Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a warning the foxface lo can be a coral nipper, we had to return ours since it wouldn't leave the brains alone. We also had a orange spot rabbit fish which is in the same family I believe and he also wouldn't leave the brains alone. He is living in our sump now.

Both left no horrible damage but our brains were closed up for months and we couldn't figure out why.

I soo didn't know that! Thanks for the warning! I don't think I will be getting another brain coral, kinda still jaded from the one I had that didn't make it. Did it nip at any other corals? I have over 20 I think, pretty much everything else from zooa's to sps.

Thanks again kelsey!

I would ditch the blue tang and get the foxface, if I am not mistake the blue tangs are suppose to have 180 gallon minimum anyway.

I was thinking it would be my centerpiece fish LOL. But the LO might work out instead. According to liveaquaria its a 125g min. I'm looking at the caribean/atlantic blue tang.

from what live aquaria says that the Lo can feed on all sorts of LPS and softies.

the blue tangs are just an awesome fish, i wouldn't try the want to trade it out for a foxface

Yeah, after all this work and money to get a 6 foot tank I should have as many tangs as I can LOL.

The LO is just so cool looking.....but if he nips corals I will have to pass....
Maybe I'll lean back towards a schooling fish. I want color in the tank so the blue and yellow tang should be quite bold. I was looking at lyretail anthias which are red/yellow/orange-ish. Thats most of the colors I like so maybe I'll just do the 2 tangs and anthias.

I had a post about the foxface a little while back, because I saw Live aquaria said reef safe with caution. Everyone said they had never seen theirs nip at anything.

Not to say that they won't, but everyone seemed to have no issue with them, my LFS has one in his 300 gallon reef.

i guess you feed them enough that they won't go after the corals. i've never housed any so i wouldn't know just read it off live aquaria

i would think that a blue tang should still do well in a 125. if you look at all aspects the main differnce between a tall 180 and a 125is the height, they both are 72"x18" just one is 22" tall while the other is 30". with you go with a standard 180 that is 72"x24"x24" its 6" deeper and 2" taller the swimmign space is more or less the length not really the depth or height

It would do well, I was thinking she wanted the blue hippo tang. lol I don't know why you couldn't have the blue, yellow, and a foxface in that setup.

i am talkign abotu a hippo though, the allowable space for it to swim is more or less the same in a 180 or a 125 only thing is you can get 125 in 48" or 60" as well as 72". a48" or 60" really don't have the space for a 12" long adult blue tang needs to swim were as a 72" long has ample froom for dashed swimming before it is forced to turn

Purevil21 said:
It would do well, I was thinking she wanted the blue hippo tang. lol I don't know why you couldn't have the blue, yellow, and a foxface in that setup.

I was thinking the same thing. Lol. But I think all three and schooling fish might be too much. I'll have to do some more research into the lo

I wouldn't house a hippo in a 120 because when full grown it could barely turn around in the 120, that is where the 180 would be advantageous.

Back
Top Bottom