Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is the one I'm gonna go with most likely

Eshopps Refugium Filters | Filters | PetSolutions

I'm going for the middle one, has more skimmer room.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok so I've done my research. I think I'm ready. For now I'm gonna go with the eshopps dual overflow box 1000gph and a mag drive 12 @ 1200gph. I think this will be ok since that gph isn't including the head of say 4ft. I will buy an extra cheap pump though for those just in case moments.

My next big question is do I use 3/4" return tubing or go with 1"? The return nozzle on the mag12 is 3/4 but the intake on the overflows is 1".

Personally I am thinking on running everything with 1" to make everything easier down below. I am thinking on adding and inline heater and maybe a uv sterilizer. (with or without its benefits might give it a try). Also where would I put the ATO down there? in the refugium section or the return compartment?

I can buy a bunch of adapters, they are really cheap actually and do it that way. OR am I trying too hard and just stay with the same as the return pumps 3/4"?

Thanks. I feel I have come sooo far in just a few short days, and it's all due to you guys helping me out.

As a side note, anyone wanna snap a picture of their sump/refugium setup? Just so I know what I'm aiming for.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #203
Aquarium Advice Addict

It doesn't matter either way you go, but just to be safe you could go with the 1" tubing.. though I doubt it will pump any faster than it would with the 3/4" tubing since that's how big the return is.

(posting cuz i'm tired of reading and not being notified of updates, LOL)
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL Thanks Scott. I'm aiming for getting this tank up and running by next weekend so theres alot to be done. And alot more questions as I go.

Just trying to get my final buy list together now so I can start ordering. I think I'm gonna set it up in my garage first and run all the plumbing while in there. I know I'm gonna have a problem balancing input and output. I also will be adding a valve on the return line to regulate it.

I found this online

Aquarium Filters: Continuous Siphon Overflow

If I used this and the power goes out will the siphon break? cause that would ROCK if it did since my power goes out several times a week for a minute or less. Anyone think it's worth the extra $$ ??

Thanks guys. I'm almost there......
Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'd use 3/4", the way i see it is the higher yougo the more weight and the harder the pump works. so the smaller tubing would hold less water restricting less flow and increase the head output at higher levels then the larger tubing
Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I didn't post it but I decided on 3/4" earlier today. Just makes more sense. plus i won't be adding anything inline like a heater or UV, researched them out and I'm gonna pass.

can i list my final list of equipment and can you guys let me know if I got it right?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #207
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
You and ME both LOL.

You never know how things will turn out with me.

As long as this one doesn't leak and I dont' flood the house.
It would be the BIGGEST bum if that happened again. Hey Carey, can you get a black and white clownfish? LOL. They are SO pretty. Well IMO
Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So here is the list. I have spent days compiling it and comparing prices and this is what I've got.

Model 200 Eshopps Refugium Filters | Filters | PetSolutions

2 1400's Koralia Evolution Pumps | Power Heads | PetSolutions

Overflow dual 1000 model Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

Return pump- Aquarium Water Circulation and Water Pumps: Taam Rioģ HyperFlow

JBJ Macro Glo Adjustable
Refugium Light

Eshopps PSK 150 In Sump
Protein Skimmer, 100-150 gal.
tank

For the new lights:

6 ATI aquablue specials
2 ATI Blue Plus
4 ATI Actinic

So what do you think? I went with a cheaper pump for now and the skimmer looks to be Ok.

Any input, opinions or experience with anything listed above?

I so need the help, I've got just a couple days to finalize all this. I'm gettting soo excited!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #209
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm most places i read say that the true actinics look off, and the PAR on the blue plus is still high so you can use the blue plus as your actinics and aquablue plus as your day lights, oooorrrr i'm still lookign into this a mix pf purple plus and blue plus
Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have 4 bulbs on one switch and two on the other. I was gonna use the aquablues as the whites like I do on my 55g and add one blue plus to run with the whites on the one switch. The 2 true actinics on each side will be my blues.

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com