Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #1681
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
You want to qt but not a month? Read this
http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic35661-10-1.aspx

Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #1682
Aquarium Advice FINatic

4 weeks. The last QT we set up was for 3 nerite snails, a Halloween hermit crab and a cleaner shrimp. But... We, my husband and I, set up some very strong guidelines for our tanks from day one. And... We stick to them. We keep each other in line. No impulse buying and no buying without quarantine. And it's working quite well for us. A lot of people, I'm sure will say that it's overkill and it may be. But we spent more than a year talking about this tank before we ever got our hands wet. We read, we window shopped and we learned. Our mutual understanding of the most common parasite life cycles made us come to the conclusion that 4 weeks would be a safe time to be able to notice signs of
Illness. And enough time to interrupt the reproductive cycle of any parasite hitch-hiking in on an invert. So 4 weeks it is. And that's 4 healthy weeks. Any sick fish gets 4 healthy weeks tacked on to their hospital time.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #1683
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was just asking as I'm curious about how long to quarantine. I want to run copper and quick cure in my QT tanks but I can't find any information about doing this. Just as a preventative measure.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #1684
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quick cure has malachite green, which is a pretty harsh med. One of the articles I've read compare it to chemo for humans. I don't know that I would automatically run it as a preventative. Lots of folks advocate formalin dips but I would find a formula that didn't include the malachite green. I don't automatically treat any of my livestock.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:36 AM   #1685
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think qting corals and sensitive fellows is a bad idea. It's best to place them into their long term home ASAP to keep them healthy and as stress free as possible. I don't add fish anymore so no worries about ich for me

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #1686
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
I can see not qting corals if you dont have a light for them, which lets face it would be quite pricey to have sitting around.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #1687
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think I will be continuing to dip corals and place them immediately. Seems like the best option for them especially since I won't have a good enough light for a qt.

Now, what about shrimp? Since I can't add any fish i was thinking of adding corals and/or inverts. I was also gonna buy some new fish in a few weeks and place them into qt. Figure byt the time they are DT ready the DT will be ready for them. lol
Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #1688
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I think I will be continuing to dip corals and place them immediately. Seems like the best option for them especially since I won't have a good enough light for a qt.

Now, what about shrimp? Since I can't add any fish i was thinking of adding corals and/or inverts. I was also gonna buy some new fish in a few weeks and place them into qt. Figure byt the time they are DT ready the DT will be ready for them. lol
One option, buy your corals and inverts now, put in DT, leave it without fish for at least a month. QT new fish and you should be okay.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #1689
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I plan on leaving the remaining 3 fish in the tank for as long as they last or until August. So far the last 3 seem fine, no symptoms like the other that died. They would stop eating and hide 24/7 and by the next day they would be dead. If I see anything at all funky with these 3 out they will go.

I was thinking of adding maybe a sand sifting starfish and some more shrimp. I seem to have lost a skunk cleaner somehow so I only have 4 now. I also like the fire shrimp too. Not sure who gets along with what though. lol

I found a nice lfs over an hour away that has a special deal on frags, 10 for $140!! And these are nice sized too, nothing tiny there. So I might wanna finish up my coral shopping soon. I was hoping to get a few for the pico as well.

As far as re-stocking I'm totally unsure. I think I may move my misbar oscellaris from my cube to the big tank after this storm passes. I really want another tang but I'm still so unsure. I'm trying to work out a deal with the lfs I get my fish from so that he can hold them for a week or two for me to be on the safe side. Thats what I did with my clowns that died. They were treated in copper for almost 2 weeks and then I picked them up.
I'm still probably gonna get 4 blue reef chromis as well.

Question- will a pink spotted watchman goby get along with a diamond sand sifting watchman goby? I'd love to add one to my tank. I guess even if they don't get along all they do is open their mouths at each other when they fight. My goby sometimes goes after my blenny who doesnt even move.

Sorry so long, just got carried away.

thanks everyone!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #1690
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good plan.

What do you mean, you dip the corals? Dip in what? How long's a dip?

I was looking at the gobies last night, the pink spotted watchman is pretty too. I read they pretty much leave everything alone but some may pick at each other more than others. I still want the mandarin. It's a goby too. Did you get your mandarin?

I have the fire shrimp on my list. I want to research more there too cause not sure of compatibility.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com