Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides wanting to see the new corals, whats the update on this upcoming last of the last last new tanks? Is there a 200 coming your way or not?

In terms of lighting, go with how Kio hung her new lights. I'm actually realy jealous of it. My radions are hanging...but they are far from straight. If I could build a canopy I would totally hook it up like she did and maybe rubberize or seal the metal L brackets holding up the lights.

I never heard back from the people with the 180g RR tank and the ones for the 275g tank are too firm on their price. :-( I am still looking for an upgrade for this tank though, on active search duty. lol

Here are some shots of the new corals as well as one of the watchman out and one of the lawnmower blenny just chilling on the GSP rock. :-D

img_1984474_0_c7443cd3d3f1ca1f53cd30c0ad448176.jpg

img_1984474_1_616e16a8790cfdc36ee03ad2d04b3f06.jpg

img_1984474_2_e999f2d3f85e1bd78b3d26b47f4baa1a.jpg

img_1984474_3_ab5f0fe2f60cbe82ee596e430268fb74.jpg

img_1984474_4_2139b451a53adbdb4d9fff6abf351dd8.jpg

Nice stuff Carey!
$25 for that Favia is insane!!!
That Cephastrea will grow quickly, mine spreads just as fast as Red Cap.
Good luck with them. :)

Thanks guys. :)

I hope I do better with this one than the last one I had. That one got kinda burned up under the new leds and the fish covered it with sand so it didn;t stand a chance. :-(

I almost bought a 6-8 inch cephastrea today too, but it wasnt as colorful as the one I did get. It;s also a tyree if that makes any difference. The "specialty" names and stuff usually dont get me but this new LFS had all that "name brand" stuff. All I know is it was pretty and cheap so I'm good to go. lol

I have never seen anything like that cephastrea before. Not even on LA. Are they hard to care for? So cool looking, like little volcanos. While I'm on my court trip to Baltimore on Monday, I'm hoping to come home with something cool like that.

From my limited knowledge of them, medium light and flow. I had the last one on the sandbed and it did fine until I moved it to the 60g. Come to think of it, I don't recall having seen them at LA either. I run into them all the time at local stores. A little on the pricey side but something different than the usual run of the mill coral so I figured why not? lol

Sniperhank said:
I have never seen anything like that cephastrea before. Not even on LA. Are they hard to care for? So cool looking, like little volcanos. While I'm on my court trip to Baltimore on Monday, I'm hoping to come home with something cool like that.

Go to house of tropical! Awesome coral and fish. #1 LFS in MD and check out Today's Pet. They've got bad fish selection but real cheap coral and healthy frags.

Sniperhank said:
Besides wanting to see the new corals, whats the update on this upcoming last of the last last new tanks? Is there a 200 coming your way or not?

In terms of lighting, go with how Kio hung her new lights. I'm actually realy jealous of it. My radions are hanging...but they are far from straight. If I could build a canopy I would totally hook it up like she did and maybe rubberize or seal the metal L brackets holding up the lights.

Kio is a he... Lol

Ibrahim said:
Go to house of tropical! Awesome coral and fish. #1 LFS in MD and check out Today's Pet. They've got bad fish selection but real cheap coral and healthy frags.

House of Tropicals is fantastic and they have a huge selection in salt you just have to look
I always happen to get there when there's a new shipment in lol

I got curious about what they looked like. They are awesome and alot of varieties also. If I looked at the right ones, you can get them at Vivid Aquariums.com

So a quick update on how this tank is going. :)

All the fish are fat and healthy and doing well. The corals have been hit or miss. An entire head fell off of my torch coral but the rest looks fine. Also having some trouble with zooa's, I've been slowly moving the corals with issues over to the 60g tank where i can keep a closer eye on them.

Not sure if the bio pellet reactor has anything to do with the coral troubles and it doesn't seem to be working if at all as far as nitrates. I have noticed my phosphates have gone down but not really the nitrates. I think I will give it another month and call it a day with the pellets. lol

I am also infested with aiptasia in my sump and overflow. I mean really really bad. The overflow is almost clogged with them so I will have to do a major project and re do all the plumbing soon as i am sure they are in the pipes as well which I won't be able to get to. I have a boatload of them in my refugium and on the rocks in there so I figured I'd give my copperband a treat. lol I moved one rock with 6 on it to the main tank and got out my camera. Didn't hit record until like the 3rd aiptasia but you can see how quick she was in munching them. Even the big one on the top of the white rock. You can even see in the beginning how big a couple were but she ate them like a champ!

here is the like 30 second video of the aiptasia eating spree.

Copperband VS. Aiptasias - YouTube

Hahah AWESOME carey! Happy the tank is doing well! Keep up the great work! Ha, you should rent our that amazing fish to other people with an alistia problem!! Lol

Haven't updated this tank in awhile so figured I';d let you guys know whats been going on. :)

I had another chromis jump about a week ago so now I have 2 left. :-( Am planning on ordering 6 more this week though so I can have a proper school. lol
I also emptied the refugium of the rock and macro, it hasnt been growing or doing anything but taking up room so it's gone. I moved the skimmer into the middle section now which makes the input section so much easier to work with. I also took down the biopellet reactor, after about 5 months all I noticed was a slight decrease in phosphates which I can get with regular gfo running so thats the plan on that. Also makes the power cord situation underneath alot neater, no more fuge light and no pump for the biopellets. :)

I have also moved out most of the more difficult corals over to my 60g. Going forward I am gonna stick to easy guys and larger specimens, I'd like to concentrate more on fish in this tank now. So I have maybe 15 corals left in the tank, mostly big ones so it doesnt look too too empty. lol

So, on my to get list of fish I think i will add the 6 chromis and then maybe next month add two more female anthias for my male squareback. I swear the anthias' are more active than the tangs. LOL I am also thinking of adding another tang but no where close to picking one so it'll be awhile.

Thanks everyone who has followed this thread, I appreciate it and hope that it has been somewhat helpful to you guys. ;-)

Once I get everything squared away i will take some new videos of the re arranged tank and it's new inhabitants.

Back
Top Bottom