Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish is out and about more but still not eating well enough. I know he was being fed pemysis so I went out today and spent the silly $13 on a pack. I did the feeding just like the lfs guy showed me, he does it with his hand while the tank dissolves the cube. As soon as I did that the fish swam right over and ate the pemysis. So it apparently like to be close to hand fed and only eats snooty mysis. Figures!! LOL But at least he's eating, thats a good thing. still eating lightly but with much more gusto than yesterday.

Any new fish may take several days to a week+ before they are fully acclimated to the tank and eating their share.
Give it time.

Thanks. :)

Common sense tells me this as well, I'm honestly kinda spooked by all the bad things I hear about them so I'm probably just being extra paranoid. I feel under so much pressure to make sure this guy thrives. lol

he had some more mysis and is rally sticking his nose into the rockwork so I'm guessing he's feasting on pods. :-D If it came down to it I think he might be ok just eating them, I sure have enough of them. :)

Thanks. :)

Common sense tells me this as well, I'm honestly kinda spooked by all the bad things I hear about them so I'm probably just being extra paranoid. I feel under so much pressure to make sure this guy thrives. lol

he had some more mysis and is rally sticking his nose into the rockwork so I'm guessing he's feasting on pods. :-D If it came down to it I think he might be ok just eating them, I sure have enough of them. :)

I would think so too. If you have enough pods in the BioCube to sustain a Mandarin and Scooter, you must have enough in the 125g for five Butterflies (well, maybe not that many :lol:).

So far so good! Thanks for asking! He is eating more and more now, I'm starting to feel better about keeping him. I watched him fight with a gigantic pod the other day, the butterfly was desperately trying to eat him but the pod put up a great fight and got away. LOL It's moments like that which make me glad I have a saltwater tank. Something you'd never see otherwise. :-D

carey said:
So far so good! Thanks for asking! He is eating more and more now, I'm starting to feel better about keeping him. I watched him fight with a gigantic pod the other day, the butterfly was desperately trying to eat him but the pod put up a great fight and got away. LOL It's moments like that which make me glad I have a saltwater tank. Something you'd never see otherwise. :-D

So glad to hear that!

Definitely cool stuff!

Glad he is doing well.

By the way, I went to the LFS today and bought a Copperband and Mandarin, sooo excited! :-D They are acclimating now.

Just kidding! LOL. I truly am going to the LFS later though, but won't be buying the above two fish. I actually am not buying ANYTHING living. :) Thanks for the advice yesterday.

redsea said:
Definitely cool stuff!

Glad he is doing well.

By the way, I went to the LFS today and bought a Copperband and Mandarin, sooo excited! :-D They are acclimating now.

Just kidding! LOL. I truly am going to the LFS later though, but won't be buying the above two fish. I actually am not buying ANYTHING living. :) Thanks for the advice yesterday.

Lol. Nutball. I have both in the same tank. And both are very fat. My mandarin is so fat he barely moves! Lol.

Butterfly is doing well still, eating more and more every time I feed. I truly hope I can be an exception with keeping this fish and have it do well. I take everyone's advice very seriously before I make a decision but it seems this time I went against most of the advice I was given. Only time will tell if I made the right choice, I am still not against the idea of removing the fish if he stops eating. It would be a pain but I'd do it. :-D

As in life, where there is good news there is bad as well. :-(

The midas blenny. :-(

He jumped sometime during the night and my boyfriend was getting a glass of milk around 3 am and kinda stepped on him a little. he went to scoop the fish up and he flipped a tiny bit so my b/f dropped him back in the 90g.
The midas didn't move all day but was alive and just a few minutes ago we found the urchin having an early dinner on the midas. :-(

the fish actually made it into the kitchen when my b/f ran into him so who knows if it was being out of tank so long or my b/f stepping on him, but he didn't make it.

I am without a doubt ordering the netting from BRS this group buy, I am tired of loosing fish to jumping. I also lost the fairy wrasse about 2 weeks ago, he jumped as well. I only have 1/2 inch eggcrate covering it now.

To end on a more positive note, "miracle" the yellow watcheman goby is still ok. Still yellow and still swimming here and there occasionally. I think the jury's still out on him though, again, time will tell.

Thanks for reading guys....

Glad to here your Copperband is eating more and more.
I also debated for a long time before purchase, to help with what I thought was some type of tube-worm infestation, and I always wanted one, first Butterfly. Come to find out a few people suggested Hydroids,looked them up and I think that's right, but I swear he's eating them anyway, I've had him just over 3 months and the populations of these things look patchy. I know he could be hunting pods, but it looks like he's tearing the crowns off of them!
Anyway just wanted to comment because I have also really enjoyed watching this guy hunt, he's so cool... Here's a few in action!

View attachment 83098

Inverted!

Awesome fish shots! Like the sun coral too. lol But yeah, I know for a fact mine was eating pods, he hunts like my mandarin. Very selective and slow, it takes seconds for him to decide to strike for food but overall very fun to watch. When I go up to the tank, every fish BUT the butterfly runs away, I love that about him! he is so people friendly.

thanks for the encouragement, and I hope you have continued good luck!

So sorry to here about your Midas, also a really cool fish. Think I would like to get into the next group buy as well.
Let me know what I have to do, if you would. Thanks, and again sorry about your fish, one heck of a roller coaster ride, sounds like an aquarium soap-opera! Lol. Good luck with the fly.

So sorry to here about your Midas, also a really cool fish. Think I would like to get into the next group buy as well.
Let me know what I have to do, if you would. Thanks, and again sorry about your fish, one heck of a roller coaster ride, sounds like an aquarium soap-opera! Lol. Good luck with the fly.

thanks. :)

if you want in on the upcoming group buy just PM me your email address and last name. There is more info on that actual thread, it's under the equipment forum. It will tell you step by step how it works.

As in life, where there is good news there is bad as well. :-(

The midas blenny. :-(

He jumped sometime during the night and my boyfriend was getting a glass of milk around 3 am and kinda stepped on him a little. he went to scoop the fish up and he flipped a tiny bit so my b/f dropped him back in the 90g.
The midas didn't move all day but was alive and just a few minutes ago we found the urchin having an early dinner on the midas. :-(

the fish actually made it into the kitchen when my b/f ran into him so who knows if it was being out of tank so long or my b/f stepping on him, but he didn't make it.

I am without a doubt ordering the netting from BRS this group buy, I am tired of loosing fish to jumping. I also lost the fairy wrasse about 2 weeks ago, he jumped as well. I only have 1/2 inch eggcrate covering it now.

To end on a more positive note, "miracle" the yellow watcheman goby is still ok. Still yellow and still swimming here and there occasionally. I think the jury's still out on him though, again, time will tell.

Thanks for reading guys....

Sorry carey, I am glad Miracle is doing well though!

Do you have a link for the netting? I think it would be a good idea to get it for my tanks. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom