Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i did not have any side effects in my 125g at all, no cyano no bacteria bloom. Now my 60g tank got a bloom that just faded yesterday, lasted about 4-5 days. I've only been running a cup or less-ish of pellets in an old phosban reactor for maybe 2 weeks so not sure if the cyano will be coming to the 60g. LOL

I have the output of the reactor going almost directly into my skimmer intake so I should be getting results soon. ever hopeful...lol

The reactor output is supposed to go as close to the intake as possible to maximize organic removal that the bio pellet afford. :) At least that is what every site and reference I have referred to has said. lol

My copperband is a BEAST by the way, I had a rock with an aipastia on it in the 90g so I moved it into this tank. Took him about 20 minutes to find it an eat it! I have one more rock to move over but I expect similar results. Such a great fish the copperband, I wish they weren't so hard to take care as far as food. I have also noticed my pod population has decreased so I know he is eating them, he also eats prepared like a total pig still. Little fattie .....

Also still messing with placement for my torch which has not been looking stellar the last few months. It really doesn't like being on the sand bed so I keep trying to find a mid tank spot for it. Also finally lost the candycanes, they were not happy for the last 6 months or so and finally it lost all it's flesh. Kinda bummed about it, had that coral for like a year. :-(

Figured I'd share some of the bad news as well as the good. Other than that the tank is good. The fish are absolutely great, I've been spending alot of time just sitting in front of it watching it. lol Wish I had room for another tang but I think I am maxed out on them. I think I can get another fish or two but have no idea what i would get. Guess it will be a magic special fish that i will know when I see it. :-D

Thanks everyone for reading!

Sorry for the loss of your Candycanes.

I am glad the Butterfly is doing so well! It must be a fantastic feeling! Maybe I'll get one for my 125g in a year or two when things are more established. :)

I say you get a Purple Firefish or an Australian Stripey, LOL.

I'm thinking a swimmer fish. I have 2 blennys and a goby already. The only fish I can come up with is another female anthias and/or mroe blue reef chromis. I dont think a large fish will be a good choice, like a tang or a foxface or anything like that.

I have 3 wrasses in the 90g, the 125g is open top so I didn't want a jumper in there. lol

Never got around to making covers for this tank and I dont think it will work so well anyways cause of all the stuff hanging off the tank. Overflow, return pipe, the powerhead cords....it'll be alot of cutting out of the screen. :-(

Hi Carey, I was just curious,

Did you ever get your Fungia Plate Coral to bounce back? I was just looking at some old tank videos and saw it.

I like them, but I don't want to buy one someday if they are super hard to look after.

Thanks! :)

Nope, the fungia didn't make it. The sand damage was too much and it just receded so much so quickly it was a lost cause. :-(

I most likely will not be trying another one due to my sand sifters, but if you can keep it from getting covered it should be an ok coral to keep. really pretty too which is what first attracted me to it.

carey said:
Nope, the fungia didn't make it. The sand damage was too much and it just receded so much so quickly it was a lost cause. :-(

I most likely will not be trying another one due to my sand sifters, but if you can keep it from getting covered it should be an ok coral to keep. really pretty too which is what first attracted me to it.

Cool, thanks for the info!

Sorry about the coral not making it.

So, since I have the aipastia eating copperband in this tank I have been adding rocks that have them to the tank for him to eat. lol LAst night I moved a rock with 3 on it in and this time I stood and watched. Within 5 seconds the copperband was on the rock and ate one. The a few seconds later he got the other one. It was really cool to watch. The butterfly is awesome. :-D

On a bad note, I moved my monti out of this tank and over to my 60g, it looks like it has brown jelly disease. :-(((( Part of it has already turned white, hoping I got the goo off and it recovers but I'm not too terribly hopeful.

I also think I am going to get 2 yellow corsi wrasses for this tank to munch the flatworms, plus they are pretty cool fish.

Thats it for the update, other than the monti everything is doing well.

here are some shots i took today, was kinda bored. lol

Put in a sheet of seaweed and they went nuts!

img_1949573_0_ece117f0a68ece3b04a8ac7b3e207d9b.jpg

img_1949573_1_b59327d44c67c8ef81bc63afc24b3b62.jpg

img_1949573_2_c25a72640c78cf34f0742fe7eb514cfc.jpg

img_1949573_3_6ada9762fa10585acca077ffd73dee92.jpg

img_1949573_4_cbc04b5c0cfd3110296ec85088742362.jpg

It's kinda not really well made lol. I had to glue the cover on the outside part since it fell off pretty much when i first got it. But otherwise I feel I got my $22 worth. Much more convienent than the regular clips/.

It's pretty sturdy, have yet to have it fall off on the inside of the tank. :) If you hit it with the magfloat it will just move across the glass pretty much.

Back
Top Bottom