Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm using t5's over this tank, 6 on each side so I think the light should be sufficent if not too much. I know I have trouble with zooas under the lights, just can't seem to keep them long term. :-(

I'm running led's over my new tank so I hope to see the comparison between them.

ALSO!! woot woot!! I have a reef clube friend coming by with a par meter tonight so I will be measuring all the tanks with each type of lighting. Should be really interesting.

on that note, how many readings should I take per tank do you guys think? I know I want a sandbed number but then what? Halfway and right under the water? I have a tape measure handy too so I figured I'd measure and take notes.

I'm at ten on each side(39's), Nd I have the same prob with zoos. I can keep them for a couple years, but they never really seem to do that well, slow growth at best, most slowly dwindle till they're gone. Placement doesn't seem to matter either, high /mid/ low. Pretty universal result, now I just avoid them for the most part.
Can't wait to here your PAR results, I think high/ mid/ low readings is a great idea, with distance to the fixture.

Ok so three measurements as far as distance. Do you think I should take readings with the whites only on, then blue only on and then with both going? Or is that going overboard? LOL

I was thinking of making a chart in excel so when the people come by later I am ready and it wont take that long, they are doing me a huge favor by coming over and using the par meter. I wanna get the most information I can but don't want to intrude too much on their time. I also have 6 tanks I wanted to get readings on. LOL I figure it will be a good comaprison tool for members on the forum. :-D

Wow, I see what your saying. 6 tanks, at 3 distances, and 3 lighting scenarios for each ( blue, white, both). Lots of measurements!
How many different types of lighting do you have? Know you've got T5, LED,.... MH and CFL's too? If so, def be a great reference for everyone here,
Maybe just take various readings on each of the lighting types represented( like above), and any duplicate lighting you have(ie the other T'5's), just take what personal readings you want on that specific tank. Just a thought!

I currently have the following lighting fixtures up and running

125- current Nove extreme pro 12 bulb with all new ATI bulbs
90- odyssea fixture with individual reflectors and old ati bulbs
20g rimless- a fish needit fixture with stock bulbs
29g biocube stock lighting
60g rimless cube with the LED light panels that everyone has on the forum lol
10g with 2 stock squiggly bulbs

I'd love to see what the numbers are on the fishneedit light since I recommend it to alot of people and the 10g would be a good base number so when people wanna start a tank with the bare basics they can know the actual numbers. :-D

About a half hour and they will be here. Cant wait to see one of these things in action. lol

Also, as far as fish news in general over here, I am fish sitting a single b&w clown fish. My friends bought a used setup from CL and couldn't put the clown in with their trigger and the new setup isn't ready for them to use so I volunteered to watch him. LOL I have 2 empty tanks that are for sale so now I have a very hyper clown in my biocube by himself.

Thats it for now I guess, I will make a thread if I get enough information and post later.

Thanks for following guys.

That's so cool! One of my fixtures is the 12 bulb Nova, also with new ATI's.( blue plus/blue special).
Can't wait to see your results!!

Cool, i'm sure the numbers will be interesting.

LOL, instead of baby-sitting you are fish sitting. I wish some of my friends kept SW tanks! I have gotten two to get fish, but their just FW. Oh well, LOL.

Sure Kio, I have some sots. :-D I am the crazy fish photo lady!

I really really like the blue reefs, very active and they hang out together and school. Glad I went with them.

img_1929696_0_693b2e73150d42e4e0ae66d01b69f252.jpg

carey said:
Sure Kio, I have some sots. :-D I am the crazy fish photo lady!

I really really like the blue reefs, very active and they hang out together and school. Glad I went with them.

Totally cool pic carey should be in the potm

Thanks Dary, lol, believe it or not I was thinking of entering it. I didn't know I had a good shot of them until I went looking. :-D

Today I'm planning a 40g water change and I am gonna move some stuff around. I think i want to stack my rock higher so I have more sandbed area open. Also need to move 2 small rocks from the 90g over, they have a few aipastia and I'm sure the copperband would love a treat. lol

Still running the bio pellets, still no results...although I did notice that since I started to run them in my 60g that tank now has a bacterial bloom going on while the 125g didn't experience that. But the water is crystal clear, everything is happy so I am happy.

carey said:
Thanks Dary, lol, believe it or not I was thinking of entering it. I didn't know I had a good shot of them until I went looking. :-D

Today I'm planning a 40g water change and I am gonna move some stuff around. I think i want to stack my rock higher so I have more sandbed area open. Also need to move 2 small rocks from the 90g over, they have a few aipastia and I'm sure the copperband would love a treat. lol

Still running the bio pellets, still no results...although I did notice that since I started to run them in my 60g that tank now has a bacterial bloom going on while the 125g didn't experience that. But the water is crystal clear, everything is happy so I am happy.

Carey,.i was actually thinking about running a bio pellet reactor in my tank.., are you running a brs reactor and pellets or what.?,... I've actually ordered a reef octopus reactor but am currently waiting for them to fill a back order,... From what I've read,...results do not appear overnite but might take weeks/ months to really take effect,....IMO ,...anything to help control our parameters may be well worth the investments,...George carlin in one of his skits referring to being on life support and pulling the plug,..stated something like .. " I don't care if I look like a F %#*^ artichoke ,..if it helps ,put another tube in me..."... And that's kind of how I feel,.if it helps " go for it " :-/

I'm running the standard BRS reactor with about a cup and a half of pellets. That's the max that is recommended for the reactor and it's only supoosed to be good for a 90g tank. I figured I'd try it out on a smaller scale and see if there's any discernible difference. So far, at week 6 I believe nothing. LOL

I believe the recommended amount of pellets is 1 cup per 50g which would put me shy by about a cup, BUT I have also read that it's 25g per cup as well some other places so I figure it should work.

carey said:
I'm running the standard BRS reactor with about a cup and a half of pellets. That's the max that is recommended for the reactor and it's only supoosed to be good for a 90g tank. I figured I'd try it out on a smaller scale and see if there's any discernible difference. So far, at week 6 I believe nothing. LOL

I believe the recommended amount of pellets is 1 cup per 50g which would put me shy by about a cup, BUT I have also read that it's 25g per cup as well some other places so I figure it should work.

Did you get a cyno outbreak when you first started using it ?..... And if so how long did it last? I'm still not yet committed on mine yet ,so I'm just wondering if it's even worth the effort and or money invested

...when you start using it you get a cyano outbreak you say? Well, as long as everything going on in my tank is beginning to make sense...LOL.

If it helps Dary, I'm running a dual reactor w/ GFO and carbon. The tank is really clear and parameters are stable...just had a tank full of cyano and diatoms to look at afterwards.

Sniperhank said:
...when you start using it you get a cyano outbreak you say? Well, as long as everything going on in my tank is beginning to make sense...LOL.

If it helps Dary, I'm running a dual reactor w/ GFO and carbon. The tank is really clear and parameters are stable...just had a tank full of cyano and diatoms to look at afterwards.
I've got the dual gfo/ carbon reactor too,...but thought if the bio pellets would help with the final reduction of nitrates etc that seem impossible for me to lower to zero than why not ( ?) ....but I've read that it actually cause a cyno outbreak at the beginning for some people before it starts to get itself going.....

Back
Top Bottom