Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #1651
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
At least 6, the thing with treating by hypo for fish its pretty safe but unsafe for many micro-organisms floating around. But with your cuc still in there and being unsure i wouldnt do it either, but there hs to be something that will help.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #1652
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Hypo is reducing the salinity of a tank to kill off unwanted crittrs

Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #1653
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
Hypo is reducing the salinity of a tank to kill off unwanted crittrs

Thanks.

Sorry Carey, don't want to hog your thread.

Would putting them in QT to play it safe cause them alot more stress and be worse for them?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #1654
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was toying with the idea of putting them in the 55g but then they might spread whatever they have to that tank. That leaves me with 10g tanks. The goby and blenny would be ok in there but the yellow tang probably wouldnt. I also don't even know what they have so I can't treat them. :-(

Toying with the idea of picking up yet another tank, maybe a 20 for the qt. BUT when I buy new fish i was thinking the 55g then.

Oh, I'm so confused, I don't know if I'm coming or going.

Happy note, the candy cane goby was out and about in the 125g, he looks good too. The tang is doing nothing but eating while the goby is just chilling.

I havent spotted the blenny or the royal gramma lately though,....
Old 07-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #1655
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can't put the tank in a 10 for QT time only? They have to have bigger for that? I was only gone use a 10 for all my qt's.

I was thinking if you had enough tanks, to QT them all separate and just watch, not treat so you can see if they show any thing.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #1656
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh i see your point now. lol I'd rahter not have 3 or 4 10g tanks on the floor all around the house though. lol
Old 07-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #1657
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Ahh i see your point now. lol I'd rahter not have 3 or 4 10g tanks on the floor all around the house though. lol
Didn't know how many you were still watching LOL. I was thinking fish in one and inverts in another.

and I misspelled, should have been tang not tank in the beginning. So can you put a tang in a 10gal for QT (like when you first buy them) or do you have to have a bigger QT size for them?

Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #1658
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Im not sure on the tangs and other large fish. Id think such a small tank for a few weeks wouldn't be the best situation.

Anyone wanna share where and how they qt new fish?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #1659
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Thanks.

Sorry Carey, don't want to hog your thread.

Would putting them in QT to play it safe cause them alot more stress and be worse for them?

That's my take on it. I'm not big on QTing. I figure the whole smaller tank (in most cases) is stressful, then having to net them can't be good either....
When you purchase a fish, hopefully your LFS will hold them for you for a week or two. Also gives you time to make sure they'll eat while you're there. For those who buy fish strictly online, QT may be the best.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #1660
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxb161

That's my take on it. I'm not big on QTing. I figure the whole smaller tank (in most cases) is stressful, then having to net them can't be good either....
When you purchase a fish, hopefully your LFS will hold them for you for a week or two. Also gives you time to make sure they'll eat while you're there. For those who buy fish strictly online, QT may be the best.
Of course, stress can bring on diseases they have like ich, then you can treat them and eliminate it before infecting the whole tank.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com