Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carey, go to the dollar store and buy one of those grabbers for elderly folks, then you could reach easily! Lol, I would get the one for kids with the t-rex head!

Really? I thought tangs were peaceful or semi aggerssive? I am hoping an atlantic blue tang and a yellow tang get along. Even the yellow is pegged as being semi aggressive to other tangs.

You need to post your potential stock list in your thread so we can see!

How many fish do you think I can keep in this 125g? I only have 5 fish coming over from the 55g and they are kinda small.

Carey, go to the dollar store and buy one of those grabbers for elderly folks, then you could reach easily! Lol, I would get the one for kids with the t-rex head!

I have the stick with the tongs already, LOL, I use it to flip over snails and pick up frags my hermits drop. I can't even reach my arm into the tank without a step stool. I'm only 5 foot 2 and 3/4. ;-)

Most tangs are not aggressive towards other fish, but many of them are aggressive toward other tangs. You have to remember that in the wild they compete for the same food source. I watched a pretty interesting documentary yesterday that showed the powder blue tangs fending off a school of convict tangs from their reef.

I'm just looking to mix yellows with the blues LOL. I'm still not sure if I want more than one yellow one, I hear when they mature they dont hang out together and can become aggressive towards each other. I've heard this from several sources. I would love a school of tangs ( like 3).

i still dont know what fish i want in my new aquarium yet now that you guys are talking about it, maybe a school of anthias and a yellow tang or two along with the fish i have now in my 55G

If your going multiple with yellow tangs make it atleast three. Two will fight from what I have heard.

I've heard a lot of success storys with two tangs, as long as their shape and body color are different they should be fine. Especially if they are introduced at the same time. Our achilles tang was added wayyy after the yellow tang and they don't bother each otherat all, we have also added a clown tang that got along with the yellow tang but ended up not making it :(.

(I'm not too sure about adding multiple yellow tangs, though they do swim together in schools very happily at the LFS, I bet it would be fine if you got them young)

Last edited:
I was talking about two of the same species, as long as you keep either one or three + then I don't think there would be issues. I have heard of issues with yellow tangs kept as a pair.

At least 2 tangs will be my first additions. :) I'm still thinking just one yellow with a blue atlantic one. I didn't know they had to be introduced together, thanks for the heads up!

Not always a must, but much better to do at once. That way one doesn't have an established territory to defend when the second is introduced. Those two will look nice together, nice color variation. Think what you could out in the 265 your going to buy!

It doesn't look like an eight foot in the pictures. It looks like a 6 foot that is exceptionally tall. If it is eight foot and as tall as it look its way more than 265 gallons.

Just went to order my sump and its on backorder for TWO weeks!!! Now I either have to wait or pay an extra $40 and get it this week from aquacave. :-(

I soo didn't know that! Thanks for the warning! I don't think I will be getting another brain coral, kinda still jaded from the one I had that didn't make it. Did it nip at any other corals? I have over 20 I think, pretty much everything else from zooa's to sps.

Thanks again kelsey!

Forgot to reply to this! It was only the brains that I noticed him picking at, so that would include plate corals as well. We didn't have many corals in the tank at the time so he might have picked at more if he had more selection. I was probably just very unlucky with him though, I always seem to get the coral nippers!

lol 40 bucks or a 2 week wait hmm, fill up the system and start the cycle, then put the sump in. you are usign an over flow box so it shouldn't be to hard to put the sump in fill it and then have it primed and flowing

Back
Top Bottom