Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #1631
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
My heart is breaking for you, we have all been living our tank lives through you. I feel absolutely horrible that you had to go through this

Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #1632
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks guys.

I've been doing a thorough head count and so far the royal gramma is still mising and now the blenny is hiding more than usual. Also seemed to have lost a cleaner shrimp as well. The blenny had no marks on him or anything just hiding. The yellow tang is out and swimming around and eating like nothing at all is wrong. It seems whatever is getting my fish makes them hide first then stop eating. So I'll be watching for a chance to grab the blenny.
But in all this death would you believe the candycane came out to eat and perch? Another fish that thinks nothing is wrong. He looked perfect too.

For whoever is reading this and not QT'ing, this is a huge wake up call.
You may think it's expensive, or maybe that you know your fish store so well, but it happens to everyone eventually. One sick fish brought death into my tank. I am done playing the odds on this, if and when I buy new fish into the 55g they go until I'm satisfied there's no sickness or issues.

I'm also leaning more towards getting my fish online, at least they usually have a 2 week guarantee. I LOVE being able to see a fish and pick him out and have him right away BUT there's generally no warranty of any kind.

I've talked to my fish store guy and while he seemed bummed about my situation he didnt offer to do anything. Not even a free bottle of meds or anything.

lesson number 2- don't buy an iffy fish. I waited and special ordered my blue tang and even though he looked ok, he still was stressed which I assumed would go away. I now know he was sick and I should have just left him at the store.

So many lessons learned. While I am the first in line to learn something, I wish these lessons didnt have to cost the life of my fish.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #1633
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry you had to go through all that. Did you figure out if it was one disease that cause it all?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #1634
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Aww carey I'm soo sorry wish I was physically closer so I could help. Just appears that things progressed a bit too quick and something broke out I know you lost a lot of fish but just stick with it, it'll smooth out in the end, and just think even though you lost your fish, its a lesson well learned that you will more than likely avoid from here on out
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #1635
Aquarium Advice Addict

sometimes the best lessons are the ones that blow up and kick you in the face, those are the ones we learn the most from, but atleast your corals and inverts are still safe, now you can run an invert/ reef for a little bit while any parasites die off
Old 07-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #1636
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Besides I need to pick your brain for a good cuc setup I particularly like the shrimp that actually clean the fish
Old 07-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #1637
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carey, I'm terribly sorry about your fish.
1Vampiregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #1638
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate View Post
Besides I need to pick your brain for a good cuc setup I particularly like the shrimp that actually clean the fish

you mean cleaner shrimp, i love my skunk cleaner, not to say i don';t liek my peppermint but my cleaner tries to clean my hand when i put it in the water :P
Old 07-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #1639
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So is it the skunk or peppermint that actually cleans the fish??
Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #1640
Aquarium Advice Addict

tehre are a few types of cleaners but the skunks are yellow with a red skunklike strip and are known to be the most trusted cleaner. blood shrimp are also cleaner shrimp but are jumbos and not as sleek lookign as the skunk and not as trusted

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...696&pcatid=696

peppermints are known for eating glass anemones aka aspitia

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com