Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #1691
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I bought some coral rx, it's supposed to be the best dip and safest out there. You just put a couple capfuls in some tank water in a bucket and let your corals sit in it for 5-10 minutes.

My pink spotted is pretty big, he's almost 5 inches I'd say. Has a nice personality but just perches most of the time. He hasn't formed a relationship with my pistol shrimp yet either. :-( What's cool is he actually goes up to my turkey baster and sucks the food out! It's so neat.

And technically, the mandarin isn't a goby, it's a dragonet. Same as the scooter "blenny".

Old 07-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #1692
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

See I knew happy, fish-loving Carey would be back. And I've heard some good comments about coral Rx. One question I do have is about having your lfs hold fish for a week or so. Couldn't that still leave time for your fish to pick up a disease? I mean if you go to the lfs and pick a fish out, then they simply write on the tank to hold that fish, sure it gives you time to see if anything pops up, but its also enough time for any disease to find its way to your fish.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #1693
Aquarium Advice Addict

True on the dragonet, I should have said what I read. This is a quote from the fish profile. "Though this animal is commonly referred to as a goby, this name is misleading."

from here:

Saltwater Fish Goby, Saltwater Fish Blenny, Saltwater Fish Jaw Fish

Was it the
Pink Spot Shrimp Goby (Cryptocentrus pavoninoides) you were looking at?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #1694
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate View Post
See I knew happy, fish-loving Carey would be back. And I've heard some good comments about coral Rx. One question I do have is about having your lfs hold fish for a week or so. Couldn't that still leave time for your fish to pick up a disease? I mean if you go to the lfs and pick a fish out, then they simply write on the tank to hold that fish, sure it gives you time to see if anything pops up, but its also enough time for any disease to find its way to your fish.

Happy fishloving Carey was replaced my self doubting self loathing Carey for a few days. I just had to get my head around the fact that stuff does happen, even though I have the best of intentions.

Good point on the holding of the fish, but in this case, if they had held the blue tang it would have died within days anyways. And I wouldnt be on the hook or my tank nuked.

One lfs I deal with holds all fish for a week and keep copper running inhis tanks, thats the guy I got my ORA clowns from, but he's pricey and he takes forever to get fish. lol
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #1695
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
True on the dragonet, I should have said what I read. This is a quote from the fish profile. "Though this animal is commonly referred to as a goby, this name is misleading."

from here:

Saltwater Fish Goby, Saltwater Fish Blenny, Saltwater Fish Jaw Fish

Was it the
Pink Spot Shrimp Goby (Cryptocentrus pavoninoides) you were looking at?

I have the pink spotted goby already in the 125g, I wanted to add the diamond sand sifter.

And most people don't know the whole dragonet thing, or else if i did I wouldnt have a scooter "blenny". Fooled me with the name they did. lol If I had known dragonet I would have been like no way, I'll just get a mandarin. hehe...woulda coulda shoulda
Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #1696
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahh ok. The description for the Diamond Sand Sifter doesn't really say much other than it should be alone or as a mated pair.

It sounds like it would be perfect to help with upkeep.

How many "gobies" can you have in a tank?, I mean if you just have them in a fowlr with coral and such?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #1697
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey

I have the pink spotted goby already in the 125g, I wanted to add the diamond sand sifter.

And most people don't know the whole dragonet thing, or else if i did I wouldnt have a scooter "blenny". Fooled me with the name they did. lol If I had known dragonet I would have been like no way, I'll just get a mandarin. hehe...woulda coulda shoulda
That's what happen to me...
Old 07-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #1698
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt try it in anything less than a 6 foot tank. Thats why i waited until now. I figured in the 55 they would meet up more often and maybe fight. I'm telling you, it's hilarious to watch my goby "fight" he just lunges with his mouth open. Doesnt bite or anything, it's all show.

Bad news, i just shut everything down in the 125 and fed like there was no tomorrow. I put in every fishes favorite food and my royal gramma and blenny didn't come out.

The gramma has been missing for about 4 days at least, no ammonia spike, I checked. The blenny was spotted yesterday last time. I'm still pulling for the blenny, he's my b/f 's fave fish too. But it's not looking good.

On a bright note, the tang and goby ate like pigs! and are swimming /perching in their normal locations.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #1699
Aquarium Advice Addict

Um, big tank but can you move rock around to look for the gramma?

Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #1700
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow what a month hope all get better soon but soon

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com