Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #241
Aquarium Advice Activist

Buy one of each and see how much brighter they are than the old bulbs 

Old 05-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #242
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
That statement is untrue... Pumps take next to no power... it's the heaters lets say you have 2 300W heaters and a pump (100W) that's 700W most high end computers take between 500W-1500W. Although the low end computers take 300w-700w and laptops take between 200w-500W
just because a powersupply is rated at 500 watts doesn't mean it pulls that much. they pull 500 watts at 12 VDC but they pull about .5 amps from your standard 120 volt wall outlet which is about 60 watts

carey, if you gon't have enough money for the skimmer then why not just wait. let your tank sit and cycle itself, so in about a month or so you should have enough money for the skimmer and everythign should be good to go. all nitrifying barteria should be set and waiting for live stock

Old 05-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #243
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

well cause I'm impatient. LOL no, really. Is the eshopps 150 skimmer that bad of a choice? If it's gonna be decent I think I can find my way to buying it now.

I will be holding off on the bulbs though. I decided to wait til I sell at least one of my current setups. I have a 29g on CL and the 55g goes on as soon as I move over to the 125g.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #244
Aquarium Advice Addict

i've never used the eshopps, it looks to be an alright skimmer, the construction looks to be pretty good, but the only thing is the pump i'm not sure of, thats really the biggest factor of a skimmer. yes, all the little things do change how it skims but the main thing is the pump and if it pumps enough air and chops up enough to make tiny bubbles that have a good contact time then it will be fine.

i say hold of and be patient, let everything setup the way its supposed to, you can even use your remora for a little while and keep it FOWLR until you can get the skimmer you really want
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #245
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Only you could get 17 pages in 7 days...jeeze it took a long time to catch up! I hope everything works out
Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #246
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyler View Post
Only you could get 17 pages in 7 days...jeeze it took a long time to catch up! I hope everything works out

Just more evidence that I overthink and over speak everything! LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #247
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey

Just more evidence that I overthink and over speak everything! LOL
Whatever...haha...I love your threads!!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #248
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
just because a powersupply is rated at 500 watts doesn't mean it pulls that much. they pull 500 watts at 12 VDC but they pull about .5 amps from your standard 120 volt wall outlet which is about 60 watts...
ROFL most CPU's take over 100W at idle. The .5 amps is the power it takes when turned off... just to power the switches and softstart/Network start.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #249
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
As far as the lights are concerned I'd replace a pair every couple of weeks to defer the cost out. Starting with some currently... that way you get new lights in a "timely manner" but also take less of a chance of an algae bloom from poor lighting... my 2cents if its worth it these days.
Also as long as you have a HOB skimmer I'd use that until you can get a better one. You are not even cycling yet, Lights and skimmer aren't really all that important currently right? as you should be lights off skimmer off for the next month. If your tank limps along for another month with a few bad bulbs and a skimmer that barely makes min. it'll be ok, especially if you're going to drop something worth the wait in the end. That's all we do in this hobby is wait and save for the next best thing right?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #250
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
@hackteck that skimmer is truly something else... it also appears to be fairly large!

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com