Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #1641
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is how i learn - the hard way. But, thanks to you, when I go to get more fish there is no question I'm going to quarantine them first.

I had been thinking about it but thought it was a hassle. Now it's a no-brainer.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #1642
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
I feel the same way, huge hassle to qt but watching this has def openned my eyes no question, on wjich is a bigger hassle

Old 07-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #1643
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

While I am still totally bummed about the situation, I am very glad that it has converted some people over to QT useage.

I also thought it was a hassle and un necessary but well surprise surprise it's not.

I'm gonna leave my tank as is until August sometime. There are still 3 fish in there that look happy and normal. I'm hesitant to remove them cause of the stress, the yellow tang especially.

The thing that really stinks is I don't know what killed the fish. Still not convinced it's velvet and I know its not ich. I still have an email out to an expert fish disease guy that Mr X recommended.

Should I even bother to treat the 125g with anything "herbal" or "reef" safe? Or just let it take its natural course. I don't even know if I should raise the temperature.

Any guidance would be good. or if you just wanna chit chat thats fine too, I'm bored and bummed.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #1644
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont know if its a good idea for your dt but can you hypo it, just to help kill the desease without affecting your other fish much?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #1645
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have alot of shrimp and inverts....would hypo harm them?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #1646
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-excl...n-feeding.aspx

http://www.aquariumpassion.com/artic...ne-velvet.html

After reading that i wouldnt attempt with inverts or corals in. Although since velvet is also a parasite and most cant handle the hypo treatment so if you can get them into your 55 it may be the best course of action. Im not trying to pressure you into it if you dont want to but, personally, I think it would be best.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #1647
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know what it is either, without good pics (and possibly some microscopic investigation) but it's definitely something contagious and quick. Try garlic juice and vitamins to bolster the remaining fishes immune systems and as soon as they show signs of anything I would get them out. Don't stress them unnecessarily but watch them like hawks. Research the symptoms and see if you can come
up with an appropriate treatment but I wouldn't just randomly treat.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #1648
Aquarium Advice Addict

I apparently didnt read enough about velvet anyhow some places are saying hyp will not kill velvet, so thats no good
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #1649
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
I don't know what it is either, without good pics (and possibly some microscopic investigation) but it's definitely something contagious and quick. Try garlic juice and vitamins to bolster the remaining fishes immune systems and as soon as they show signs of anything I would get them out. Don't stress them unnecessarily but watch them like hawks. Research the symptoms and see if you can come
up with an appropriate treatment but I wouldn't just randomly treat.

Exactly, I don't wanna treat blindly, could do more harm than good.

But if I leave the remaining fish in how long do I wait until nothing else happens? Still wait the 6 weeks?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #1650
Aquarium Advice Addict

what's hypo?

I'd wait it out til you know you are good and stable.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com