Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmmm hopefully everything stays fine, just watch that crack and make sure it doesn't spread. you might also be able to buy a new trim piece with a brace or maybe go trimless and add support bracing across the top

Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Its more of a gouge of missing glass than a crack. I was having a hard time finding a 72" trim piece, my friends need a new one for their 165g. I only found ones up to 60" I believe. But def. worth some more research. Would I just pry off the old one? Do you just re silicone it back on? We might be treading into DIY and I am SOO not good at stuff like that.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

how deep does the gouge go into the glass? if thats all it is then it should hopefully be fine.

from what i've been reading into the trim is siliconed and would need to be siliconed back, but with a razor blade that should be easy enough to cut out and clean up for re siliconing

DIY stuff isn't reallt hard, it can be fun to do. i love turnign things into a DIY project.

today i just brought home some 1/2" glass shelves that were in a clothing store that we are demolishing and extenting the Whole Foods that is beside it. well they ar 47" x 16" and i'm goign to turn that into a nice 50g or so reef, with just the cost of the silicone and maybe a diamond saw blade if i don't already have one kicking around at home.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The gouge doesnt go all the way through to the silicone, theres like a 1/4" or so left. So far it's holding. I think it was done in transport today to be honest. It's super fresh.

You're gonna build a fish tank? That is COOL! I'm oretty handy but not when it comes to being creative. LOL
Old 05-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would fill it with a clear epoxy, kind of like the stuff they use on windshields, can't see it and stronger than glass...
Don't mean to get off topic but Carey you've always had good advice....I have a yellow tail damsel that's picking on his tank mates....what do I do?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you tried moving around the rocks? Damsels are known to be bullies, sorry.

So the epoxy will be better than silicone you think? it will def look better I think.

Thanks for the suggestion! anyone see any problem with the above?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your last tank? BAH! I have no faith in this statement, but congrats on the new one! I am following every step of the way!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL The only other build that youll see is a 10g planted community tank. But I already have that tank so its more a swap from fry tank to "fish" tank.

I think I'll go get that epoxy tomorrow and fill in the gouge. It's been full of water all day and not a drip has come out. I'm hopeful I didn't get a lemon like I did with the first BioCube I got from CL.

I know I'm jumping WAY ahead but I am starting to daydream about stocking this new tank.

Here is the stock list I have so far:
2 B&W oscellaris HAVE ALREADY
1 lawnmower Blenny HAVE ALREADY
1 Pink spotted watchman Goby HAVE ALREADY
1 Royal Gramma HAVE ALREADY

1 Yellow Tang PROPOSED
1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang PROPOSED
1 Sand sifting Goby, undetermined
4-6 small schooling fish undetermined

How's that look? I think I'm being cautious but would love to hear your opinions.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking good, why not a rabbitfish? You should have enough room left for one.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
ive been thinking of having a school of anthias its just a thought i saw a video on youtube of them and their school of fish looks pretty cool

Tags
1.5g, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com