Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #1771
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Carey I went back and looked at your blue tang under the actinic and the photo after it died. And in the actinic light it was covered in ich, my kole tang looked identical to that. I could never see it with regular light or straight on, but look at that actinic shot and look at the fins, definite dots, and way more than the surrounding water. On the after photo it looks like black dots, and spots which tangs can have black ich. The other fish probably died with it in their gills, and perhaps when they were hiding you could not see the dots. Like I said, i could never see the dots except under the blue lights and at an upward angle.

I think someone with more experience should look at that actinic shot again and closely. My clowns that were in the same tank never got one spot, but I'm treating them for the ich that has to be in the gills.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I look for horses when I hear hoof beats, not zebras.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #1772
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I went back to page 138 (if anyone else wants to check) and while I see dots, I think it's just the bubbles and crap that were in the tank. He was put into a qt after I removed him. I didn't have the heart to flush him.

You could be right of course, youre the only person that has seen them for ich, I've shown the photo around of course. In person it looked like the tang had chemical burns on him. Same with the Kole tang, he had big brown blotches on his corpse. The anthias I think just died, I don't think he was eating. And the two clowns lost their "skin" and color it seemed. And the clowns weren't hiding before they died, they were still eating hours before death.

I don't know what to think now. I still have the healthy fish in there and I had to move my oscellaris clowns in there yesterday as they were killing a fish in my cube.

It was suggested to me to try another fish in the tank so I guess this will be the test. Ihope everyone passes. It's been a few weeks but I know not long enough for the ich if its there to die.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #1773
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
if it was ich wouldnt every fish have gotten it?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #1774
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes hactek, but it may be in their gills, or not visible because they were hiding. On the actinic shot look at the water, the bubbles/ spots are dispersed, look really close at blue, there are countless dots, much more concentrated then the water column. And the after is under normal light, like when I pulled out my tang, again I couldn't see the dots.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #1775
Aquarium Advice Addict

And if it is ich..how long does it take for the tank..yes tank to be clear and the ich is gone?

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #1776
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I believe 6-8 weeks.

I made a judgement call putting the clowns in there, I hope it doesnt come back and bite me on the butt.

I'm really starting to stress this all again. If it's ich then I'm pretty much screwed unless I take everything out treat and leave the tank dormant a few months.

I'm starting to second guess myself now. i took the advice of a couple of senior members and some LFS people who said it could have been a fast moving fungal infection.

:-( I am sad again.

Lefty, I love you and all but in this instance I hope your wrong. lol
I've been going over the photos time and time again and I can see where youre coming from. Thats what sucks the most I think.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #1777
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you have ich, you can left the aquarium like that but you will need to change the salinity, you can add melafix (API) - this is the most natural antibacterial, just to confirm that is safe with corals and also inverts, normally it will take from 4 - 6 weeks. I will say that for now you will need a break to be able to think without any more stress.
Hope that this will help you...
Peace!!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #1778
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I believe 6-8 weeks.

I made a judgement call putting the clowns in there, I hope it doesnt come back and bite me on the butt.

I'm really starting to stress this all again. If it's ich then I'm pretty much screwed unless I take everything out treat and leave the tank dormant a few months.

I'm starting to second guess myself now. i took the advice of a couple of senior members and some LFS people who said it could have been a fast moving fungal infection.

:-( I am sad again.

Lefty, I love you and all but in this instance I hope your wrong. lol
I've been going over the photos time and time again and I can see where youre coming from. Thats what sucks the most I think.
I missed the actinic the first time round. I hope someone with ich experience can go over that photo for you. I lost my fish because I was hoping...

Sorry too stress you but I was going through old pics this am and I thought, I should look to see if you had before photos.

Don't stress though, print that actinic pic and show it to someone who knows, or Post the actinic pic under disease forum with no history and see what the consensus is.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #1779
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Good luck finding someone who doesnt know careys history.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #1780
Aquarium Advice Addict

there are waits to speed up the ich die off, raise the tank temp to 84 degrees, raise or decrease the salinity. just let it sit for a few weeks or months, don't rush things, just think you'll have less work to do with no fish in the 125, less water changes and less glass cleanings and best of all now you learned to have a QT when you're dealing with a mixed system.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com