang died. The kole was in before the blue and was fine. The yeloow went in a week after the kole and the anthias and blue went in together.

amm-0
trite-0
trate-10
phos--.13
salinity-1.025

I just don't understand how they go from fine to dead in a few hours.
The only things left are the blenny and goby. havent seen the gramma in 2 days so I'm not optimistic, but you never know I suppose.

The candycane is aas good as dead then, since I could never find a half inch fish in 6 ft of rock.

what about my sea hare and shrimp?
Omg carey im so sorry this has happens to you.. please don't give up ur an insperation to many of us..
Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #1617
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try to get them out and give them a formalin bath... Quickcure? contains formalin. That is what I'm reading on Wetwebmedia. It sounds like the tank will have to sit fishless for 6-8 before anything goes back in. From the sounds of it velvet is pretty quick. Fish stop eating and then behave erratically (flashing, lying on sand or rock, gasping for breath) and finally developed a shimmery brown look to them. The parasites actually start at the gills. Fish tend to die extremely quickly. I think that velvet can come in on your inverts but doesn't affect them? So if it is velvet, the general consensus is that shrimp and the hare should be fine.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #1618
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hope it gets better soon, I'm pulling for you!
Old 07-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #1619
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could the whole display tank be treated with formalin? I put quick cure in mine and all is well now (well my fish died, but from the disease cuz it was brooklynella not velvet - and only the affected clownfish died).

Someone else may know better if you could or not. But I removed my snails and crabs and treated the DT.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:32 AM   #1620
Aquarium Advice Addict

its always said when you have a mixed system to QT all fish before they are added, and add slowly as you could bring in a fish and not know which one actually carried the parasite into your system, as well you would not lose so many new fish all at once

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com