Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #181
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol yeah that gets discouraging, and don't live through hers, you'll only end up making yourself jealous. eventually i'm sure you'd get a setup like this and be happy with it, like i eventually plan on doing

Old 05-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #182
Aquarium Advice Addict

i plan on it but 14 and in an appartment isn't so great i may get a summer job make bewteen 500-1000 im thinkin of spending 400 on a laptop 50-60 on the lights for my 10 reef and was wondering are the cubes worth the price?

xxwolfpackof1xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #183
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As for the corner of the tank I would glue a peace of glass to that corner fro inside so it makes it strong. If it is in the back then it won't be visible anyway

Good luck
Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #184
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
I dont think the pump itself is adjustable but many people put a valve on the return line to adjust flow.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #185
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh ok a valve. Got it. I have the hardware picked out just not sure how to plumb it all. LOL

Will a mag 9.5 be enough return or too much for a 1200gph overflow? I'm guessing here so help if you can.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #186
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm now looking at skimmers. My plan is to use my cuirrent remora with a mag3 pump but I'm looking anyway. lol

Eshopps PSK 150 In Sump Protein Skimmer, 100-150 gal. tank - AquaCave

Any good? It's kinda cheap but I can't afford $300 or more for a super skimmer. This is a maybe item right now, gotta see how much money I go through getting the sump all together.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #187
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you plan on restricting flow I suggest you have the pump go off in a Y with one end going to the tank and the other going to the sump, having a valve on each and adjust the flow by opening the sump end of the Y until it is fully open and then start closing the one to the DT, That way you won't burn out your pump pre maturely by having too much back pressure. The valve that goes to your sump will probably only need to be open a little bit and your DT stay open the whole way.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #188
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
here's something that may or may not help DIY Plumbing 101 - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

I would assume the 9.5 to be too small as at 3 ft if static head you're looking at just over 800 gph on the pump, the overflow box is making sure everything balances in the end so only 800 comes from the tank 800 back in... as long as your using ph's to get more flow in the tank its probably ok. at least it'll give your skimmer time to work. once again all my knowledge is from books at this point, so it's tough to say for certain but I know some others will chime in with their thoughts as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #189
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
here's something that may or may not help DIY Plumbing 101 - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

I would assume the 9.5 to be too small as at 3 ft if static head you're looking at just over 800 gph on the pump, the overflow box is making sure everything balances in the end so only 800 comes from the tank 800 back in... as long as your using ph's to get more flow in the tank its probably ok. at least it'll give your skimmer time to work. once again all my knowledge is from books at this point, so it's tough to say for certain but I know some others will chime in with their thoughts as well.
+1
You probably won't have an issue with your overflows not being able to handle it, but if you do have too much (because you got a different pump or decide to put 2) and you want to "hold back" some of the flow I would do the Y, so you don't burn your pump out prematurely
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #190
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
If you plan on restricting flow I suggest you have the pump go off in a Y with one end going to the tank and the other going to the sump, having a valve on each and adjust the flow by opening the sump end of the Y until it is fully open and then start closing the one to the DT, That way you won't burn out your pump pre maturely by having too much back pressure. The valve that goes to your sump will probably only need to be open a little bit and your DT stay open the whole way.

As usual, I,m not sure I get it. The pump will be submerged in the last chamber. You mean to add a Y tot he output hose and go from there? Is it beneficial to have a shut off valve on the overflow intake as well?

I was only going with the double overflow cause the sump has two incoming bulkheads. Is a double still the way to go then? I would like to be able toshut down the system in case of emergency. i also lose my power quite frequently here so I don't want any floods.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com